PDA

View Full Version : Workout styles?

Long_hair_bear
February 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
Sorry if there's already a thread for this, but I just joined a gym to work off my muffin top and was thinking about styles I could wear to the gym besides a ponytail and a braid. I like the elyptical machineso it would need to be secure enough to bounce around. :joy:

leslissocool
February 2nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
I do HIIT workouts, and for those I wear a single low braid. Two braids hit me in the face while I do the exercises, and buns with clips and pins hurts my scalp with the high intensity jumping and whatnot. Also my hair comes undone when I sweat if it's not braided.

Now I recently started to lift weights with Body Pump, and when I put the bar on my shoulders my braid gets caught! So I put it up for weightlifting in a braided bun. It doesn't bother me at all like that since I am not jumping, and it doesn't get caught in the bar.

Now for yoga, I go for two dutch braids so I can lay on the floor and be comfortable.

Long_hair_bear
February 2nd, 2012, 06:34 PM
I do HIIT workouts, and for those I wear a single low braid. Two braids hit me in the face while I do the exercises, and buns with clips and pins hurts my scalp with the high intensity jumping and whatnot. Also my hair comes undone when I sweat if it's not braided.

Now I recently started to lift weights with Body Pump, and when I put the bar on my shoulders my braid gets caught! So I put it up for weightlifting in a braided bun. It doesn't bother me at all like that since I am not jumping, and it doesn't get caught in the bar.

Now for yoga, I go for two dutch braids so I can lay on the floor and be comfortable.

Ya I was thinking about doing 2 Dutch braids. :)

Madora
February 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Lace crown twist braid for shorter hair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

novemberfoxtrot
February 2nd, 2012, 07:38 PM
Before LHC it was always a pony tail or Heidi braids. More recently it's been a pony tail bun with a hair band securing it. But TODAY! I'm so excited to have an opportunity to share this! Today I rocked the orchid bun with a hair stick and when I got home traded the hair stick for spin pins and headed in to the gym. Totally worked!

AspenSong
February 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
If I did a braid, mine would be a mess in 5 seconds. lol. I do a high nautilus bun with a Flexi-8 - usually stays totally still and good no matter what I do. :)

MissManda
February 2nd, 2012, 08:41 PM
<-- The roped vortex bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DF5HXky3B8) is both pretty and practical. :D

longhairedlady
February 2nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
I have also been struggling to find a style for my hair that is comfortable. I like the single loose braid, except I worry about the friction of it rubbing against my clothes.

Kira94
February 2nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
What about Elizabethan hair taping? That's supposed to be fairly solid, isn't it? :)

luxepiggy
February 2nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
I'm a fan of the fully-rolled sockbun, with a couple of spin pins in the base to keep it snug against the head. If you position it fairly high, near the crown, it doesn't even get in the way or floor/mat work like stretching, crunches, and most beginning - intermediate yoga work.

Darkessa
February 2nd, 2012, 11:16 PM
I find a high cinnamon bun the easiest if Im not gonna be bouncing around.
But I think that a french braid is most secure for pretty much everything.

W2
February 3rd, 2012, 01:08 AM
I start with a narrow french braid so that my growing bangs are out of the way. Then a high ponytail, which I braid - and if I'm dancing og zumba'ing the end is brought back to the base, so it doesn't whip me in the face. For bodybalance I just wear it in a fluffy top bun.

Nera
February 3rd, 2012, 02:41 AM
I find that braided buns work best for me. I try to put the braid kind of flat on my head, so that the bun doesn't stick out too much and I secure the bun as firm as I can, with lots of hairclips. Still it does get heavy after a while, or sort of fuzzy, but it's what i find works best.

irishlady
February 3rd, 2012, 04:43 AM
The vortex bun. Torrin Paige and Hypnotica have tutorials on youtube.

lunalocks
February 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
A bun secure with spin pins works for me, or a side braid that I secure in a different place each time. The pony caused horrible splits at band line, even though I used soft scrunchies, that I will be recovering from for years. ick. so it's secure bun with spin pins most of the time. 3 will do it.

patienceneeded
February 3rd, 2012, 01:09 PM
I braid my hair and then fold it up along my scalp and secure it with a simple flexi-8. It holds well, even on a 3 mile (or longer) run.

darklyndsea
February 3rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
I do Amish braids. Interlaced braids look like they'd be just as good, but I personally haven't tried them.

jacqueline101
February 3rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
I like a bun myself. I use spin pins and a scrunchi over the top to hold it.

Rilig
February 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
A low bun would be good, so it doesn't get squished when you lay down for sit-ups. That or a top knot, if your neck tends to get hot.