PDA

View Full Version : Hair styles for long face

jhill923
February 3rd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Hi all, I have searched the internet for tips on this but have not found much.
What types of hair styles look good on people with long or thin faces ? Im a thin gal and I hate wearing my hair up because it just makes me look skeletal. I cant help it i just have twig genetics. But what would be the best way to give me a fuller look or even my facial structure out ? (sorry I dont have pics loL)

turtlelover
February 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Face framing layers tend to soften the look by adding fullness around the face. They don't have to be in most of your length....just the very front.

shikara
February 3rd, 2012, 10:42 PM
Hello! What worked very well for me was getting two Goody hair combs - you can sweep some of the front back and it can 'push' your hair out a little to add volume to the place on the sides that would be most flattering to you! I'm just starting to use them again in upsweeps, but I also now have some bangs, which I will never ever give up for the same reasons you are citing. I also like how they soften things up.

torrilin
February 4th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Well, it doesn't have to be pictures of *you*... You can show us pictures of hair you like too :).

As far as skeletal looking, a lot of the time we are our own worst critics. You aren't going to substantially alter the look of your face via a hairstyle. It really won't hide your eyebrows not matching or a long forehead. Really. What a hairstyle can do is emphasize the positive. If you have high cheekbones and like them, putting some extra volume near them will point them out... maybe some lace braids or little twists of hair? Or if you have a widow's peak that you like, some hairstyles will make it more obvious, and make your face have a more heart shaped impression rather than just long.

I also tend to think Mod and some of the more architectural grunge hairstyles tend to suit angular faces. So if you feel like the angles are the most noticeable thing in your face, play them up.

Really, all most people will notice when they see you is whether you look happy. The details don't stick out. And for a lot of people, even the color you're wearing is a detail... even if it's head to toe bright red. Speaking from experience on that one :). So it's much better to do the stuff that makes you happy.

Gingerbear
February 4th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Face framing layers in the front or a side swept bang that sits mid-cheek to chin level.

xoxophelia
February 4th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Maybe look at pictures of people with long faces and decide when you think their hair is flattering? Examples: Celine Dion, Sarah Jessica Parker, and to some extent Liv Tyler.

jacqueline101
February 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I'd try bangs and face framing layers.

Madora
February 4th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I like Shikara's idea of using combs.

Face framing layers would seem (to me) to draw more attention to the shape of the face and accentuate the length of it.

ravenheather
February 10th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I have a long thin face too and am deciding if I want to keep bangs or not as my hair grows out. Not sure yet.

Mai Gloeckchen
February 11th, 2012, 01:16 AM
When you usually wear your parting in the middle, try to move it to the side. Without cutting, you can create a "fringe" from one side to the outher, covering your front diagonaly. When you make a low Ponytail, try to drape your fronthair over your ears (depends a bit on the ears...).

Stagecoach
February 11th, 2012, 05:45 AM
I have a longish face and I do NOT think face framing layers are flattering. I like certain styles which 'shape' the perspective of my face. For example, with wet hair, I can make a flattering cinnamon bun, but not with dry. When my hair is dry I go with tucked log rolls held with Flexi-8's or braided nautilus buns held with Flexi-8's.

Nev
February 11th, 2012, 11:52 AM
my face is longish too, so I always have side swept bangs and face framing layers, and I love it. it really works with my face and softens it. I would definately recommend getting them!

DarkSky
February 11th, 2012, 11:57 AM
my face is longish too, so I always have side swept bangs and face framing layers, and I love it. it really works with my face and softens it. I would definately recommend getting them!

I totally agree!! I have the same thing.... side swept bang and layers around the face