PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else just have disgustingly oily hair?

ericthegreat
February 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
My scalp is literally like a natural oil factory. If I wash my hair in the morning, I can guarantee that my scalp will already be oily by night time on the same exact day. And since I exercise at least 4 days a week, by the end of my workouts my scalp is oily and sweaty and I MUST go down to the locker room, change and take a shower to wash my hair.

I wash my hair every single day. I follow the CO method, so on a regular basis I only use conditioner to wash my hair. If my hair wasn't 4 feet long, I would most certainly still be using shampoo every day, and probably wouldn't even use any conditioner.

I absolutely can't ever use any oil as a leave-in, they make me look like I got hit by a tanker truck carrying fuel oil. I only use coconut oil as an oil treatment that I immediately must wash out of my hair in the shower after 15 minutes. And when I mean wash, I mean standing under the shower for what seems like FOREVER with the water beating down on my scalp.

I know I'm not the only one out there with crazy oily hair. So how do you handle your oily hair?

luxepiggy
February 2nd, 2012, 05:50 PM
Do you do the traditional CO-wash? Perhaps you'd have better luck with piggy's modified 2-step version . . . I really notice a difference in my scalp's re-oiling rate between the traditional CO wash and my modified version. I was still washing every other day with traditional CO, but with my current routine, 3-4 days seems to be the norm (^(oo)^)v

For reference, before I found LHC, when I was using traditional S&C, I absolutely *had* to wash my hair daily, because it got oily really fast.

MsBubbles
February 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Yes! I do. I do. I found a solution in daily scalp washes with a diluted organic shampoo - Aubrey Organics, which is somewhat oily itself, but doesn't make my scalp itch like drugstore shampoos. I have found it doesn't matter what type of shampoo I use, or how often I wash or attempt to stretch it, I will have an oil slick at 24 hours on the dot, post-wash. Oh well. :rolleyes:

The scalp washes preserve my ends better than when I have to wash the whole lot each day.

irishlady
February 2nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
I have this problem with my scalp, the rest of my hair tends to be dry. My scalp will start getting oily the morning after a wash (I wash it at night).
I can't really win with it, if I leave it more than 3 days without washing, it itches and flakes, if I wash it every day, it itches and flakes even more, and the dryness is terrible.

I just wear it up on wash day, usually the oil I can disguise, if not I wear some sort of headband to hide my hair line.
I use coconut oil for a few hours, sometimes the day before I wash that night.

I've never had anyone notice my oily hair unless it's loose, so I always wear it up when it's oily.

I use a hybrid of S&C and CWC method.

Oh! I nearly forgot, I have just started applying aloe vera gel to my scalp before a wash, I've heard it helps with oil? It definitely stops my shedding anyway! I can't tell yet with the oil.

sparish2
February 2nd, 2012, 06:05 PM
Sounds like we are in the same boat! I also simply MUST wash my hair every day, especially since it's only chin length. Washing my hair before bed is a no-go, since it just get horribly greasy again overnight. Treating my hair with any kind of oil is a disaster. I wash and dry my hair in the morning, and it is usually getting greasy again by dark. If I have to go somewhere I usually use Beyond the Zone dry shampoo.

Every other day, I do the CWC thing, with Rusk Calm conditioner and Head and Shoulders shampoo and conditioner. The in-between days I just use the Head and Shoulders.

My mom says that having such oily hair and skin means I won't get wrinkles for a long time, so there is that :D

spidermom
February 2nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
I used to have to wash every day, but not any more. Thank goodness!
That's one of few very good things about aging.

Phalaenopsis
February 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
Which conditioner do you use for the CO washing? That could be a part of the problem. I know you like the White Camellia one from Aubrey, that would be way too heavy for a CO wash.

Have you tried using a hair lotion in the afternoons? Like Weleda's rosemary lotion or Dr. Hauschka neem lotion? They're good for your scalp and they freshen up a little.

ericthegreat
February 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
Sounds like we are in the same boat! I also simply MUST wash my hair every day, especially since it's only chin length. Washing my hair before bed is a no-go, since it just get horribly greasy again overnight. Treating my hair with any kind of oil is a disaster. I wash and dry my hair in the morning, and it is usually getting greasy again by dark. If I have to go somewhere I usually use Beyond the Zone dry shampoo.

