PDA

View Full Version : Can Using Coconut Oil add yellowness to hair?

HollywoodRouge
February 5th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I read on here somewhere that coconut oil can sometimes bring out brassiness/yellowness in hair (or maybe it was just highlighted hair), but i can't find anything on it? So is it myth or fact? And what about other oils? I've heard it can fade dye too, but I'm not worried about that ;)

spidermom
February 5th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I don't think so. Coconut oil is clear to white. Mine is, anyway.

beachgirlla
February 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM
YES it did for me, I have hennaed hair over chemically dyed hair and did notice some brassiness showing up, this did not happen with regular wash/con, only when I did the coconut oil, I had it on overnight, while I liked the nutrition effects of it, I did not like the fact the my hair looked a little more curly and this on my hair will mean more frizzy, will forget the coconut for now :(

turtlelover
February 5th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I have gray in my hair, and never noticed any color change at all. Maybe it would be more of an issue if I colored, I don't know.

dwell_in_safety
February 5th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I only use it for a deep treatment about once every other week, but so far it's done nothing to change the color of my virgin hair. My mostly dyed length seems to be having the color lightly stripped out of it from the oil, but it's not anything I worry about as it was dyed chemically and I am growing the dye out anyway. It's just interesting because now it's obvious to me that the dye lightly bleached my hair as well (as most chemical dyes apparently do).

pink.sara
February 5th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I have never noticed coconut oil affecting my hair colour. I use it regularly and even on my white steak saw no change. Plus my virgin coconut oil is white itself.

blondie9912
February 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I've been using coconut oil fom ages and haven't seen it do anything to my hair colour.

blondie9912
February 5th, 2012, 02:40 PM
YES it did for me, I have hennaed hair over chemically dyed hair and did notice some brassiness showing up, this did not happen with regular wash/con, only when I did the coconut oil, I had it on overnight, while I liked the nutrition effects of it, I did not like the fact the my hair looked a little more curly and this on my hair will mean more frizzy, will forget the coconut for now :(

From what I heard, henna oxidizes over time, bringing brassy/orange tones in your hair to the surface. I don't think this was a result of the coconut oil, but I may be wrong :shrug:

Kaelee
February 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I've been using coconut oil daily on my dark hennaed hair and if there's been any color change at all I'm confident it's not from the coconut oil.

Gingerbear
February 5th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I have heavily highlighted blonde hair and have never had a problem with the coconut oil. Of course I do use a purple shampoo once a week, so maybe that helps.

Lissandria
February 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Interesting question. I have been using a castor oil/coconut oil mix on my scalp and I have noticed my ashy roots that are not henndigoed are looking especially golden. I have not noticed a colour change on my length, however.

jacqueline101
February 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I'm a blondette by nature and haven't noticed any difference.

HollywoodRouge
February 6th, 2012, 02:59 AM
haha wow, so many conflicting experiences!
still undecided on whether or not to get some coconut oil, maybe i'll avoid it for now just in case.

Lize
February 6th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I have used virgin coconut oil daily for years and I have not noticed any difference.

Lucky
February 6th, 2012, 03:31 AM
it's interesting, I've used coconut oil under boxed hair dye twice now and my color has turned out very brassy both times (even though I used ash colors). I like how the coconut conditions my hair and helps protect it from the harsh chemicals, but I might try to dye without coconut oil next time and see if it goes brassy or not.

ktani
February 6th, 2012, 03:47 AM
There are different coconut oils. The one I used is white, no colour but some do have a golden or brownish colour to them, so that may be the problem.

ETA: I Used pure unbleached, extra virgin coconut oil https://store.nutiva.com/coconut-oil/
"•Unbleached
•Undeodorized
•Unhydrogenated
•No Solvents
•Pure white like fresh coconut"

It is how the oil is processed that makes the colour difference.

ETA:2 It may also have to do with the age of the coconuts when harvested.