PDA

View Full Version : Fine hair = flat helmet? :(

oktobergoud
February 5th, 2012, 11:57 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/postalwar/haaar.jpg

Hey guys! I'm having a problem. Well I've had that problem for many years now ;)

Thing is, I have fine hair, but it's not THAT thin. It's also a bit wavy, but it seems like every single thing weighs it down! It's so frustrating.

In the picture on the left, it just dried from washing at night. Right is the morning after when I woke up :(

I'm not going to lie, this problem has caused me to cut my hair short many times! I just can't enjoy it when it's so flat, and since it's still short, I can't really do much with it. (I do braid it and stuff like in my siggie, but that gets old fast and I don't really like that look). It looks like I have super super thin hair, while I don't really have really thin hair (my pony stub measured 2,5 inches, and not even all my hair was in it, so I'm definitely an ii. My hair is thicker at the back though!)

I'm already cone-free, and I have to admit that I used a way too heavy product last night (R&B from Lush), but I love it dearly ;) Anyway, I'm still flabbergasted that it looks so fluffy and full after it has dried, and then I slept on it and it's super super flat! I didn't change anything, I just slept on it!

So.. I don't know what to do :( I know it will be easier when it gets longer, but for now it's super annoying :( I do want to take care of it properly, but on the other hand it seems like every conditioning thing makes it flat and heavy :(

Any ideas?

Madora
February 5th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Perhaps diluting the conditioner you use (and the shampoo as well) might help.

I don't know how it is with others, but my hair is usually pretty "frisky" the first day or two after washing but calms down fairly quickly.

If "bounce" is important to you, then perhaps you can find a hair friendly product that you can put on your hair to give it that appearance.

Zefyra
February 5th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Hmmm.. perhaps if you must wash your hair before bed, then next morning you could dampen it with water and then allow it to dry again? I have the same issue and I did that often when my hair was that length. (Now its long enough that I have to put it up at work so it usually doesnt matter how flat and weird it looks. Lol)

Thats really my only advice, I think it looks cute fluffy as well as more flattened, for whatever that may be worth.

Hairizona
February 5th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Longer hair is never going to look as "fluffy" as short hair. That is something you just have to get used to as you grow it out. It does take a while to get used to that. But from the photos that I see, you can definitely pull off "flatter" hair w/o any problem- you are pretty!
Since it is flat in the morning, why not mist it or wash it in the morning so that you have a more full look?
I have similar issues with my hair- I have bangs of a sort and some of the bangs I am letting grow out, so right now they are rather face-framing. I find that my hair is easily weighed down if I put any product on these bits- they don't look fuller, and in the morning are flat. I do better with nothing on them or I can wash those bits in the morning (I don't wash my hair every day).
By the way, if that is you in braids, you are adorable! Good style for you; at least I think so....

teela1978
February 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Mine is usually a flat helmet as well, even at shorter lengths. I've mostly just gotten over it and decided I look okay with a flat helmet :)

Kelikea
February 5th, 2012, 12:20 PM
The R&B is probably too heavy for your hair, it is meant for African or curly hair. Maybe just use it weekly or monthly for a deep treatment. Have you tried brushing your hair upside down in the morning? Or lightly blowdrying on cool setting upside down? My sister does this to get volume. She has hair similar to yours.

oktobergoud
February 5th, 2012, 12:21 PM
To all:

Just to be clear, I don't wash in the morning now because it's freezing outside! And you probably won't believe it, but it takes at least 2,5 hours for it to dry! I don't have that time before I go to work :)

And when I do that, it still looks bad on the second day :( I don't want to wash my hair every day! My hair is also a bit dry as well so it does need to be conditioned.. it's annoying.

