PDA

View Full Version : How often do you chicken out?

Siava
July 17th, 2008, 11:43 AM
This morning I told myself that it has been a very long time since I browfried and straightened (months!). I tried to convince myself that it would be OK to do it today for a change of pace. After I washed my hair I looked at the blowdryer and just couldn't bring myself to do it. :lol: Now it's up in a ponytail.

What is the latest thing you've chickened out of and are you glad you did?

Isilme
July 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM
highlights in my hennaed hair:)

heidihug
July 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Trimming the bangs that I am growing out into a longer fringe. They're fine, except they get in my eyes sometimes now, and that is irritating.

SweetPea88
July 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I do the exact same thing you described with the blow fryer! And boy am I glad! :)

bex487
July 17th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I was *this* close to getting highlights (I normally change my hair color a lot and it's been natural for months so I'm going crazy). Luckily, my bank account talked me out of it. ;)

ReadingRenee
July 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
cutting bangs. :)

lora410
July 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
hair dye here :lol: I have no issue with an occasional blow dry on cool setting :D

Sceleste
July 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Often in the morning I decide to leave my hair loose or put it on a ponytail.

"I always wear my hair up so today I'm so going to leave it loose!"

A couple of minutes later...

"Hmm... maybe I should braid it, I don't want to get tangles. And people are going to see the length when it's braided anyway."

And another minute or two goes by...

"I might just as well bun it since I've already braided it. At least it's not in the way."

This happens a lot, and I'm glad it does. It keeps my hair in good shape. :)

Ohio Sky
July 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Honestly, I don't talk myself out of much. I quit using curling irons, straightening irons, blowfryers, etc years ago, but only out of sheer laziness.

I talked myself away from chemical dye and sulphates and cones and wearing my hair down for months after I joined LHC, and then realized that it was all making my hair worse. So, I just abuse it now and it seems happy. :shrug:

BUT I did resist my first and still only urge to cut!! ;)

Blueglass
July 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Isilme, have you ever gotten highlights over henna?

kwaniesiam
July 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I chickened out of bleaching some pieces to dye them funky colors. Instead I opted for some much safer henna to get rid of the roots that were driving me crazy.

Isilme
July 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Isilme, have you ever gotten highlights over henna?
No, I haven't, but I have thought about it many times. Especially during the winter, when my hair is oily and there is no light in this dark corner of the world...But then I think of the damage the box dyes did to my hair. But I will probably take bleach to my ends in some years anyway:)

spidermom
July 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Those who know me are going to find this hard to believe, but I was actually going to get some color in my hair this evening. My life has been a chaotic mess lately, and I decided that livening up my boring old hair would straighten everything out.

But my hairdresser said "Nope; no way; not going to do it. Get to your original goal of classic-length, natural hair first, then we'll talk about a makeover."

So - do you think that getting a conditioning treatment and a trim will solve all my problems and make my life feel normal again?

Oh wait - this post wasn't about chickening out, was it? Let's see ............ the last time I chickened out............... can't think of anything.

ItalianFlower
July 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
For graduation I had the most beautiful purple cords. I was playing with them, and my friend looked at me with wide eyes, grabbed them, draped them over my head and said, "Oh my GOSH, purple would look AMAZING in your hair."

So I was going to do it. I've never done anything to my hair--never really blowfriend, never colored, never anything like that. I was kind of excited.

I went to my hair stylist, Robert, and told him what I wanted. He raised his eyebrow and said, "I'll have to bleach your hair in order to streak it that color."

I almost said yes, but thought about it, chickened out. :) So glad I did.

wintersun99
July 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Islandgrrl
July 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Chickening out. Who, me? No way. I'm no chicken. Not unless you count the fact that I cancelled the appointment I had to have my hair trimmed last week. Uh, because I was afraid of what would happen having someone who has never cut my hair give me a 1/4 inch trim. But that's just good sense, right? Not chickening out at all. :silly:

Siava
July 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
spidermom, I don't think coloring your hair will solve all of your problems, but a deep massage and a big cone of ice cream might. ;)

spidermom
July 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM
spidermom, I don't think coloring your hair will solve all of your problems, but a deep massage and a big cone of ice cream might. ;)

I like the way you think!

Scarlytte
July 17th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'm a chicken when it comes to henna. I see other people with pretty henna hair, and want to try it, but it scares me. What with the uber permanantness of it and all.

Fee
July 17th, 2008, 05:12 PM
A couple of days ago I was really considering cutting bangs again, I've been growing my bangs for 16months now, they were only about 3cm short, I missed that and wanted to cut again..but then I remembered that it's difficult to maintain them and how long it took me to grow out and I chickened out and didn't do it :D I still kinda wanna :( but no..no :)

Patrycja
July 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM
It's been quite awhile but I've been tempted to blowfry my growing out bangs.To sweep them to the side or something.