Every other day, I do the CWC thing, with Rusk Calm conditioner and Head and Shoulders shampoo and conditioner. The in-between days I just use the Head and Shoulders.

My mom says that having such oily hair and skin means I won't get wrinkles for a long time, so there is that :D

Birds of a feather flock together. :toast:

ericthegreat
February 2nd, 2012, 06:28 PM
I used to have to wash every day, but not any more. Thank goodness!
That's one of few very good things about aging.

Well in that case I hope I have oily hair for decades to come ahaha.

leslissocool
February 2nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
I have VERY oily hair, however I don't wash every day.

I used to wash every day, and once I complained to my teacher (who had knee length hair) and she told me to just not wash it for a week, wash and do that again a couple more times.

So I did. I let my hair get oily for one week (my family asked me if I was trying to make olive oil :rolleyes: ) even if it got really nasty, then I washed and repeat. I did it for about 3 weeks, and started to notice every time I did so it got oily less and less. Now my hair doesn't look nasty and I wash about twice a week.

Also I don't use conditioner on my roots, just shampoo. And when I use oil as a leave in, I use it on my ends only. I found that Aloe Vera is good giving me a slick back look on my head, I cannot put product or oil from my chin up without making it look all nasty.

ericthegreat
February 2nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
Which conditioner do you use for the CO washing? That could be a part of the problem. I know you like the White Camellia one from Aubrey, that would be way too heavy for a CO wash.

Have you tried using a hair lotion in the afternoons? Like Weleda's rosemary lotion or Dr. Hauschka neem lotion? They're good for your scalp and they freshen up a little.

I use Suave Naturals which are all cone free. I have the Juicy Green Apple and Tropical Coconut. Because my hair is bleached, I do sometimes use AO White Camellia and also AO Honeysuckle Rose.

Phalaenopsis
February 2nd, 2012, 07:12 PM
I use Suave Naturals which are all cone free. I have the Juicy Green Apple and Tropical Coconut. Because my hair is bleached, I do sometimes use AO White Camellia and also AO Honeysuckle Rose.
Maybe that's the problem. When I COwashed with Ultra Doux (a comparable brand with the US Suave and VO5), I have to be careful to not use it all the time, it will give build up. I noticed with that brand, that the conditioners are quite similar when you look at the recipe. So maybe you should try to switch it up with another brand of conditioners? And maybe clarify your hair one time with a good shampoo and give it lots of love afterwards with the White Camellia, since clarifying is always a bit drying.

Clarifying really can work wonders.

Long_hair_bear
February 2nd, 2012, 07:37 PM
I used to have a really oily scalp, but since I started stretching washes a year ago, it's calmed down considerably. At first, it would get oily and nasty, and at those times I just wore it up in a bun to make it look like I had just sleeked my hair back. My scalp adjusted to fewer washings after a few months though. Now, I can go a week and a half sans wash.

ericthegreat
February 2nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
With my occupation, I absolutely can't stretch my washes at all. I must maintain a clean, well groomed appearance at all times and smell nice.

BrightStarPoet
February 2nd, 2012, 09:17 PM
My scalp gets pretty oily too, though with the CO method I've managed to stretch my washes to every other day. Shampoo (especially those with SLS) cause my scalp to get oily faster.

But do any of you ladies find that your face is oily, as well as your scalp? For me they seem to go hand in hand. If I can manage to keep my hair off my forehead (i.e. with a clip or bobby pin), it seems to help to keep my scalp from getting oily for at least one day.

leena_k
February 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
I had very oily hair as well .... it was bad .. but I just did not wash it ... I would shed quite a bit .. but I still did not wash and surprisingly my scalp became less oily .. I can now go on 2 days without washing ... I use mane n' tail shampoo and conditioner ... the shampoo seems to be ok .. but I just love the conditioner ... I also massage my hair with castor oil the night before washing my hair ....

sparish2
February 2nd, 2012, 09:59 PM
My scalp gets pretty oily too, though with the CO method I've managed to stretch my washes to every other day. Shampoo (especially those with SLS) cause my scalp to get oily faster.

But do any of you ladies find that your face is oily, as well as your scalp? For me they seem to go hand in hand. If I can manage to keep my hair off my forehead (i.e. with a clip or bobby pin), it seems to help to keep my scalp from getting oily for at least one day.

