PDA

View Full Version : Redheads my most favorite

Marijus
February 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Hello
So it's my first thread, and since i adore those long red flaming hair (mine is dark brown), i'll start writing about them. i didn't find any such thread so i think i got green light

we've all heard stories of redheads being hot tempered, lustfull, mischievous,...ooh and in ancient Greece people believed that when woman with red hair dies she turns to a vampire :) how cool is that?!

but scientific study shows that their hair doesn’t go gray, they have unique mutated gene MC1R that have surprising effects;

The researchers ran an experiment where they put women under sedation, and then tested their response to pain. The redheaded patients required 20 to 30 percent more anesthetic than other women to achieve the same level of sedation. Scientists at the university also tried to replicate the experiment with mice, and found that animals with a MC1R mutation required more sedation, too. They theorize that the mutated gene somehow has implications beyond hair color, and perhaps affects hormones or enzymes involved in our neurological system.

SO LET YOUR HAIR BURN RED!!

jojo
February 3rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hi welcome to LHC,
Ive heard the theory of redheads having lower pain thresholds before, Im not a true red head but do have natural coppers in my hair and was a true strawberry blonde as a child, I certainly do have silvers though, luckily I like them. also my Uncle was a proper red head and was totally white by his mid 40's so I dont think the theory that redheads dont go grey stand correct in my experience!

Amber_Maiden
February 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
I agree with the pain threshold... I hate waxing my legs. YOW!

Marijus
February 3rd, 2012, 07:02 PM
i had my doubts too about the gray hair after reading the article, i guess the university studies failed on that, or perhaps it aplies to a certain shade or percentage of people

Marijus
February 3rd, 2012, 07:06 PM
regrettably in my life i only saw very few redheads, i wish there were more, MUCH more :)

Orangerthanred
February 3rd, 2012, 07:11 PM
I'm a redhead... and I have a high tolerance for pain. :\ Or atleast I think I do.

I don't see how hair colour has anything to do with pain.

Cara Heather
February 3rd, 2012, 07:29 PM
I am a redhead... not as dark as some more of a strawberry blonde. But I am getting grey. Is it blonde or my red??? Idk.
Higher tolerance to pain??? Idk either being that I never experienced pain as someone else. I used to have piercings and handled those well. I had a c section and stop taking pain meds the day I went home. I fractured my wrist and handled that well. I sprained my ankle severely and I didn't handle that well. Heartaches always hurt bad.

Anywhere
February 3rd, 2012, 07:29 PM
My friends mom is a natural redhead and she is going gray. I don't see how having a certain hair color would prevent someone from going gray?

pepperminttea
February 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
There's a news article here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8195177.stm) for the pain-related stuff, but not sure where the 'not going grey' bit came from? I've yet to see a naturally red-haired elderly person, but granted it would be awesome. :D

Kelikea
February 3rd, 2012, 07:52 PM
My grandma had red hair described as "red as a wild boar" and she definitely went totally gray. My aunt also had/has red hair. She is now in her 60's and it is fading to a more strawberry blonde, but not very gray. It seems the hairs are turning blonde first and then may turn gray later. Neither was very hot tempered,either, they have very easy going personalities. My cousin has auburn hair, she is about 38ish, no grays that I can see. All of her kids are red, my husband says, "you could start a fire with those kids." I guess time will tell...

Shell
February 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
My mother in law had very bright red hair, and now that she's 85 she's faded to strawberry blonde, but no grey or white at all.

Many blondes and redheads don't get grey. I'm almost 48 and I don't have but about 3 white hairs. They might actually be very blonde instead of white. My hair is strawberry blonde sometimes, and blonde with red highlights at other times. It's gotten lighter and redder with time.

I have a very high pain tolerance, and a skin condition that only people with redheads can get (don't ask--I can't remember what it's called), so some things are linked to the redhead gene--even if your hair isn't very red. It's the same as certain things being linked to maleness, like male pattern baldness. :shrug:

julya
February 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
My mom is blonde, and at 65 she hardly has any gray hairs so far. I think she got it from her dad though, who had brown hair. Even in his late 80s his hair was mostly still dark.