Longer hair is never going to look as "fluffy" as short hair. That is something you just have to get used to as you grow it out. It does take a while to get used to that. But from the photos that I see, you can definitely pull off "flatter" hair w/o any problem- you are pretty!
Since it is flat in the morning, why not mist it or wash it in the morning so that you have a more full look?
I have similar issues with my hair- I have bangs of a sort and some of the bangs I am letting grow out, so right now they are rather face-framing. I find that my hair is easily weighed down if I put any product on these bits- they don't look fuller, and in the morning are flat. I do better with nothing on them or I can wash those bits in the morning (I don't wash my hair every day).
By the way, if that is you in braids, you are adorable! Good style for you; at least I think so....

When my hair was collarbone length/apl it was also 'fluffy', but back then I never used conditioner :P I guess my hair looks a lot fuller when it's longer anyway, but with this hairstyle it really annoys me when it lies so flat :(

& Thank you! :)

The R&B is probably too heavy for your hair, it is meant for African or curly hair. Maybe just use it weekly or monthly for a deep treatment. Have you tried brushing your hair upside down in the morning? Or lightly blowdrying on cool setting upside down? My sister does this to get volume. She has hair similar to yours.

Ah I know it is too heavy, but it does wonders to my dry hair :) And it smells sooo good! I normally do use it as a deep treatment kind of thing, yes :) (Won't be re-buying it again)

I'll try the brushing! I have no idea if I still have a blowdryer, honestly, haven't seen that thing for over a year.. oops! :P Thank you :)

oktobergoud
February 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Perhaps diluting the conditioner you use (and the shampoo as well) might help.

I don't know how it is with others, but my hair is usually pretty "frisky" the first day or two after washing but calms down fairly quickly.

If "bounce" is important to you, then perhaps you can find a hair friendly product that you can put on your hair to give it that appearance.

Oh I'd love to find a hair friendly product to give me a bit more volume! :)

I do love Osis+ Dust It (from Schwarzkopf) but it makes my hair ROUGH like hay, sadly :(

Does anyone know a good hair friendly product for more volume? :)

swearnsue
February 5th, 2012, 12:32 PM
My hair does the same thing so I use the Caruso curlers. You wash your hair the night before, like you are doing and then in the morning you can use the Caruso on your dry hair. It gives lift if you use the extra large rollers, or curly if you use the smaller rollers. It won't dry your hair out either.

oktobergoud
February 5th, 2012, 12:34 PM
My hair does the same thing so I use the Caruso curlers. You wash your hair the night before, like you are doing and then in the morning you can use the Caruso on your dry hair. It gives lift if you use the extra large rollers, or curly if you use the smaller rollers. It won't dry your hair out either.

I was just looking into the Caruso rollers yesterday! They seem ideal.. I do need to save up some money though! :) I think I'll buy them when I have the money!

MaryMarx
February 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Mine is totally flat too, after I've slept on it. No one believes me when I say I have curly hair. :(

TiffanieJean
February 5th, 2012, 01:05 PM
We basically have the same kind of hair. Do you use a clarifier? Thet help me a lot. Build up happens really quick for me and is one of the biggest problems I have with my hair.

Also, I have to blow dry my hair to get decent volume before I do anything else to it. I'm trying to cut down on that right now, but it's really the only thing that works. I use Tresemmes thermal creations volumizing mousse and it easily doubles the volume of my hair, but you have to use heat for that product to properly activate... :rolleyes:

I'm about to buy some Caruso rollers. I think another poster mentioned them on here. They seem great. It would be SO nice it they work well. :pray:

schweedie
February 5th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Have you ever tried vinegar rinses? They seem to make my fine, thin and straight hair at least a little fluffier! :)

teela1978
February 5th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Have you ever tried vinegar rinses? They seem to make my fine, thin and straight hair at least a little fluffier! :)

Interesting... I get the opposite effect, mine ends up flatter!

chou
February 5th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Aagh the volumeless second-day bob, bane of my workday existence!
If you can get at least the top layer of your hair into a very high ponytail right on top of your head while you sleep, this has helped me with lift. I have thick hair and it still goes totally flat after sleeping on it. A mister bottle and cold blowdrying is pretty good too.
Also, Caruso rollers!! My favorite new toy. So much volume and they almost work better on one or two days dirty hair than on clean hair. With short hair like ours, the jumbo rollers are bit too big to stay in place. The medium ones might work better.

|Xei
February 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM
(Didn't skim through the thread, so forgive me if this has already been suggested)

Try tying as much of your hair as possible into a ponytail right on top of your head and sleep with that. Keep the ponytail loose so that you don't end up with funky kinks in your root area.