Absolutely. I have an oily face to go with my oily hair. To keep it under control, I gently blot my face with a tissue once or twice a day, and wear mineral powder. Lol, even the inside of my ears gets oily :rolleyes:

heidihug
February 3rd, 2012, 12:58 AM
I have the same problem, Eric, have had it all my life. Unfortunately, stretching washes never worked for me. I generally wash every other day, though sometimes in the winter, I go two full days without washing; not because I CAN, but because it is so darn cold out and I don't like going out with damp hair in freezing winter winds. I use dry shampoo when I am not able to wash, and wear my hair up in a braided bun on those days.

Hopefully you will become less oily as you age; I notice that I get fewer blemishes now than I did when I was younger, though my scalp doesn't seem to get the message! :)

ericthegreat
February 3rd, 2012, 01:04 AM
I have the same problem, Eric, have had it all my life. Unfortunately, stretching washes never worked for me. I generally wash every other day, though sometimes in the winter, I go two full days without washing; not because I CAN, but because it is so darn cold out and I don't like going out with damp hair in freezing winter winds. I use dry shampoo when I am not able to wash, and wear my hair up in a braided bun on those days.

Hopefully you will become less oily as you age; I notice that I get fewer blemishes now than I did when I was younger, though my scalp doesn't seem to get the message! :)

As I told spidermom, I hope I have oily hair for decades then. If that's the trade off for staying young, then I'm all for it!

sfgirl
February 3rd, 2012, 01:12 AM
I have the same problem. When I was in middle school always said I didn't wash. :(
Anyways, I CWC. The first condition I do scalp+length. The wash I do roots only. The second condition I do nape down. I hope this helps.

ericthegreat
February 3rd, 2012, 01:21 AM
I have the same problem. When I was in middle school always said I didn't wash. :(
Anyways, I CWC. The first condition I do scalp+length. The wash I do roots only. The second condition I do nape down. I hope this helps.

I'll try it thank you. :flower:

linnepinne
February 3rd, 2012, 01:41 AM
I'm in this grease boat along with all of you :waving:

My "solution" to this problem has been to stop using traditional shampoo. I haven't for about five years. I have been working on stretching my washes for maybe the last year or so (more or less intensely), I used Rhassoul clay, BS+ACV, CO, but none of that worked. I just started experimenting with CWC, using cone free condish and a very mild SLS shampoo (pH 4,7 - the same as our skins natural pH apparently) which I dilute extremely well with water.
My first goal is to wash only once a week, and then strech some more and hopefully be able to go WO in the end. For the first time in my life I've been able to stretch 5 days! Yay! :cheer:
But- only by doing WO washes in between my CWC. I've done it twice in 5 days. I use honey on my scalp during these WO washes (guess that makes them not WO, but rather Honey Washes?), and an ACV-rinse and I massage the living cr*p out of my scalp to distribute the oils. The reason I use honey is that it has helped my face slow down its oil production (I use it as face wash or a mask) and it helps with acne, so I thought I would try it on my scalp. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't hurt either :)

MaryMarx
February 3rd, 2012, 02:08 AM
I have it too. I wash every two or three days, and that last day I have to wear a hat. That's okay now since it is freezing winter, but how about summer? :(

Fun story. I was at a café and just happened to look in a mirror next to me. The hair was okay (washed the night before) but my scalp was so greasy it looked wet.
I actually pressed a finger against it and it looked wet from the oil. :D

Atleast some comfort for me is that it didn't use to be like this, so I hope I can make it right again. I hope you find something that works for you. :)

ericthegreat
February 3rd, 2012, 02:10 AM
I have it too. I wash every two or three days, and that last day I have to wear a hat. That's okay now since it is freezing winter, but how about summer? :(

Fun story. I was at a café and just happened to look in a mirror next to me. The hair was okay (washed the night before) but my scalp was so greasy it looked wet.
I actually pressed a finger against it and it looked wet from the oil. :D

Atleast some comfort for me is that it didn't use to be like this, so I hope I can make it right again. I hope you find something that works for you. :)

Like I said before, birds of a feather flock together. :toast:
At least we're not alone. :)

beautifulending
February 3rd, 2012, 02:32 AM
I have wash with a deep cleansing shampoo everyday (followed by a good conditioner and some coconut or argan oil) if I don't well lets just say my hair doesn't look pretty at ALL! :(

ericthegreat
February 3rd, 2012, 03:03 AM
I have wash with a deep cleansing shampoo everyday (followed by a good conditioner and some coconut or argan oil) if I don't well lets just say my hair doesn't look pretty at ALL! :(

