PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Shaft Splits?

Dreamers91
February 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Hey guys,
After doing a search and destroy, I noticed alot of little white dots near the ends of my hair, but not at the ends. I had about 1/4 an inch before it reached the end of my hair. This worried me because it gives me horrible breakage.
What are they from?
How can I prevent getting them?
Can I get rid of them without cutting my hair?

also, My hair is about 1 inch from BSL, YAY! :cheese: If I can stop this breakage, I can be there by spring! :)

Amber_Maiden
February 3rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
No, you can't get rid of them without cutting your hair.

I have also found splits midway up the hair shaft- you just have to cut them. They can cause damage to other hair if you don't.

It could be from doing your hair in the same way everyday, hairbands, elastics, etc.

white.chocolate
February 3rd, 2012, 03:08 PM
What kind of hair styles do you do everyday? What kind of hair toys do you use? And for how long do you keep your hair in a certain style?

These will help you figure out how it's happening. They're caused by physical damage.

You could always choose to ignore the dots and not cut your hair. But they'll eventually break off with time and become split ends.

Dreamers91
February 3rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
What kind of hair styles do you do everyday? What kind of hair toys do you use? And for how long do you keep your hair in a certain style?

These will help you figure out how it's happening. They're caused by physical damage.

You could always choose to ignore the dots and not cut your hair. But they'll eventually break off with time and become split ends.

I mostly wear my hair down, and use CWC methods. I also use coconut oil on my ends after washing. I will say that I use those horrible brushes with the balls on their ends, and sometimes rip through my hair when I'm in a hurry.

Madora
February 3rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
Please, please, if you want healthy, beautiful long hair, get rid of that brush with the balls at the end. They ruin your hair.

Also, try wearing your hair up more often and detangling gently with a wide tooth comb. Never, ever just "drag" your comb through your hair. Finger comb the hair first, then take small sections of your hair and gently work out the tangles, working from the ends of the strands, bit by bit, up to the roots.

Brushes are not bad. It is how you USE them that makes the difference. Ditto for combs. Good luck!

Dreamers91
February 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Please, please, if you want healthy, beautiful long hair, get rid of that brush with the balls at the end. They ruin your hair.

Also, try wearing your hair up more often and detangling gently with a wide tooth comb. Never, ever just "drag" your comb through your hair. Finger comb the hair first, then take small sections of your hair and gently work out the tangles, working from the ends of the strands, bit by bit, up to the roots.

Brushes are not bad. It is how you USE them that makes the difference. Ditto for combs. Good luck!

Which would you recommend? Wide-tooth comb, or a BBB?

Madora
February 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Which would you recommend? Wide-tooth comb, or a BBB?

Both! A wide tooth comb is essential because you use it first, before touching your hair with any kind of brush. If you're in the market for a wide tooth comb, be sure that it doesn't have any rough seams.

I personally prefer a pure boar bristle brush (no plastic reinforced bristles). A pure bbb is the gentlest for your hair type because the boar bristles "understand" the structure of your hair and interact gently with it (depending on how you use it).

There are different types of bbbs out there..in varying price ranges. If interested, please drop me a visitor message and I'll be happy to explain the differences and what to look for in a bbb.

A pure bbb is a wonderful tool for exercising your hair follicles, distributing your hair's natural sebum, removing lint/dust, and over time, imparting a wonderful softness and shine to your tresses. I've been using them since 1960 and wouldn't be w/o one.

jojo
February 3rd, 2012, 06:37 PM
Totally agree with Madora's advice!

Dorothy
February 3rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
I agree also, and strongly recommend a seamless comb. A "bone comb" or "bakelite comb" both of which are made of bakelite, and are carved rather than molded, and so have no seams at all. I could only find one on the internet. Stopping with the ball brush and using only a seamless comb has reduced damage to my hair and allowed me to grow to waist from BSL during the time I've been at LHC....

Quahatundightu
February 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
If you have fine hair it might be worth thinking about not using a brush at all. It really depends on your hair, some people have a lot less white dots if they only comb or finger comb as opposed to brushing.