I have the same problem, and this is what I do when I want that fluffy hair look.

holothuroidea
February 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Caruso rollers!!!!! (Do it.)

The top of the head pony tail is a good idea too.

Otherwise, longer hair does this unless it is very wavy/curly and it's just something we have to deal with. I hope you find a solution!

My hair sticks straight out from my head until it reaches about 2-3 inches and then it lays completely flat. There is no in-between. Stupid hair.

Mesmerise
February 5th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hmm can't say as I have much advice, because I actually like it when my floofy hair flattens!! I guess it's all about personal taste :).

I think if you wear your hair up when you sleep, you'll create a bit more body, but may have to play around with ways you can wear it up without it looking silly when you take it out the next day??

jacqueline101
February 5th, 2012, 03:16 PM
My hair gets thinner as it gets longer. I think its hair nature but brushing it upside down works for some people.

NaiadOreiad
February 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hey girly!! I think you and i have very similar hair types. My tricks:

1. After a shower, i usually flip it upside down and let it dry in a super loose bun on top of my head, until it is only slightly damp, then i let it down.

2. In the shower: I NEVER condition my roots (unless they have been dry and frizzy and then i only put a tiny amount of diluted condish up there). I only put it full strength on the last few inches, as those are the most fragile.

Sometimes druing the day i just flip it upside down and massage the roots a little and that picks up the volume too. Good luck!

Vanilla
February 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM
My hair also gets flatter overnight. I also wash at nighttime as well. I use a fairly light conditioner, and I don't oil until the day that I wash and I tie it up. I get the most amazing volume with bun waves if I put the bun loosely on top of my head. This may work for you when your hair is longer.

I found that dry shampoo and a BBB brush, brushing the hair upside down the following morning does help a bit with volume for the following day.

oktobergoud
February 6th, 2012, 01:54 AM

I did! I got very limp hair (and I honestly can't stand the smell :() Funny how it works differently for everyone :)

Aagh the volumeless second-day bob, bane of my workday existence!
If you can get at least the top layer of your hair into a very high ponytail right on top of your head while you sleep, this has helped me with lift. I have thick hair and it still goes totally flat after sleeping on it. A mister bottle and cold blowdrying is pretty good too.
Also, Caruso rollers!! My favorite new toy. So much volume and they almost work better on one or two days dirty hair than on clean hair. With short hair like ours, the jumbo rollers are bit too big to stay in place. The medium ones might work better.

I'll try that high ponytail soon! Sounds like it could work :)

Hey girly!! I think you and i have very similar hair types. My tricks:

1. After a shower, i usually flip it upside down and let it dry in a super loose bun on top of my head, until it is only slightly damp, then i let it down.

2. In the shower: I NEVER condition my roots (unless they have been dry and frizzy and then i only put a tiny amount of diluted condish up there). I only put it full strength on the last few inches, as those are the most fragile.

Sometimes druing the day i just flip it upside down and massage the roots a little and that picks up the volume too. Good luck!

I never condition my roots either! :) But since I have short hair, it's sometimes really hard to just do the ends, but I'm trying!
I wish my hair was long enough for a bun, but as soon as it is, I'll try that out :)

Thanks guys! I'm going to try some upside down brushing now!

turtlelover
February 6th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Catnip tea is a GREAT for adding volume and is good for removing tangles. Using that as a conditioner always gives me BIG hair to the point where I avoid it!