Magicknthenight
July 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Well a couple days ago me and the grams were gonna go get my bangs and hair trimmed. But i looked at my ends and thought...their not bad...i wouldnt wanna lose any length! My bangs are getting long but i like that as it tells me my hair is growing. I might try to grow them out...but i'll probably end up cutting them sometime. Also my sister offered to straighten my hair and i thought about it since it would only be one time. Then i saw her do hers real quick and saw the steam comming from her hair...and thought...the splits weren't worth it!!!! So i was kinda afraid and i defently changed my mind haha.
Also when my friend asks if she can do my hair. I've said yes before but i usially change my mind and make her stop since she usially doesn't really seem to know what shes trying to do and gives me more tangles then anything else. I thought about putting some nifty colors in my hair but after the red streaks i had in my hair a couple years ago i decided not to! It takes way too long to grow out and i love my natural color ^-^

Chromis
July 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I'm boring. I never did any blowfrying, straightening, etc in the first place and I have only ever dyed with indigo and henna...though I do need to do that again. I hate how short hair looks on me and have never, ever had any urge to cut and my trims are very small.

I would, however, *love* to get in the line up for ice cream cones! It's 8:30 pm and still 30C (85F) here!

ZaBasDa
July 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
It happens sometimes when I've told myself I will straighten my hair because my people have been bugging me to. Usually I decide not to because it's too humid and I hate spending 4 hours on something that is bad for my hair.

I was going to bleach all of my hair, but I didn't want the damage and parental outrage. So, I ended up bleaching one big chunk above my ear, one highlight in front of my face, and the tips of the front of my hair. I'm glad I did this instead because I don't have to deal with root growth and my funky colors clashing with my skin tone.

Tressie
July 17th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I used to toy with the idea of getting a trim, but would put it off. Is that chickening out? I'm glad at any rate because now that I have found the LHC I do search and destroy, and don't lose any length on my way to classic or terminal! Hurray!! :cheese:

Cheery
July 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I was planning on getting my hair done at a salon for a formal dance I was going to. I chickened out and ended up doing my own hair. It actually turned out a lot better than the stylist would have done probably.

rapunzhell13
July 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
My hair's still fairly short, but I'm soo close to passing that 'Maybe I should just keep it short and damage it as much as I want to' stage. Thankfully I have chickened out of cutting and colouring, but I would be lying if I said the temptation was not there. I honestly feel like I am going to make it this time, I can just *feel* it. It's a great feeling! Heat styling isn't so much a problem for me anymore as I was a good girl and got rid of my tools once I decided that I was serious about growing my hair looong.

I am a proud chicken! :D

DecafJane
July 18th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Sometimes I wander through the hair aisle at the supermarket and contemplate putting a rich chocolate brown semi-permanent (no ammonia etc) in, to have some "fun" with the colour - then I decide that it would be smelly, a waste of money, I would end up with roots and possibly have to maintain, and that I will get to do it enough in a couple of years anyway, when I start going gray. ;)

The last time I DIDN'T chicken out, when I should have, was when I chopped my hair very short again at the end of last year. I learned an important life lesson - that chickening out can be a very good thing, and when you are feeling nauseous under the hairdressers blades, it probably isn't a good sign. :p

chrissy-b
July 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I have some serious gray hairs coming in and I was trying to accept them, but I couldn't and decided to dye. But! I bought light mountain henna dark brown instead and it made my grays ash blonde and shine to the rest.

phew.

MissHair
July 18th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Trimming bangs, my new years resolution was to never cut bangs again and somedays its hard to resist.

jivete
July 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I chicken with the blow drier/straightener every time I think about it. It kind of stinks because right before I found no poo and then, this site, my bf bought me a chi flat iron. I think I used it once on my hair and then never again. That was back in february.

I do blow dry my bangs and sometimes iron them to get them straight. Now, though, I'm considering growing them out and just making the fake sideswept bangs. Unfortunatley, now I have to think about the damage I've done when before I knew I was just going to cut it off so it didn't matter. :(

ColoradoDreamer
July 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Cutting my hair short.

Periwinkle
July 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Cutting a fringe. I know it would look awful and I'd hate it, so I parted it as if I had one for a few days and the constant sight of myself in mirrors happily removed the urge :)

Oh, no, I lied...I was actually thinking about chopping to my shoulders a few days ago. My miracle cure? Tie back all my hair apart from my shorter layers, which are at shoulder, to remind myself why I hated that. Didn't take long to remember.

Siava
July 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Periwinkle, I've done that, too. I think...maybe I'll just cut some off to get rid of some old color, but pulling the length up like you while leaving the bang layers down = instant chicken.

Curlsgirl
July 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I have started to blow dry straight before and then before picking up the dryer decided not to. This used to happen more than now. I don't see anything wrong with blowdrying now and then but in the summer there's really no use since it's up all the time anyway. In the winter I do it once in a while and enjoy it being different for a week.