PDA

View Full Version : How Much Hair Loss is Normal?

pixietail
February 3rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
I was wondering how much hair you lose on a daily basis? Before I started taking care of my hair, every time I brushed it I'd see a bunch of broken off bits, as well as some full-length hairs.

Now that I've found LBC, I'm more careful with my hair. I detangle gently with my fingers now, and use a wide-toothed comb afterwards. I don't see as many broken bits any more. But no matter how gentle I am, I still lose 4-5 full-length hairs every time.

This is all new to me, so I'm not sure what's normal and what I should be worried about. It doesn't help that my hair is still all sorts of damaged and still recovering. Thanks for reading this!

arcane
February 3rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
I've always been a big shedder, probably closer to 200 or so hairs a day + breakage (my Mom is the same way). I've read that 100-200 shed hairs per day is typical, though that is just the average. I'd only be concerned if you notice a signifigant change in the amount of shedding, though people seem to cycle throughout the seasons with shed rates, so it may take some time to figure out what is normal for you.

pixietail
February 3rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks so much Arcane. I'm glad I'm not going bald then! :) Like I said, I'm not sure what's normal yet. I guess I'm a bit paranoid because my hair is starting to thin somewhat on top, just like most of the women on my mother's side.

Lightningfury
February 3rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
I loose a lot of hair after I wash because once it's dry and I start to brush all the hair that would have fallen out through out the week comes out at once. It's pretty scary when you're big BBB brush leaves enough hair for a barbie doll.

amantha
February 3rd, 2012, 11:08 PM
I probably lose about 50 hairs when I wash my hair (every 2-3 days) and another 30 or so just from brushing it. It used to be about 200 just from showering alone when my iron was much lower than it is now. It's still low but it's better than it was....so I hope when it gets up to normal levels I'll shed even less.

auburntressed
February 4th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I shed constantly, and I have for as long as I can remember. Every time I shower, brush, comb, ect... massive amounts of hair come out.

Now, the amounts of hair might SEEM like they are more than they are, since each individual hair is longer and therefore wads up more space. I don't know. I have never counted the number of shed hairs I have, and I have no desire to.

What I do know is that, after a lifetime of what seems to me to be constant shedding, I don't think my hair is any thinner than it was when I was a teenager. If it is, the difference is so slight that I can't perceive it either by the feeling of my hair or by photos.

Therefore, I assume this is not a problem... however irritating it may be to have to constantly clean hair out of drains and brushes.

white.chocolate
February 4th, 2012, 06:30 AM
4-5 full-length hair? I'd love to be in your place! I shed 40-50 hair per day. I've been bed-ridden, ill from the flu, this past week and I haven't been able to detangle and wash my hair. This morning I finally removed it from the braid and washed it. After detangling, I collected hair about the size of a golf ball. That was very creepy.

poodlemom
February 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM
my reply is very similar to Auburntressed, though i have noticed that since I stopped washing every day the amount I lose in the shower is now very small. I so shed constantly, however. I knit and crochet, and I promise you there is not one thing I've ever made that didn't have some of my hair in it!!

pixietail
February 4th, 2012, 10:29 AM
To clarify, White Chocolate, I'm not losing 4-5 hairs a day - I wish I did! I'm losing 4-5 every time I comb, no matter how carefully I do it. I lose much more than that every time I wash my hair - maybe like 20-50? (I'm just guessing here, based on the size of the hairball). Plus I also tend to lose hair all over the place just when I'm walking around, etc.

Until I started caring for my hair, I never paid attention. Now I'm paranoid LOL. But hearing that other people shed too, and still have full heads of hair, makes me feel much better.

I do have another quick question - all around my hair line I have a number of random shorter ( 4-5 inch) long hairs that like to stand up all willy-nilly. Are these new growth, or damaged hair that's broken off short? And if the latter, is there something I should be doing about it?

Hiriel
February 4th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I shed loads, but I don't really get noticeable breakage. But 38" long shed hairs can be found absolutely everywhere I go, even though my hair is always up :rolleyes:

white.chocolate
February 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM
To clarify, White Chocolate, I'm not losing 4-5 hairs a day - I wish I did! I'm losing 4-5 every time I comb, no matter how carefully I do it. I lose much more than that every time I wash my hair - maybe like 20-50? (I'm just guessing here, based on the size of the hairball). Plus I also tend to lose hair all over the place just when I'm walking around, etc.

Until I started caring for my hair, I never paid attention. Now I'm paranoid LOL. But hearing that other people shed too, and still have full heads of hair, makes me feel much better.

I do have another quick question - all around my hair line I have a number of random shorter ( 4-5 inch) long hairs that like to stand up all willy-nilly. Are these new growth, or damaged hair that's broken off short? And if the latter, is there something I should be doing about it?

Don't forget that although a hairball may seem to have a lot of hair, it could actually be only a few depending on your hair's length.

To answer your question, it is new growth if the ends are thin. If not, they must be broken bits. There are many ways to prevent hair from breaking off as I'm sure you've come across a lot here. Your diet, the way you wear your hair all day, the kinds of hair toys, products and combs/brushes all contribute.