View Full Version : Protein, diet, and hair

Nedertane
February 2nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Okay, so firstly, I apologize if there's already a thread on this, but since my computer is in disrepair at the moment, I'm using my Kindle for Internet access, and for some reason, the search function on here won't really work. Sorry!

Anyway, I wanted to know how more protein in my DIET, not a conditioner, or treatment, or anything, would affect my hair growth/health. A little while ago, I posted a thread about wanting to gain weight, and I hope to implement at least some of the suggestions given to me. However, I also asked my OBGYN about it, since I wondered if my birth control pills were having anything to do with my inability to put on weight. So, from what I told her about my diet/exercise, she suggested that I get more protein in my diet.

I think this might be a good idea, so I want to try to put it into practice, along with the ideas from here. I'm wondering however, if this might be beneficial to my hair in the way that a protein treatment would be, OR, if it could possibly be detrimental in any way, since I think my hair's main problem is a lack of moisture. But, I could br wrong. In any case, any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. :)

turtlelover
February 2nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Nuts are a great way to get extra protein for your hair, healthy fats, and calories for weight gain. Try adding several servings a day and see how it goes.

Hotrox
February 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
Eggs are a great source of protein - I hard boil a batch at a time and have one each morning with my breakfast. I eat mine whole as an extra to whatever else I have for breakfast that morning. They also travel well so if I'm running late or know I'll want a snack later I just wrap one in cellophane and pop in my bag.

ETA: eating more protein will be beneficial to your hair and not cause it to dry our like using a protein treatment ON your hair. However, if your hair is dry you should also try and incorporate more healthy oils and fats too, such as oily fish, avacados and olive and coconut oil in your diet.

Nedertane
February 2nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Well, the dryness isn't too bad now since I have been oiling my hair, and I do get in a good amount of healthy fats/oils. But that's good to know that it won't have the possibly drying effects that an on-hair treatment would.

Amber_Maiden
February 2nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
I eat tofu and nuts for protein.

Amiblue
February 2nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
Eggs also have a nice amount of Biotin in them. Natural way to get protein and biotin in your system which will help your hair. Other foods to consider to get both are: Liver, soybeans (not soy milk though. Cow and goat will give you biotin if you want to drink), nuts (which also have natural omega 3's for healthy body and mind), Swiss Chard (romaine lettuce and spinach are also very good with both and all contain good amounts of vitamin A & C which is needed to produce sebum), whole wheat bread, brewers yeast and oats (aim for steel cut and not the other stuff.)

Hopefully that helps some. Have you had your thyroid checked? It might be something to consider if you haven't and can't get weight either on or to stay on with a reasonable diet consistent with you exercise output. I wish you luck in gaining weight and having healthy hair. :D

Nedertane
February 2nd, 2012, 07:26 PM
I have had a blood test, and it came back normal. My question primarily, though is the effect on my hair. Ive already been trying to eat more eggs, nuts, etc, though that's very interesting that they contain biotin as well.

Amiblue
February 2nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
I have had a blood test, and it came back normal. My question primarily, though is the effect on my hair. Ive already been trying to eat more eggs, nuts, etc, though that's very interesting that they contain biotin as well.

Woops! :o Well, I would have to say it should make your hair grow faster and healthier as you would be feeding it more. The other things should help you in your goal of gaining weight. I am glad you had a test done. Sometimes that can solve a mystery like this quickly. I will say, I am jealous if you just have a fast metabolism. ;):D

<3OnHerSleeve
February 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
If you are still concerned about the effect birth control pills have on your health and hair quality/growth, I'd suggest researching it for yourself as doctors do not have perfect knowledge of everything.

luxepiggy
February 2nd, 2012, 08:42 PM
While I don't know if it would be noticeably beneficial, I'm pretty sure upping your protein consumption wont have an detrimental impact. Otherwise I would have awful hair, since I loooove eating meat! Yum yum yum . . . (^(oo)^)

shikara
February 2nd, 2012, 11:29 PM
Lots of good responses to your question. Undoubtedly lots of protein will contribute to your hair growing to it's full potential, regarding both length and strength!! My main source is lentils, but eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, milk, and a tad of red meat are consciously rotated and eaten regularly.

AutomaticIris
February 2nd, 2012, 11:43 PM
Greek yogurt has alot of protein and is YUMMY delicious!

jeanniet
February 2nd, 2012, 11:58 PM
It would be a good idea to track your diet for a month or so to see if you really do need to eat more protein. If you eat meat, it's very unlikely that you're actually protein deficient unless you're an athlete. Too little protein isn't good, but excess protein intake has been linked to osteoporosis, so be cautious. Just because something is good doesn't mean a lot of it is better. :)

Nedertane
February 3rd, 2012, 05:27 AM
It would be a good idea to track your diet for a month or so to see if you really do need to eat more protein. If you eat meat, it's very unlikely that you're actually protein deficient unless you're an athlete. Too little protein isn't good, but excess protein intake has been linked to osteoporosis, so be cautious. Just because something is good doesn't mean a lot of it is better. :)

I have thought about that. Thing is though, I do eat meat, but I don't know if it's always enough. There will be some days where I eat little to no meat, or any other protein source. I'm glad to hear though, that the effect on my hair is likely to be beneficial, even if on a small scale. Thanks!

turtlelover
February 3rd, 2012, 06:50 AM
There are different websites that allow you to track your calories, protein consumption, etc. in a very detailed way. Sparkpeople.com is the one I prefer. That might be helpful to see if you are actually eating enough protein already.