PDA

View Full Version : Desperate about static

HikerTrash
February 5th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I have fine hair about to my tailbone but it's so wispy down there. It's wispy pretty much everywhere. I'm starting to want to grab the scissors and cut a foot off. It's brittle, dry, fine and totally fly-away. I cannot go a minute without static. The static is the worst.

I'm always cold. No heat in my office. So I always wear a jacket. All my jackets are nylon or fleece so this makes the static worse. I live in a dry climate so this also makes the static bad, plus I get shocked every time I touch anything metal.

I try combing water though my hair every now and then for relief. Lasts about 2 seconds.

I wear my hair in a ponytail or braid every day because I can't stand the static.

I bought a boar bristle brush yesterday and ran it through once and oh my god the static increased to horrible proportions.

I put oil on it after a shower and still get horrible static.

I wash it only every 4 days hoping that will keep the static down.

I have spray de-tangler that fails to eliminate static.

I don't know what to do. It's driving me crazy. I'm afraid to try dryer sheets because they smell so horrible, make me sneeze and give me rashes if I use them on my clothes.

I need a real solution for this because I'm about to hack off a foot of hair. I live in Southern California if that makes any difference. Low humidity and not freezing in winter.

Madora
February 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Perhaps a humidifer in your bedroom at night?

As for the static when you brush, it can be tamed by always following each brush stroke with the palm of your other hand. The brush is the plus (+) and the palm is the minus (-).

You might want to use a tiny bit of coconut oil on your hair to help tame the static.

I'd definitely stay away from dryer sheets!

When you comb or brush your hair, what you're wearing at the time can contribute to the static as well. If you're wearing a nylon or synthetic nightgown (or standing on a rug with nylon fibers) try standing on a rubber glove to cut down on the static.

ETA: Perhaps you have a protein overload condition that is causing the static.

SoulOfTheSea
February 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Your hair is so fine that perhaps you should use a wide-toothed seamless comb. I use the Body Shop's Wooden Comb, and that has helped with static tremendously, and I live in the same area you do. Also, for me, pre-wash oiling treatments helps with my hair's static as well.

Another trick is that when my hair is about 90-95% done air-drying, I detangle it with my comb, and then put split my hair into two parts to make pigtails. I then take a dime-sized amount of silicone serum and rub that through each part. Then, I braid them into pigtails, sleep on them, and the next day I have shiny smooth waves, static free.

But like Madora said, run your hand through your hair after you have brushed it/ combed it, that helps tons.

Also, what is in your detangling spray?

Kelikea
February 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I second the humidifier! Maybe try to find cotton sweaters for work? Also, they make unscented/sensitive dryer sheets and fabric softener now, but white vinegar works as well (in place of liquid softener in the wash). Oil shampoo with vinegar rinse is supposed to cut back on static. I don't really know why, but I haven't had a problem with static this winter. Maybe you need a heavier conditioner with shea butter? Or more protein? These are two things I've been doing lately, and no static. Good Luck:)

swearnsue
February 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I have a dry climate too and the humidifier helps but *ouch* everytime I touch the lightswitch! When my hair gets staticy I use aloe vera gel or coconut oil. Otherwise you are doing everything I can think of already.

ravenreed
February 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM
In my house, static means the air is too dry and it is time for the humidifier. I also find using a horn comb gives me less static than my other styling tools.

shikara
February 5th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your hair problem - and your work environment. I couldn't afford a humidifier so I got one of those vaporizers, you know, for when you are sick? it worked a bit, but what works the best for me (and it's very dry in this winter here!) is:

- wet my length by dipping it in a container with warm water, let it drink some, like for about one minute
- lift it out and apply a deep moisturizing condish - I use loreal
- put on a shower cap for twenty minutes or more
- go wash my hair and apply more condish

So this is CWC obviously but I make sure to use an actual deep conditioner before. Hope you find a solution to your problem quickly!

ladyshep
February 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
!. Use a little mineral oil (baby oil) on damp hair instead of cones, it seals in moisture. (Or some other oil like people have suggested.) May help with the damage.

2. Your hair may be very delicate. You can try using baby shampoo. It has anti-static ingredients in it and it is very gentle on fine hair.

3. You could try clarifying, if you haven't already. You also can try Biolage anti-dry hydrating shampoo. It might be a little too much for your hair, though, but you could give it a try. I use a moisturizing shampoo by Vo5 and it has helped very much with my staticy hair, but it might not work for everyone.

I hope you can find a solution to your problems. It is very frusterating having staticy hair.

gracenotes
February 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Lightly oiling [not just after a wash, but over the days in between washes as well] will definitely help with static, as will a humidifier. I also recommend getting a wooden comb or brush. I find that the wood distributes oil throughout the hair well, cutting down on static tremendously.

HikerTrash
February 5th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Thank you all! That is a lot of stuff to try out. I will give those ideas a try. And duh, why didn't I think of bringing a cotton jacket to work?

Gingerbear
February 5th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Try adding the oil directly to your spray detangler. Wide tooth combs tend to be better than brushes for static, but I have heard of people lightly spraying their hairbrush with anti-static spray once a week or as needed. I also agree that a humidifier would probably be a lot of help. I live in a super humid climate, and I can't remember the last time I have had problems with static.

DoubleCrowned
February 5th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I second the humidifier! Maybe try to find cotton sweaters for work? Also, they make unscented/sensitive dryer sheets and fabric softener now, but white vinegar works as well (in place of liquid softener in the wash). Oil shampoo with vinegar rinse is supposed to cut back on static. I don't really know why, but I haven't had a problem with static this winter. Maybe you need a heavier conditioner with shea butter? Or more protein? These are two things I've been doing lately, and no static. Good Luck:)

Unscented products have fragrance in them to mask the fragrance of the chemicals. A person who is bothered by the scented version of the product to the degree OP described will most likely react badly to the unscented product as well.

Fermodyl made anti-static hair products that worked for me when I lived in the desert, but they had a strong fragrance to them when I used them. The American Indians who lived in the area used aloe vera on their hair as a conditioner.