PDA

View Full Version : I really don't like this cold weather

W2
February 3rd, 2012, 06:56 AM
I wash my hair twice a week - and normally just let it airdry. But it takes forever! Between 3-4 hours. Normally it's not a problem - but now when it's round 18-20°F/-8- -10°C it's so cold, than unless my hair is totally dry when I go out, it'll freeze! And THAT I don't like! So I admit, I have used my hairdryer a couple of times - on the coldest settings and switching back and to cold.

I think I will have to do this as long as it's this cold.

turtlelover
February 3rd, 2012, 06:59 AM
I totally understand. I can't handle waiting for my hair to dry in the winter either. In general, I don't handle the cold well. And, my hair looks better blow dried than air dried. I have wavy hair, and blowdrying it loosens the curl just enough to cut down on the poof. So, that only adds to the temptation!

Amber_Maiden
February 3rd, 2012, 07:05 AM
I always end up using so much more oil in the winter... Expensive hair!

Aveyronnaise
February 3rd, 2012, 07:21 AM
Yes you must be in Europe , It is so stinking freezing right now! I just washed my hair today and I braided it and I am blowing it dry for a few minutes every few hours .
I have to go out at 5 and I am scared!
It's - 6 C outside I am going to be a big hair popcicle !

fridgee
February 3rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
Argh I hate the cold weather too! (even without taking my hair into consideration!) I am pretty much permanently cold anyway, so sitting around with cold wet hair when its already freezing is horrible. Still trying to persevere with air drying but damp bunning to keep it off my back, but Brr! I'm getting colder just thinking about wash day tomorrow!

I must say your lucky with 8-10oC tho! Its been barely getting above freezing near me, which is nothing compared to continental eastern Europe where its been -38oC!!! I so do not envy the people living there!

Madora
February 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
To those of you in colder climes, you might want to invest in a portable bathroom heater to help dry those wet tresses.

I have a heater with variable heat settings and it is wonderful. I stand about 4 to 5 feet from it and dry my hair.

Here's how I do it:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=223

rock007junkie
February 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
I have started washing my hair at night and letting it dry over night to avoid freezing to death the next day with a wet head. I do find myself using a lot more product too. I sometimes find myself having to moisturize my hair both in the morning before I leave the house and at night before I braid it.

jacqueline101
February 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
I would wash at night and if not dry maybe hair dry it with a blow dryer use a heat protector. I use more oil in the winter time too. I'm glad I'm not alone.

MaryMarx
February 3rd, 2012, 08:51 AM
- 20C today. AND a freezing wind. Which makes it like - 30C. :(
I just won't wash my hair if I know I will be going out during the day. Can't wait for spring! :)

lapushka
February 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
I'm sorry but this is *insane*! What's so terrible with a blow dryer (when used correctly)? Nothing. Just MMHO.

Dutchesse
February 3rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
I just don't want to use my time drying my hair - it's so boring! I grew up without a hairdryer in the house and just can't see myself using one. But now that it's freezing outside and the house isn't as warm anymore as well, having my hair wet is getting VERY cold and inconvenient. I just don't wet my hair during the day now, and go to bed directly after showering. That way I can keep warm because I'm all wrapped up in my blankets anyway. When I go outside (I cycle to school), I put my braid under my coat, put on a warm fleece cap and wrap my scarfs around the piece in between. I'm so afraid my hair will freeze!shudder: Is that even possible with dry hair?

Trish in SC
February 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
W2 ~

This is totally off-topic, but I just have to share with you:

Your signature picture looks exactly like the back of my head, say, from 10-12 years ago! Every time I see it, I just do a double-take. I'll have to dig around and show you a similar picture if I can find one. It's so weird that it looks so much like me.

Of course, my hair is somewhat different today, with less volume, and a U-shaped hemline.

But anyway, just wanted to share this strange resemblance story with you.

Have a great day ~ Trish :)

MissHair
February 3rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
I feel you all. It's -20°C where I live now, in Europe and we're suffering a great ice-age at the moment. Poor suffering people who are dying out in the cold. It's been terrible. Keep your fingers and toes warm (and hair!).

patienceneeded
February 3rd, 2012, 01:12 PM
I started using a blow-drier in the mornings. I'm tired of being wet and cold. Of course, today it is oddly sunny, but still cold. And windy!

AndreaPetrea
February 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
I have lived in Lithuania, and it didn't take me long to buy a blow dryer. I figured it was better for my hair than the -20°C day temperature.

Off topic, as I see that you're from Denmark - I watched the news a couple of days ago, and it said "The Siberian temperatures continue". I was like :confused: I mean, yeah, it's cold, but I still don't get ice in my nose every time I breathe or feel that my nose is about to fall off :laugh:

W2
February 3rd, 2012, 05:34 PM
I have lived in Lithuania, and it didn't take me long to buy a blow dryer. I figured it was better for my hair than the -20°C day temperature.

Off topic, as I see that you're from Denmark - I watched the news a couple of days ago, and it said "The Siberian temperatures continue". I was like :confused: I mean, yeah, it's cold, but I still don't get ice in my nose every time I breathe or feel that my nose is about to fall off :laugh:

Years ago I visited a friend of mine in the north of Sweden in the winter. That was cold. If you were the least sniffly, your s**t froze in your nose :D