PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on glass hair toys?

Jennoz
February 4th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I have been eyeballing some beautiful hair sticks and forks on etsy that are made of glass. They are so lovely, but I am worried that because of my slippery hair they might not hold as well as wood? I only have experinence with wood toys, and while I love them, I wanted something that wouldnt suffer from being put in damp hair... and also these glass bits are just so beautiful!
So I wanted some feedback from people who own or have tried glass hair toys. How do they hold up compared to other materials? Pros and cons? And what kind and what length of hair do you have that you were/are working with when you use them?

anikadear
February 4th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Are they the ones by LunacyMoutainGlass?? I was eyeing the ones from their shop just now and wondered the same thing about glass hair sticks and if they're reliable. My hair is really thick so I'm worried about snapping them

Jennoz
February 4th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I havent looked at theirs yet, Ive been looking at Obessories and Emergent glassworks, but Ill have to check them out too! My hair is thick, but also pin straight and slippery, so Im more worried about there not being enough friction and it slipping out and falling to the ground and making me cry!

patienceneeded
February 4th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I have one from crisantiglass and one from emergentglassworks. The crisantiglass hairstick isn't as long and has more "ridges" to help it hold without sliding. My octopus stick from emergentglassworks is longer than most sticks and very smooth, it feels slippery. I use that one with much more caution.

anikadear
February 4th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Oooo looks like I'll be heading over to both of those shops....now...

Jennoz
February 4th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Do either of you know how I can search for those vendors specifically on etsy? I tried typing in their names and it came up with nothing, is there a something I'm missing?

Chromis
February 4th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I have a stick from MJ42 that is just lovely to wear. Has a nice heft and feels very sturdy indeed. I am careful to put it into things that hold tightly, like nautilus and Gibraltar buns just in case since it is very slick, but the gentle nubbly bits seem to work pretty well. I love that I can put it in damp hair with no worries about warping or rusting!

anikadear
February 4th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Do either of you know how I can search for those vendors specifically on etsy? I tried typing in their names and it came up with nothing, is there a something I'm missing?

make sure the little tab to the left of the search box says "shops"

MandyBeth
February 4th, 2012, 10:05 PM
EG has an option where you can add a twist deal to the stick. Holds like a rock with that. MJ42 also is twisty or bumpy, they hold great.

patienceneeded
February 5th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Yeah, MIL bought me the octopus stick from EG, she didn't know to ask for it to be made less smooth for better hold. It does hold well, I just make sure to use it on styles that don't typically budge during the day. My jellyfish hairstick from Crisantiglass holds very well, no slipping at all.

BranwenWolf
February 5th, 2012, 12:14 AM
My boyfriend is a glass artist, I have ones that he made.

If the have knobs or twists they will hold pretty well, in general. I also make sure to twist the bun rather tight, too.

pepperminttea
February 5th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I have a spiralled/twisted stick from MJ42 on Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/MJ42?section_id=6556453) - I really like it. :) (There's an action shot of it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7365&pictureid=125116).) It isn't one I reach for that often, admittedly, because I'm nervous to use it in less secure styles, but the spiralling really, really helps it stay secure. I think once you've got a few styles down to the point that you know they're going to hold, it's perfect for those. The whole thing is wonderfully tactile too, completely smooth and has that lovely 'cool to the touch' feeling. I'd recommend the seller, I convo'ed him to ask if I could reserve a stick until pay day, and he was very polite and cooperative. I've just gone and looked at his current selection to get the link, and god, I'm tempted! :D

anikadear
February 5th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I have a spiralled/twisted stick from MJ42 on Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/MJ42?section_id=6556453) - I really like it. :) (There's an action shot of it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7365&pictureid=125116).) It isn't one I reach for that often, admittedly, because I'm nervous to use it in less secure styles, but the spiralling really, really helps it stay secure. I think once you've got a few styles down to the point that you know they're going to hold, it's perfect for those. The whole thing is wonderfully tactile too, completely smooth and has that lovely 'cool to the touch' feeling. I'd recommend the seller, I convo'ed him to ask if I could reserve a stick until pay day, and he was very polite and cooperative. I've just gone and looked at his current selection to get the link, and god, I'm tempted! :D

I know!!! I'm looking now and am reeeeally trying not to buy anymore hair toys!! Must...exit...site...

sisi33
February 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I have these http://www.etsy.com/listing/72642367/aoi-sisters-ooak-octopus-hairsticks from Octopus Stew over on etsy. The sticks themselves are made by EmergentGlassworks (also on etsy), and they hold surprisingly well! My hair is super slippery right now, and I haven't had to redo my cinna-bun once today! Usually I have to do it at least once by this time.

Angel_099
February 5th, 2012, 11:39 AM
My first hair sticks were from an artist on Etsy. They were beautiful! Unfortunately...they both ended up broken within about a month. :( One of them snapped while I was putting it in my hair, and the other one I accidentally dropped. I might decide to get another one someday and just be EXTREMELY careful with it! If you get one, enjoy it...but just be super careful with it! :)

KahRistAhn
February 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah, MIL bought me the octopus stick from EG, she didn't know to ask for it to be made less smooth for better hold. It does hold well, I just make sure to use it on styles that don't typically budge during the day. My jellyfish hairstick from Crisantiglass holds very well, no slipping at all.

I LOVE Cristantiglass's jellyfish things....I gotta have one of those hairsticks someday.