PDA

View Full Version : Hair scarves for night?

kittengirl
February 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Hello, I just bought a hair wrap that you are supposed to put your hair up in at night. It is a special no-slip satin. Do any of you ladies use hair wraps/scarves at night? Is it good for the hair? If not, what is the best way to wear annoyingly layered shoulder length hair at night to protect the ends? Thanks in advance!

mzBANGBANG
February 4th, 2012, 07:09 PM
This is what I do :) I started a couple months ago and have noticed amazing change. My hair feels cleaner longer, too. Benefits are less split ends.

elfgirl
February 4th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I don't do this yet, but have been interested in doing so. Any advice on what size of scarf, how to wrap, etc? ^_^

rock007junkie
February 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I use a satin bonnet. I've tried the scarf and not matter how I tie it, it always slips off my head in the middle of the night.

kittengirl
February 4th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Mine is like a hood with long ends that you are supposed to wrap around. I'm still fiddling around with how to use it. Do you just tuck the hair up under it? Does it bend the hair?:confused:

shikara
February 4th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I like using them. Most of mine came from Ardene's - they are the long ones. Usually I put a silly silk bonnet on first, otherwise sometimes the scarves have a tendency to catch my nape hairs.

sarah061
February 4th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Where did you get your hair wrap from?

I made the mistake of buying this sleep cap that had a very itchy and tight elastic band on it - so uncomfortable!!

I think using a silk scarf for sleep would be excellent at preventing damage - I still don't have a silk pillowcase...

kittengirl
February 4th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I just bought an inexpensive one from wal-mart. It seems to be secure, though I have not put it to the test yet.

anikadear
February 4th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I use one. I just put it on like you would do covering your hair with a scarf to go outside, then tie it at the nape and wrap the loose ends up to the top of my head and tie together. I never sleep without it. My hair was breaking at the hairline in the front before because I wasn't wrapping at night and since I have been, it's been so much better.

Shahada
February 4th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I wrap my waist length hair like a doobie and wrap with a satin wrap. It's gonna fall off but I sometimes put a headband around it and it helps a bit.

filthygorgeous
February 4th, 2012, 08:34 PM
silk pillow case

anikadear
February 4th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Mine is like a hood with long ends that you are supposed to wrap around. I'm still fiddling around with how to use it. Do you just tuck the hair up under it? Does it bend the hair?:confused:

I found this....

http://youtu.be/ltjxJdd35FA?t=40s

ludwig20
February 4th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Have you tried this method? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=126

HTH

kittengirl
February 5th, 2012, 08:13 AM
My scarf did fall off but my hair still seemed a bit nicer so I think it made it most of the night. I will try again, or maybe try a cap.

blondie9912
February 5th, 2012, 02:37 PM
My mother has this Oscar de la Renta large square silk scarf, with probably THE ugliest pattern ever on it, lol. I use it to tie my hair up at night. It's impossible for me to explain how I tie it without any visual aid, but try googling ways to tie a silk scarf around your head :) The benefits for me have been softer/silker hair and less tangles!

jacqueline101
February 5th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I wear a sleep cap and it comes off and I'm going to start finding ways to keep it on.

Tisiloves
February 16th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Try tucking the scarf over your pillow, if it's big/flat enough. Cheap/easy alternative to a satin pillowcase.

BBdck1
February 17th, 2012, 04:54 AM
I put my hair in a bun on top of my head with spin pins and just sleep on a satin pillowcase. They are really cheap at Ross. Less than $5 for a pair and ranges $14-$20 for the sheet set that comes with 4 pillowcases.

Sheryl
February 17th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Thank you for htis! I have been wondering what I should be doing with my hair at night. I usually braid it but sometimes I don't want braid kinks and I just didn't know what else to do to protect it. I have sponge rollers that I sometimes put on top of my head for sleeping too.

I have some huge satiny scarves that I am going to try for this.

Vasilissa
February 17th, 2012, 06:56 AM
This is an interesting thread. Never thought of sleeping in caps, scarves and etc. to protect my hair. Since my childhood I used to sleep with braid. Maybe I need to try this method someday as well... :hmm:

herdaughter77
February 17th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Have you tried this method? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=126

HTH

Yay!!! I've been wondering how to do this kind of thing for a long time.
Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I happen to have a scarf big enough.

Thanks, ludwig20, for the link.