Oh why were we born with such oily scalps? :(

Toadstool
February 3rd, 2012, 03:32 AM
LOL the only thing that works for me is bleaching the **** out of my hair so it's so dry it soaks up the oil..:p not recommended :)

ericthegreat
February 3rd, 2012, 03:44 AM
LOL the only thing that works for me is bleaching the **** out of my hair so it's so dry it soaks up the oil..:p not recommended :)

I've already done that LOL. I'm a golden blonde, but still that has no effect on my scalp. My scalp will always continue to erupt with oil like a volcano that spews sebum ahaha.

Toadstool
February 3rd, 2012, 03:56 AM
Yeah but your hair isn't dry and damaged! I did mine four times in a few days and it's like candy floss. I'm not recommending this btw!

mz_butterfly
February 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
The only time I was super oily was when I used baby oil as a deep condition. That was a mess. I was put off oils after that but maybe if I found the right one it would be ok. My hair gets dry so I have the opposite problem.

jacqueline101
February 3rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
As a child and it was dry but as a teenager it was an oil slick. I think mine was hormones. Now its dry. I don't know if stretching washes helped or not. It doesn't get overly oily.

BrightStarPoet
February 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Absolutely. I have an oily face to go with my oily hair. To keep it under control, I gently blot my face with a tissue once or twice a day, and wear mineral powder. Lol, even the inside of my ears gets oily :rolleyes:

Omg I thought I was the only person who got oily ears! I've even had a blemish in my ear- not pleasant at all! I've recently stopped using Stridex type pads on my face, and instead I'm using more gentle cleansing methods (dove soap or gentle face wipes), and that with CO method seems to help cut down on the sebum/oil production on my face and scalp. I had to use regular SLS shampoo yesterday to wash out a conditioner that left a waxy residue on my hair, and today my scalp is oily. Grrr!

Annalouise
February 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Eric - you're funny.:D
Yes, my hair and face tend to be on the oily side. If I don't wash my face 2x a day I'll get blackheads or pimples.

And I wash my hair daily. Not washing my hair daily (CO or Shampoo & cond) led to hair loss. And I notice that even if I stretch my washes 2 days I lose more hair.

My head and face are just happier with daily washing. And I am happier because I love feeling clean.

Mairéad
February 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
My hair use to get so oily I shampooed twice a day. One day I just decided to stop using shampoo and it now takes about a week for it to get oily, and it's only at my neck. I think for some it's a matter of shampoo causing over-production, but for sure some just have oily scalps. The weird part is I have oily skin, but not oily hair. But my oily skin improved dramatically when I stopped using soaps on it, too.

Tomoyo
February 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
I used to have the same problem, until I just forced myself one day to stop washing my hair every day. It took a couple of weeks to adjust, but the freedom I felt at not having to wash it every day was incredible!

AnnetteRN
February 3rd, 2012, 02:59 PM
Hi everyone :) I am a newby and loving all of the helpful advice. So I hope this helps. I too have a very oily scalp. I also have stick straight fine hair. I did a little research on oily scalp and learned that diet has a lot to contribute. So I have eliminated fried greasy foods and a lot of other junk. Look up Natalia Rose's Raw Food Detox Diet. (She also has a website) her plan teaches us to eat in a way the nourishes our bodies inside and out including the hair :) it's not easy. But it's worth it!

ericthegreat
February 3rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hi everyone :) I am a newby and loving all of the helpful advice. So I hope this helps. I too have a very oily scalp. I also have stick straight fine hair. I did a little research on oily scalp and learned that diet has a lot to contribute. So I have eliminated fried greasy foods and a lot of other junk. Look up Natalia Rose's Raw Food Detox Diet. (She also has a website) her plan teaches us to eat in a way the nourishes our bodies inside and out including the hair :) it's not easy. But it's worth it!

I am an absolutely heath freak. I exercise at least 4 days a week man! My scalp is jsut gentically programmed to be oily, there's no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

And again for the record, with my occupation there is absolutely NO WAY that I am allowed to stretch my washes. If I even try a day and a half without washing my hair, my scalp will righteously put me in my place and literally flow with sebum. And if I even think about going two days without washing, I get the nastiest itch on my scalp so bad that I scratch my scalp until it bleeds.

