PDA

View Full Version : Face framing layers?

Kira94
February 4th, 2012, 02:07 AM
So, I'm thinking about getting face framing layers, or something to that effect, and I thought I'd get you guys' input on it. :)

I really like the ones on Keira Knightley from the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. However, I realize she's wearing a wig, and so I was wondering if any of you have similar bangs/layers, and if it's realistic to expect an effect similar to hers?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9451&pictureid=125685

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9451&pictureid=125684

(I'll link the other pictures so it's not a billion images to scroll through)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9451&pictureid=125686

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9451&pictureid=125687

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9451&pictureid=125683

I've had bangs before, and I really liked them, however, I have a stubborn cowlick that would show itself the day after washing and made blunt bangs very difficult. So I was hoping whispy bangs might work a little better.
Also, I hate how I look with all my hair pulled back. It looks so severe and I feel like it accentuates my chubby cheeks. Which also makes me lean towards having something to frame my face.

Here are pictures of me with blunt bangs:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9451&pictureid=125682

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9451&pictureid=125681

So, thoughts? Advice? Opinions? :)

(I apologize if this is on the wrong board, feel free to move it if it is)

sfgirl
February 4th, 2012, 02:44 AM
It depends. Bangs are more of a "style". The layers looked more natural. It depends on what look you want to go with. :)

fridgee
February 4th, 2012, 02:53 AM
I think they would look really pretty with your face shape and go well with your wavey hair. I say go for it! It's nice to have some hair around the face to soften updos and the wispy wavey bangs are very feminine and flattering.

Kapri
February 4th, 2012, 06:34 AM
You also look great with blunt bangs! Really nice style on you. They look lush and thick and your hair looks in great condition.

I had wispy bangs cut last time they annoyed me and seemed to accentuate the fineness of my hair. You have thicker hair so it may not be a problem for you. Ditto with face framing layers..the overall impression of thickness, health and bounce needs to be preserved.

Just an opinion!

einna
February 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I like the look of blunt bangs on you. Wispy ones might be good to, you can always make them blunter/thicker if it dosent suit you.
One tip though, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you. I just cut my own bangs, and it did not end well, lol. I was fairly confident after watching several tutorials on youtube, and having trimmed my bangs several times. Cutting them is Not the same. Haha. At least they grow fast..

turtlelover
February 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I think I'd like the wispy bangs and face framing layers on your face shape. They ARE easier to tame than full bangs. A straightening iron takes care of any rebellion in a few seconds!

UltraBella
February 4th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I think it would be a beautiful look on you, anything would though, really. You are just lovely !!!

MonaLisa
February 4th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I love face framing layers! so playful and sexy! :)

jacqueline101
February 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I love face framing layers and bangs.

Long_hair_bear
February 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I have them and wouldn't do them again. They make braiding difficult and they are taking abit to grow out. You do what you like though.... Just my experience.

rock007junkie
February 4th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I used to have them and I loved them. It could be a very beautiful style. Because of the ridiculous amount of layers I had though whenever I braid my hair now I have all these whispies coming out on all ends. Before this wasn't an issue because my hair was down 95% of the time. Now with buns and braids I'm trying to get more of a blunt hemline.

sarah061
February 4th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I think you'd look great with face-framing layers!! I'd personally think twice about the bangs though, if you end up not liking them they take forever go fix/grow out.

BUT! If you do get bangs, you should totally treat yourself and get them done at a *nice* salon. In my experiences people that are licensed as a "Master" stylist do amazing work with things like that as it takes a lot of work to obtain that qualification. They charge more because of it though!

Kristin
February 4th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I have and love both face-framing layers and bangs, so I would say go for it, but...

Bangs are a big commitment. They will take forever to grow-out. If you aren't used to cutting them yourself, definitely get them done at a salon.

Kira94
February 4th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks so much everyone! :D
I may go for the layers first, see how it goes, and then try wispy bangs.
Also, my Grandpa is a barber/hair stylist so I might get him to do it for free, or go to a family friend who's a hair dresser. :)

Now the question is when to do it! And who to go to. . . my Grandpa cut my bangs last time, but the hair dresser is the one who cut my bob and everything. I wonder who would know what to do better.

sfgirl
February 5th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Don't go to a hair stylist! Whenever I tried to get those kinds of layers they never understand "just around the face", and I'm stuck with actual layers. :(

DarkSunny
February 5th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I also have a roundish face shape, and just had some face framing layers cut a couple of weeks ago. They really do soften up updo's really well and give a more defined curl to the cut strands now that they aren't weighed down as much anymore.

Only downside is that most braids I attempt now either turn out uneven or have the shorter strands stick out all through the braid.

shikara
February 5th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I hope you will be very happy with the change you are going to make! I have wispy bangs (hehe only because my hair is fine and thinnish:lol:) and my few tendrils are a happy accident from a little breakage due to tangles behind my ears!! Bangs and/or a little loose hair on the sides, IMHO, are so lovely and fun, and can be changed up so easily!! Good luck! Show us the results!!

spidermom
February 5th, 2012, 10:21 AM
A tip: if you go to a stylist, separate out the amount of hair that you are willing to sacrifice for face-framing layers, then securely braid or bun the rest back.

I think the first pictures you posted will look really nice. I'm not so fond of the blunt bangs, though.

Carolyn
February 5th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Less is more when it comes to the amount of hair cut into bangs. Keep them long, wispy, and very light. I agree with Spidermom. I'm not fond of the blunt bangs look.

pinchbeck
February 8th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Face framing layers are pretty. I am thinking of getting face framing layers too and maybe some longer ones at the back. For some reason now that my hair is longer it looks weighed down and is no longer flattering on my face shape.

A tip: if you go to a stylist, separate out the amount of hair that you are willing to sacrifice for face-framing layers, then securely braid or bun the rest back. This is something I figured out after a hairdresser scalped my hair a couple of years ago (he wasn't a fan of longer hair lengths). Good advice!