PDA

View Full Version : White dot weirdness

Caringformyhair
February 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
I'm fairly new to this forum and so far loving it - so many people sharing the same goal :D - so I'm picking up a tonne of tips, one of which was dusting.

I tried dusting for the first time in order to S&D a few split ends and get rid of the white dots which were littered all over the ends of my lengths. I was struggling to see them clearly so shone a torch on them - my goodness that lit them up!

Then, with a brand new pair of hair scissors began snipping the ends off which weirdly, did not get rid of the white dots, the strands of hair still looked like they had whites dot on the end. No matter how far up the hair I chopped, a new white dot appeared. My hair isn't very dry at the ends and I have few splits.

Anyone else experienced this and know what it is??

Madora
February 3rd, 2012, 09:31 AM
Perhaps those scissors, even though new, weren't sharp enough to give you a clean cut.

You might also want to try and examine your ends in direct sunlight, to see if the dots are still that noticeable. Sometimes different lighting situations can trick your eyes.

Perhaps a magnifying glass might help also.

Amber_Maiden
February 3rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
I agree with the direct sunlight- always better than just shining a light directly on it.

furnival
February 3rd, 2012, 09:53 AM
I think that it might just be the newly cut ends reflecting the light differently. Can you examine one under a magnifying glass or, even better, a microscope? That should tell you if the white dot is a frayed, destroyed end or not. It's unlikely that brand-new hair scissors are blunt enough to mangle the ends of your hair.

ravenreed
February 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
The ends of my hair sometimes get thicker and kind of weird. If I snip at in that section, there might be a white dot left. However, if I go a little further up, no white dot. I don't know why this happens.

mzBANGBANG
February 3rd, 2012, 10:02 AM
I third the sunlight approach :) If you just started, you might experience this for awhile. I began S&Ding last month and I'm finally starting to see improvement but I had to change other things about my routine as well. I'm lucky to have a good hairdresser who is a close friend of mine, she talked to me about closing the cuticle on my hair (with an ACV and cold water rinse... I ACV every 2 weeks and cold water rinse on a daily basis now, love it!). Still have quite a bit of white dot damage, but I know I took care of at least 50%. I have 3 inches of bleach that needs cut out, so that's a big contributor for me.

Caringformyhair
February 3rd, 2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all the helpful replies ladies - sounds like sunlight is the best approach rather than my torch! (I have a lot to learn still).

I third the sunlight approach :) If you just started, you might experience this for awhile. I began S&Ding last month and I'm finally starting to see improvement but I had to change other things about my routine as well. I'm lucky to have a good hairdresser who is a close friend of mine, she talked to me about closing the cuticle on my hair (with an ACV and cold water rinse... I ACV every 2 weeks and cold water rinse on a daily basis now, love it!). Still have quite a bit of white dot damage, but I know I took care of at least 50%. I have 3 inches of bleach that needs cut out, so that's a big contributor for me.I'll keep at it then, I am so impatient I expect to see results immediately :p I mean, I changed my routine 2 months ago, how come my hair isn't down to my waist already? ;)

I will definitely try ACV - thanks. Congrats on no flat irons for a month, it's an achievement and I appreciate how HARD it is to resist!

mzBANGBANG
February 3rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
I'll keep at it then, I am so impatient I expect to see results immediately :p I mean, I changed my routine 2 months ago, how come my hair isn't down to my waist already? ;)

I will definitely try ACV - thanks. Congrats on no flat irons for a month, it's an achievement and I appreciate how HARD it is to resist!

Also figured I'd add I JUST got over my impatience, lol! I was going crazy and obsessing over everything for awhile but now that I've kind of found what works for me (and started hanging out at the BSL to Waist thread) I calmed down a bit :D my goals seem more realistic. And now instead of S&Ding like crazy, I just put my hair up so I don't have to think about it. Out of sight out of mind, and allegedly protecting the ends... works for me!

Thanks!!! The flat iron was my go-to tool. My hair is completely confused without it, but I'm not going to let it push me around. ;)

Caringformyhair
February 3rd, 2012, 10:53 AM
Also figured I'd add I JUST got over my impatience, lol! I was going crazy and obsessing over everything for awhile but now that I've kind of found what works for me (and started hanging out at the BSL to Waist thread) I calmed down a bit :D my goals seem more realistic. And now instead of S&Ding like crazy, I just put my hair up so I don't have to think about it. Out of sight out of mind, and allegedly protecting the ends... works for me!

I am still at the obsessive stage. I think tying it up and forgetting about it is the key and I'm heading over to the BSL to Waist thread NOW! I'm sure I'll calm down soon... :cool:

jacqueline101
February 3rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
I'd say try doing your hair in the sunlight. I think oils monistat and clarifying are good too. I'd keep them in mind for your routine.

beachgirlla
February 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
I third the sunlight approach :) If you just started, you might experience this for awhile. I began S&Ding last month and I'm finally starting to see improvement but I had to change other things about my routine as well. I'm lucky to have a good hairdresser who is a close friend of mine, she talked to me about closing the cuticle on my hair (with an ACV and cold water rinse... I ACV every 2 weeks and cold water rinse on a daily basis now, love it!). Still have quite a bit of white dot damage, but I know I took care of at least 50%. I have 3 inches of bleach that needs cut out, so that's a big contributor for me.

How do you do S&Ding? LOL, I guess you will have a lot of eye fatigue by the time you finish or I'm sure I will since I have so many split ends
I'm wondering if S&Ding is very important and if I do not do it the split will move over to the rest of the hair shaft?

Madora
February 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
How do you do S&Ding? LOL, I guess you will have a lot of eye fatigue by the time you finish or I'm sure I will since I have so many split ends
I'm wondering if S&Ding is very important and if I do not do it the split will move over to the rest of the hair shaft?

If the hair is split, the splitting can and does continue to split..right up the strand. There are many kinds of splits. S and Ding - even a little bit each day - can put you ahead of the game. If you have a lot on your ends, then a slight trim might be a better way of getting rid of them all at once, instead of having to search them out.