Ergo, I have to wash my scalp and hair every single day.

ericthegreat
February 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Eric - you're funny.:D
Yes, my hair and face tend to be on the oily side. If I don't wash my face 2x a day I'll get blackheads or pimples.

And I wash my hair daily. Not washing my hair daily (CO or Shampoo & cond) led to hair loss. And I notice that even if I stretch my washes 2 days I lose more hair.

My head and face are just happier with daily washing. And I am happier because I love feeling clean.

I keep saying it, so birds of a feather flock together. :cake:

nobeltonya
February 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
I have to wash my hair every day, otherwise it just feels GROSS. :P Which I don't mind doing, luckily. :) I can't even CO, or it totally changes the texture of my hair and feels weird.. doesn't quite get all the oil out or something. I shampoo, condition and use leave-in every day. Oil the night before. But, at least I've finally gotten into a routine that works. Took me long enough to find it [over a year of experimenting].

And I also noticed that I had more dandruff and shedding not washing. I was more oily and earlier in the day as well, which is also very gross... my face is already oily, and even if I washed it and put powder, by the middle of the day it'd be a mess. I too love the feel of a clean scalp. And I love the smell of my hair when I take down a wet bun and you can still smell the shampoo/conditioner. :)

ericthegreat
February 4th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I have to wash my hair every day, otherwise it just feels GROSS. :P Which I don't mind doing, luckily. :) I can't even CO, or it totally changes the texture of my hair and feels weird.. doesn't quite get all the oil out or something. I shampoo, condition and use leave-in every day. Oil the night before. But, at least I've finally gotten into a routine that works. Took me long enough to find it [over a year of experimenting].

And I also noticed that I had more dandruff and shedding not washing. I was more oily and earlier in the day as well, which is also very gross... my face is already oily, and even if I washed it and put powder, by the middle of the day it'd be a mess. I too love the feel of a clean scalp. And I love the smell of my hair when I take down a wet bun and you can still smell the shampoo/conditioner. :)

Ugggggg the worse part is waiting for my hair to air-dry. With my length, it now take anywhere between 5 to 7 whole HOURS for me to dry. That's why I always wash my hair right after eating dinner. The hours while I sleep are jsut enough for it to air-dry. And even then, I have waken up to my hair still slightly damp fairly often. But that's okay because by the time I brush my teeth, my hair will have certainly completely dried by then.

And again since I must wash my scalp and hair every single day, I have to go thro this every single day . :steam

morrigan*
February 4th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Maybe vinegar rise will help to balance the scalp. It help me to wash less.

unknown
February 4th, 2012, 05:42 AM
My hair is extremely oily as well, and CO on my scalp didn't help much. Now I WO on my scalp and use cone-free conditioner on my hair and can go without washing for about a week compared to before when I was washing every second day.

pepperminttea
February 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM
My roots get oily very quickly too. Cutting down on manipulation has really helped (ie. wearing it up, and saving my 'let's mess with my hair!' sessions until the roots are already oily), and stretching washes. I don't think it's disgusting though. :shrug: Just the scalp's own way of looking after itself.

adiapalic
February 4th, 2012, 09:42 AM
It sounds like you're going to have to break down and shampoo your scalp only.

Your scalp produces so much oil already, there is no reason you should be adding more oil (particularly AO Honeysuckle Rose) to it, especially daily!

The length is a different story altogether--especially bleached length. So as you know, conditioning it *only* is going to do nothing but good things.

IME, shampooing the scalp does not damage the hair any further, *especially* if it gets coated with natural sebum quickly like yours (and mine).

ETA: I totally forgot to add this. If you ever want to try something different, when I get a really yucky scalp, but the length is perfect, I just shampoo my scalp. That is, I braid it, hold up the braid and wet my scalp and just wash it with shampoo while my braid stays (relatively) dry.

Cuts down on the drying time for sure (and is, of course, less stress on the length) This really helps in a pinch too.

UP Lisa
February 8th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I've had a very oily scalp ever sine I was a young teenager. I think i inherited it from my Dad. He is 86, and still oily.:eek: I am 51, and there is no sign of it slowing down. I have the oily ears, also. My face gets oily in the "T" zone.

CO washing does not help me. I have had no luck stretching washes. I am trying to do scalp washes again to try to protect the length from so much detangling.

It it hard not to be envious of people who don't have to wash so much.