TheMechaGinger
February 3rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
I've heard that red-heads can create their own vitamin D too, I thought that was pretty neat. Even more of a reason to avoid the sun haha. My mom has red hair and hers turned a strawberry blonde color, it didn't really go gray for her just got lighter. But she is only 54 so it might turn gray later who knows. I really hope I have a little red headed baby too

Eirelin
February 3rd, 2012, 09:27 PM
I'm a natural strawberry-blonde with a whole bunch of redheads in my family. My grandmother went straight from lots of red to grey, but she also smoked like a chimney, so the grey was tinged with nicotine and may have been white without it.

My 3 redheaded aunts are 1. getting to be strawberry blonde with blonde/gold/white highlights (her hair is the most like mine), 2. getting to be a darker auburn, almost brunette with red highlights, and 3. blondish, but I am pretty certain it is really strawberry-blonde that is dyed blonde.

My father has always had blonde hair and red sideburns and beard, but they have turned white.

My great-aunt has always been a carroty redhead, and it has been orangey-red except where it started turning white.

There are more in my femily, but I will end it with my husband's grandmother who was a gorgeous "Maureen-O'Hara" redhead her entire life, into her 80's, without ever dyeing it.

As for me, I have started using henna on the roots to take care of the white bits. It is the same as my natural color, so I feel it is only partially cheating. When the entire head starts going white, then I will go with it. Uuntil then, so long as it is only patchy, then I will stick with the henna.

As for redheads being more susceptible to pain, I have had some pretty bad health problems for almost a couple of decades, things that make it difficult for most people to move around, and while it was like that for me originally, I have learned over the years to just deal with it, so I am no judge any more.

darklion
February 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
my dad (a redhead) went grey. first his beard and then his head.
for me, it feels more like my hair is saturating. It's not as bright red as it used to be but no greys. My aunt in her fifties has no grey hairs.
My friend's mom was red until her mid fifties and then it suddenly went half and half. It really looks quite spectacular.
As for pain... I can tolerate pain but I definitely feel it sooner than others.

julliams
February 3rd, 2012, 09:43 PM
I'm a strawberry and I've got loads of greys (whites) going on.

Cara Heather
February 3rd, 2012, 09:59 PM
I have vitamin D deficiency 50,000 iu prescribed weekly

berr
February 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM
I'm a natural redhead. I can vouch for my hair having whites. I have streaks of white in my bangs and some white hairs at my temples. My mother was a brunette and was totally grey by the time she was my age now. So I can't complain. She started turning grey in her late 20's.

I can also vouch that I have a high tolerance for pain. However, when it comes to deadening something for a procedure that needs deadening, I always need more drugs. Episiotomies were when I first found out. The doctor said I shouldn't be feeling a thing.. right.. every poke of the needle raised my arse up off the table. Every pregnancy. I also need more juice for dental procedures and surgeries where I'm awake. I don't think it's a low tolerance to pain, I think it's a HIGH tolerance to pain medication. Whether my being a redhead has anything to do with it, I have no idea. I just know pain meds don't work well for me.

tokidokichi
February 3rd, 2012, 10:37 PM
I got my red hair from my dad, his hair is completely white now. BUT my grandmother on my Mom's side is in her 80s and doesn't have a single grey or white hair on her head! It's just more of a dull sandy color now, it was very red when she was younger. So, I guess it could go both ways. YAY RED

Keller1128
February 3rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
I am a natural redhead and I'm pretty sure we don't go gray - our hair turns white instead of gray. I heard from a dentist once that we do require more anesthetic than other people. I also think the stereotype about lust and mischief is correct ;)

Finoriel
February 4th, 2012, 12:31 AM
This thread is closed now.
To not put more "cream" on that cake. Ahem.
Thanks everybody for alerting us :flowers: