PDA

View Full Version : hair in (minor) crisis!

tinah
July 17th, 2008, 10:08 AM
okay, i never really intended to have long hair, but with two pregnancies in two years, and not wanting to have my hair cut by someone i didn't trust, it got long and i like it. here's the problem:

my hand is in a cast. i can't seem to wash my hair properly with one hand. for years, my routine has been Head and Shoulders shampoo w/ co on the crown only, sauve knock-off humectress starting from the ends and working up, rinse and air dry, then brush. it's worked really well: splits are rare, soft, shiny, managable, etc.
Now, however, it's getting crunchy. I tried a clarifying shampoo, then conditioner only, extra conditioner. didn't help. then i tried a cholesterol masque, which made it MUCH worse.:( I don't know what to do now.
oh yeah, i dropped the brush in favor of a comb; figured it couldn't hurt.
Oh mighty hair people, help!
ps- if i have set it up right, there is a pic on my profile

spidermom
July 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
This sounds like the perfect time to try WO (rinsing with water only) or maybe even NW (don't wash it, also know as SO or sebum only). Get a wide tooth and a less wide tooth comb to keep your hair groomed and move the natural oils down the shaft. Your natural sebum is an excellent conditioner and by the time your cast is off and you can return to your usual hair care routine, you might find that you like your new routine better. Some people do.

Or perhaps you can have a friend or family member come by once/twice a week to wash your hair for you. A salon would certainly do it, but I don't know what they'd charge for wash and condition only, so that may not be an option.

Best wishes in sorting this out and welcome to LHC.

Tapioca
July 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I broke my arm last summer, and let me tell you, taking care of my hair was no fun at all. I did the one-handed washing like you're doing, and I got my husband and 5-year-old daughter to help me detangle. The crunchies could be helped by a moisturizing treatment. The SMT (it's around here somewhere) works for lots of people, but my hair hates honey. It also hates proteins, and it does what you described after the cholesterol treatment. You could always try a deep oiling.

embee
July 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I also would recommend Water Only. The problem of rinsing is gone, the tangling is mostly gone if you comb it well before starting. You don't have to rub-a-dubdub your hair, just let the water run through it well.

Of course the bit with the towel will be a real challenge, but that will be the case no matter what unless you shave your head. I have found my hair dries much faster when I do WO.

Hope your hand heals up nicely. And soon. I cannot imagine having two small children and a busted hand. Gah! :(

Darkhorse1
July 17th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I learned how to wash my hair with one hand after a New YEar's Eve gone bad ;) (read, champagne bottle incident. Left me with a few stitches on my index finger :D)

What I ended up doing was washing my hair in the sink, and focusing on my scalp. I'd pour shampoo with the bad hand (it was my right hand and I'm right handed), then dilute it in my left palm. Then, I'd manage to work it into my scalp. The key is taking your time. It just takes a heck of a lot more time than with two hands. The beauty of a sink is that you can get harder water spray, so it rinses better. I noticed in your photo your hair is redder at the bottom--I'm wondering if the crunchy ends are from sun damage? With your hand in a cast, you probably can't tie it up, and this summer has been hot, hot hot. Perhaps invest in a good hat, and see if someone can help you tie your hair back in the sun?

tinah
July 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM
i can sort of get my hair up, by twisting the length with my good hand, holding it in place with the club, then picking up the clip with my good hand. it's not pretty, but it is off my neck at least.
WO might be doable. . . i'm going to read the old threads on it.
okay, another newbie question: do hot oil treatments work?

danacc
July 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Tinah,

My hair loves warm oil treatments. I can't picture doing them with one hand, though. I find the application messier, and the rinsing more difficult, than my regular washing routine. Also, to keep it all warm, I use a shower cap and body heat. I don't know how to get long hair up in a shower cap (or bag, or wrap) with one good hand.

Have you tried oiling the length or the ends? If possible, put a very small amount of oil in your good hand. I'm talking about 1-2 drops, just enough to get the skin on your palm to glisten, then grasp your length and rub the thin layer of oil from your palm into your hand. I use coconut--the kind marketed for cooking with. Others have had success with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (yes, the cooking kind again) or avocado or jojoba.