PDA

View Full Version : What's the longest you've ever gone without trimming?

MissHair
February 4th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Im curious to know what's the longest you've gone without trimming and how did your ends look like? Did you go without trimming a long time purely out of neglect and for forgetting to cut it or because you wanted to grow long?

I think the longest I've gone was probably 2 years, about 10 years ago. My ends were not even that damaged from what I can remember. But back then I didn't use hairdryers or flatirons.

Roscata
February 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM
There are a few threads on this subject.

This one might be of interest:
What's the longest you've gone without trimming? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66592)

MissHair
February 4th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Thank you!

jacqueline101
February 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I have went six months with out trimming my hair and my ends were healthy.

jen023
February 4th, 2012, 03:13 PM
my last hair cut was in september, I'm growing a pixie and my ends look ok.

pixietail
February 4th, 2012, 04:28 PM
It's been a couple of years since I've trimmed my hair. But my ends are kind of dry and split, so I really need to get a trim again.

Xandergrammy
February 4th, 2012, 04:32 PM
15 years. And the only reason I trimmed then was because my son was getting married the next day. :gabigrin:

elbow chic
February 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM
ha, Xandergrammy!

I just got off a two-year no-trim spree. The ends were actually in pretty good shape. Very few splits.

Mostly I just snipped off the last "layer" I had from an old haircut, which by that time was more of an annoying... tuft.

As to why? I didn't feel qualified to trim my own hair, but was too scared (and cheap) to go into the salon. I tend to get in there and suddenly feel FRUMPY compared to all the fashionable ladies, and am then a sitting duck for getting talked into yet another mid-length layered deal. :laugh:

Hotrox
February 4th, 2012, 05:19 PM
7 months and I could have gone longer as the ends were not damaged but they looked so untidy as it all seems to grow at different rates. I caved and trimmed :-)

millyaulait
February 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I think around 3 years (waaaaaaay before I joined LHC!), back in my teens. I got my hair to my waist & didn't even realize it at the time... suddenly chopped it off into a asymmetrical bob & dyed it bright red! Looking back at pictures it actually looked really healthy even though I kept it down 24/7 & never, ever trimmed it. :)

I'm doing a "No Trims 2012" kind of thing, will see how it goes!

Shahada
February 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM
6 months. Wouldn't test a year without trims. Doesn't really prove anything other than having to trim it later anyways.

Johan
February 4th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I wear my long blonde hair two-thirds of the way down my back, and sometimes my wife or one of my daughters trim my hair, but I usually get it trimmed at a beauty salon. The longest I have gone without trimming my hair is more or less a year. I usually trim it every few months to get rid of loose ends.

mz_butterfly
February 4th, 2012, 08:14 PM
The longest I went without a trim or cutting hair was 2 years. My hair broke off several inches and was very dry and brittle. That is why I cut my hair to the length it is now. I wish I would have trimmed instead of chopped but now I have to take my good old time to get back to that length.

Jennoz
February 4th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I would say about 2 years also, and it looked quite terrible at the ends, split and krinkled and rought and just ick, so I would not recommend it. Though, on the other hand, it was mostly out of laziness that I went that long, and this was before I was really growing it intentionally, so I was engaging in horrid habits like ripping a ball end brush through it while wet. Maybe if I cared for it properly while going that long it would not have been a problem.

Copasetic
February 4th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I just trimmed tonight after about a year without a substantial trim. I normally don't go that long, but I am getting so close to my goal length that I couldn't do it.

Apriori
February 4th, 2012, 10:09 PM
About 2,5 years I think, back when I was 14-16 years old. Since then I have probably gotten trims every 6-12 months :)

RocketDog
February 4th, 2012, 10:37 PM
The last few years I've only had a 'real' haircut at the salon once a year, and just trim the ends at home in between when I feel they need tidying. When I was a teen I got a haircut at the start of the school year every year, and that was pretty much it. My hair doesn't really get splits, just 'krinkly' ends, which probably helps. If I had splits I'd probably be much more punctual with trims.

sfgirl
February 5th, 2012, 01:29 AM
I usually go a year or two, even if the damage is horrible. Hair dressers stress me out.

Aveyronnaise
February 5th, 2012, 02:06 AM
After I had my son and I decided to grow from a pixie , I just let it grow for like 18 months or longer actually . I don't really know. I did have some damage and splits because I was using a hair dryer and my hair just doesn't support heat.
Now I go about 6 months or a little longer , though this time I have been doing serious LHC care and my hair looks pretty much split free.

CastaDiva
February 5th, 2012, 02:24 AM
13 years, starting from chin length:)

Tuna
February 5th, 2012, 03:27 AM
2 years (last trim was in october 2011... let's see how long will i go without it now) ... but been searcing and destroying every month.

Chibbylick
February 5th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Not long enough :(
after around 18 months I went to the hairdresser for a trim last week, and walked in with hip + length, and out with waist length. I asked for a small trim, I can't believe i was so stupid as to allow this to happen to me :( I've lost a whole years growth, and I'm really sad about it. None of my up-dos are working quite how they should, and it just plain stinks. Never again :(

Vanilla
February 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM
6 months was the longest I ever went. I'm at month 4 right now of no trims, and I'm starting to see a few splits. I am going to try no trims in 2012, I'll just need to start S&D again.

ranaenelcomal
February 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Six months, and I got a couple of inches cut off once I did because of the damage. After three months, the split ends start taking over my hair.