PDA

View Full Version : Itchy Scalp Solutions Please!

cobden 28
February 4th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have any solutions for a very itchy scalp? I've not got dandruff or nits, and I always try to make sure I've rinsed all traces of shampoo or conditioner out of my hair after washing/conditioning, but after a couple of days my head goes all itchy/scratchy and it's so annoying!

For years I've used a supermarket own-brand shampoo and conditioner, I wash my hair once a week and always let my hair dry naturally.

Maybe I need to try a different type of shampoo or conditioner - does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try?

Kelikea
February 4th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Your scalp may be asking for more than once a wk cleansing. Can you tell if your scalp is itchy from being oily or dry? If it is dry, you can rub it with aloe vera gel or jojoba oil. If it is oily, maybe a tea tree oil massage or try washing it again. You might also find that a mild vinegar rinse is very soothing to the scalp, and it can help rebalance its pH. You can also try diluting your shampoo with a little distilled water or do CWC if the shampoo is too clarifying. Another possible culprit is sls or other type of sulfate. If your shampoo is heavy on the sulfates, you may like a sulfate-free formula better.

Toadstool
February 4th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hope you find an answer, I just googled this!

Long_hair_bear
February 4th, 2012, 02:36 PM
As far as commercial products go, I like abba's line. However, I also use handmade shampoo and conditioner from toadstool soaps on etsy. She has like 50 different scents to choose from. I love her blue lilac scent!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps

Long_hair_bear
February 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Oh and I've heard that nightbloomings triple moon anointing oil does wonders for the scalp.

eicamawa
February 4th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I've always had problems with itchy scalp, in my past it was covered in wounds from me sctraching to I bled. My problem was that I have a very sensitive scalp, so I changed my shampoo and started rinsing very carefully. Now I use KMS for sensitive scalp (they just changed thair shampoos again, don't know if I like the new one as much as the old one, but my head doesn't itch), and I also part my hair several places when rinsing.

shikara
February 4th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I second all of Kelikea's comments. it could also be very dry air where you live? Winter weather can cause this. When I was younger I had to use Selsun Blue every once in awhile for this and it worked beautifully! Now I make sure that before I shampoo, I have spent some time massaging an oil concoction onto my scalp to protect it from a lot of the shampoos drying effects as it cleanses.

cobden 28
February 4th, 2012, 05:04 PM
When I was younger I had greasy hair, but now that I'm in my 50's I think my hair is more inclined to be dry.

So maybe I should wash my hair twice weekly? And with a shampoo/conditioner that contains aloe vera or jojoba oil?

jacqueline101
February 4th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I would look and see if your shampoo and conditioner has the same ingredients. Maybe they have changed something.

Anywhere
February 4th, 2012, 05:08 PM
when my scalp does this it needs moisture or oil, so I either CO wash it or massage some oil in.

My scalp also flakes when it's itchy though so YMMV.

Kelikea
February 4th, 2012, 05:08 PM
When I was younger I had greasy hair, but now that I'm in my 50's I think my hair is more inclined to be dry.

So maybe I should wash my hair twice weekly? And with a shampoo/conditioner that contains aloe vera or jojoba oil?

If its dry, then you probably don't need to wash more frequently. And if the shampoo you have doesn't bother you, then you don't need a new one. Try diluting it a little or replace one wash with a CO (conditioner only). If your scalp is still dry, rub clear aloe vera gel onto your scalp, or jojoba oil, but it does not have to be in your shampoo, just do a scalp massage with it if it feels dry or itchy.

chou
February 4th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Trader Joe's tea tree tingle was really nice on my scalp. I didn't have bad itchies to begin with, but my scalp always felt extra nice and tingly after using this. I eventually stopped using this because even though it is sls-free, it is a pretty effective cleanser and dried out my hair too much. I have also rubbed diluted tea tree oil directly onto my scalp and that felt amazing and kept my mild dryness and itching at bay.