PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to blow dry-what to do?

zzzimska
February 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
So, I didn't blow dry my hair for entire year, except my hairdresser did. I noticed my hair looks so much better when my hairdresser blow dries and brushes it, it is all shiny and silky. But I'm afraid that if I did it every time I wash my hair (2-3 times a week), it would cause more dry ends and I certainly don't want that.

What do you suggest, is there any method I could use, so that my hair would be silky without blow drying? I have tried wrapping, brushing, etc...

Lipbalmbabe
February 4th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I agree the salon look is great but so damaging. What I do is sit by a fan and brush my hair. The cold air sets the style and adds shine. Hope I Could help! ;)

jacqueline101
February 4th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I sit by a heater. I use a heat protector. Before then I dry it as much as I can.

LissaJane
February 4th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Also, some oil might help for the shiny smoothe look :)
careful not to use too much, though

Madora
February 4th, 2012, 10:38 AM
For what it's worth, here's my technique for gentle air drying:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=223

pepperminttea
February 4th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Could you blowdry on a cool setting? :) If it makes such a difference in how you feel in yourself and how much you like your hair, then perhaps it's worth it.

MamaCimino
February 4th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Could you blowdry on a cool setting? :) If it makes such a difference in how you feel in yourself and how much you like your hair, then perhaps it's worth it.
I think blow drying it on a cool setting is a good idea. I have done that before. I usually let it get pretty dry and then just finish it off with the dryer, especially if I have to leave the house and it's cold out. With my hair it gives the same result as if I had used it to dry my hair right out of the towel.

shikara
February 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I second lipbalmbabe!! I don't brush when I sit in front of my fan, set on low, just sit there and watch tv or whatever. And you're right - it can make it so much silkier and easy to comb!!!

stkl
February 4th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Well if you have a lot of time you could try rollers.
I leave my hair to dry naturally until it is about 80% dry then i take extra large velcro rollers, remove the velcro and pin them in my hair using bobby pins. Then you just leave your hair to dry the rest of the way - probably takes about two hours, but basically the longer you leave them in the better the result.
the larger the rollers the straighter the hair. i kind of like very big loose curls so i go for a 21/2 inch size. :)

cobden 28
February 4th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I haven't blow-dried my hair for years. I towel-dry my hair as much as I can, then brush it straight back off my forehead into a ponytail at the nape of my neck with an Alice band to keep the loose hairs off my face.

Then I always let my hair dry narurally. I washed my hair this morning, tied it back as described above, and as I write there's just the faintest touch of dampness where my hair has been allowed to dry naturally.

My hair is waist-length, BTW.

heidi w.
February 4th, 2012, 02:58 PM
You can consider these two ideas:

1. Blow dry but on a LOT lower setting, and only half dry the hair, not fully dry the hair. Also watch how close you hold the blow dryer to your hair. More distance equals less damage. You can also buy an attachment known as a "diffuser" for blow drying your hair.

2. I learned this idea when I met Lady Grace who taught me how to air dry with just standalone fans. That's how she dried her hair, which at the time was beyond 8 feet of length.

The longer your hair is, the more distance you need from the fan so that hair will not get caught and wrapped up in the fan blades. It's a safety concern. Then you slowly, kind of in layers and sections begin to detangle the hair while facing a fan. (She also had ceiling fans running....) Lots of people somehow dry their hair with a stand-alone fan. But be really careful how close you stand because it could be a real problem. I have one fan that is remote controlled power on/off, and speed settings.

A third idea is that in summer, when it's fairly warm out, you can air dry the hair a bit faster in summer, than winter. In winter, it takes nearly all day for my hair to dry, particularly the back of the neck area. In summertime, it takes slightly less than half a day.

heidi w.

Vanille_
February 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I sit in front of a fan, facing away. My hair doesn't tangle easily though. I just comb every few minutes to separate the hair so it's not sticking together.

I read a book.