PDA

View Full Version : Most effective method using deep conditioning treatment/mask?

growfro
February 3rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
I bought a Joico deep conditioner recently and my hair is feeling a little dry. I wanted to coat my hair mid length to ends in the stuff, but don't know if it's best to do it to damp hair or dry hair? For a few hours, overnight?

GoldberryHair
February 3rd, 2012, 03:05 PM
I do mine on damp hair and wrap it in a plastic bag with a showe cap over and leave it on for at least an hour...the longer the better. Hope that helps

Amber_Maiden
February 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
I do mine on damp or dry hair, and I soak overnight, or for a few days!

growfro
February 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Nice! Haha okay thank you both! I will most likely wet it down a little then keep it on for a few hours then.

ibleedlipstick
February 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
I typically do mine on dry hair and sleep on it. If it doesn't look obviously greasy, I will just spritz it with a bit of water, comb it, and bun it for the day. I have worn conditioner for days at a time without people noticing!

shikara
February 4th, 2012, 12:38 PM
The first time I did it, I dipped my hair in a big tall glass to get it wet, put on the condish and put it under a shower cap for twenty minutes, shampooed then used a regular condish. Now I always use it prewash. It also helps protect your hair from the shampoo to come!

jojo
February 4th, 2012, 12:43 PM
The longest ive left it on is 2 days! but my normal time for DC is between 2 and 8 hours depending how much time I have! Ive never tried joico Dc but love their products!

Kristin
February 4th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I do it on damp hair from the ears down and sit with a heat cap for at least an hour. I've also put a plastic bag and wool cap over it and slept that way. In my experience, the longer you can leave it in at a warm temperature, the better.

blondie9912
February 4th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I love the Joico deep conditioner! When I use it, I shampoo my hair first, rinse thoroughly, then blot my hair with a towel. I then apply a pea sized dab of it to my hair in order to be able to comb it, then I wrap it up in a towel turban for about 5 minutes. When I take it down, a lot of the moisture has been removed, so my hair is just damp. I apply the mask to my hair, focusing on the midlength (I don't go anywhere near the roots), then I blowdry it on low heat (to help it penetrate). After this, I can either rinse with cool water until it's all out (make sure to rinse well!), or I can comb my hair into a bun and leave it in overnight, rinsing it out in the morning. Your hair will feel positively SILKY after this procedure :D

growfro
February 5th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I did it Friday night and wow! My hair felt like silk and smelled like banana laffy taffy even today! (Sunday). I did leave it in all night so that might be why ;) but I will definitely be using it as my go to DC. I washed my hair in the morning, then at night dampened my length besides roots with water. I used quite a bit of it and finger combed it all through my hair and bunned it til morning. When I rinsed it in the shower my hair was silk!

Gingerbear
February 5th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I think the deep conditioners work best on damp hair because you get extra moisture from the dampness. I like leaving the conditioner either overnight or for an hour under a heatcap, depending on how much time I have. Sometimes I will also put some conditioner in before I workout thinking that my body heat will increase penetration.

jacqueline101
February 5th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I have never done the joico deep conditioner treatment but I have heard promising results from people who place shower caps or trash bags over their head while conditioning. I'm thinking about trying that with my conditioning routine.