PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair like protein?

Long_hair_bear
February 2nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
Hey there!

I've read on here how some people's hair loves protein and others abhore it. I just found out this morning that my hair loves it after using my protein shampoo last night (Abba). Does your hair love or hate protein?

On a side note, I bought hair pins and neutrogenas clarifying shampoo today to try out. My hair is due for a clarififying soon. :D

PrairieRose
February 2nd, 2012, 01:55 PM
I think my hair loves protein too!:heartbeat

gthlvrmx
February 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
My hair just hates protein and hates oil. *shrugs* I cant use moisturizing conditioners's or anything with protein in it, i have to use something bland and simple like suave ocean breeze.

piratejenny
February 2nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Egg washes have changed my life - seemes like my hair is madly in love with protein :D

Synnovea
February 2nd, 2012, 01:59 PM
I think I'm a protein gal myself. Most of my routine includes protein-heavy ingredients and when I came to TLHC and started trying new things, specifically the SMT among other things, my hair was a sad panda.

Back to the old tried and true for me.

luxepiggy
February 2nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
Mine loves protein in moderation, but I have to take care not to overdo it. Protein overload makes my hair very, very angry (>(oo)<)`

ETA - This is what happens when my hair decides it's had too much protein:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/proteinoverload1.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/proteinoverload02.jpg

And for comparison, this is how it looks with the right amount of protein:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/proteinfixed01.jpg

delsh
February 2nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
My hair HATES protein! With the fiery passion of a thousand white-hot suns :laugh: The first use is usually alright, but if I try again, wooh! Very angry hair, just like luxepiggy.

fiddlefananb
February 2nd, 2012, 02:19 PM
My hair HATES protein! With the fiery passion of a thousand white-hot suns :laugh: The first use is usually alright, but if I try again, wooh! Very angry hair, just like luxepiggy.
Couldn't have said it better myself. My hair is horrible with protein! Forget brushing or combing at all! I am left with a big, tangly mess.

Long_hair_bear
February 2nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Sadly, my hairs favorite shampoo, abba, has parafens, so clarifying is going to have to start happening more often. At least my condish is cone free so I don't have a double build up. :) I love cone condishes, but stopped using them. Kudos to you girls that do!

WaterMusic
February 2nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
My hair is not fond of protein. It doesn't hate it with the passion of a thousand fiery suns like some of you, but it definitely doesn't like it.

chou
February 2nd, 2012, 02:59 PM
My hair can't stand protein. I never used an actual protein treatment, but any regular conditioner that happens to have a bit of protein in it turns my hair into a snarled, fragile, bushy mess in short order.
I'm curious to follow this thread because I've always wondered why some people's hair loves protein while others' can't stand it. I've heard that it is related to strand texture--coarse hair can't tolerate protein while fine hair needs it--but I don't know if this is actually true. My hair is medium/coarse and wavy.

Long_hair_bear
February 2nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Mine loves protein in moderation, but I have to take care not to overdo it. Protein overload makes my hair very, very angry (>(oo)<)`

ETA - This is what happens when my hair decides it's had too much protein:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/proteinoverload1.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/proteinoverload02.jpg

And for comparison, this is how it looks with the right amount of protein:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/proteinfixed01.jpg

I think our hair is very similar, piggy. Both straight, both love proteins and cones. I'm trying to wean mine off of cones, but I may have to end up giving in. :o

luxepiggy
February 2nd, 2012, 03:16 PM
I think our hair is very similar, piggy. Both straight, both love proteins and cones. I'm trying to wean mine off of cones, but I may have to end up giving in. :o

I highly recommend amodimethicone! It doesn't build up so you don't have to clarify. I've not used any shampoo since I switched exclusively to CO-washing (with amodimethicone-containing conditioner) in June, and my hair is happier than ever. I bet your hair would like this one - it's got amodimethicone and protein, and leaves my hair soft, shiny, and surprisingly bouncy! L'Oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Mirror Shine Conditioner, For Medium To Long Hair That's Damaged (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=172527&catid=183410) (^(oo)^)v

Long_hair_bear
February 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM
I highly recommend amodimethicone! It doesn't build up so you don't have to clarify. I've not used any shampoo since I switched exclusively to CO-washing (with amodimethicone-containing conditioner) in June, and my hair is happier than ever. I bet your hair would like this one - it's got amodimethicone and protein, and leaves my hair soft, shiny, and surprisingly bouncy! L'Oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Mirror Shine Conditioner, For Medium To Long Hair That's Damaged (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=172527&catid=183410) (^(oo)^)v

That wasn't on your routine list. :confused: I was thinking about copying your routine as our hair types and likes are so similar. I'm very interested in your shine spray. :D

turtlelover
February 2nd, 2012, 03:29 PM
My fine, wavy hair LOVES protein.

Anje
February 2nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Mine really dislikes protein. It largely does the same sorts of things that Piggy's does (good pics!), though it's more extreme because my hair's wavy. Incidentally, it also does that about 2 days after I use silicones -- I think that both silicones and protein are drying to my hair, which causes that sort of misbehavior. (I suspect cyclopentasiloxane is to blame, but I haven't isolated and confirmed that yet.)

ratgirldjh
February 2nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
My hair doesn't like protein or glycerine!

Protein used once is ok (barely) my hair gets hard... but used 2x in a row it is dry, dull, tangly and just not happy.

luxepiggy
February 2nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
That wasn't on your routine list. :confused: I was thinking about copying your routine as our hair types and likes are so similar. I'm very interested in your shine spray. :D

I actually stopped using it because my HG conditioner, Acca Kappa White Moss, already has protein in it. When I used the L'Or&#233;al in conjunction with the Acca Kappa for my 2-step CO wash method, it started getting too close to my protein threshold for comfort. Obviously I didn't want to give up the Acca Kappa, so I switched to the Garnier for cleansing because it's only got a negligible amount of protein.

If I were still using shampoo once a month like I used to, then I would definitely still be using the L'Oreal Nutri Gloss as well. I highly recommend it!

ETA: ah, the shine spray. It is a little blue aerosol can full of magic http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/bb16.gif

Pazita!
February 2nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
My hair LOVES LOVES LOVES protein!! Since I started washing my hair with eggs it looks and feels so much stronger and softer, also now it is bouncy and manageable.

Kelikea
February 2nd, 2012, 05:10 PM
I guess my hair is ok with proteins. I never even thought about it until last week, though. I was using the VO5 strawberry with soymilk protein, and my hair is fine with that. But when I went through my stash and found two other versions of conditioners, and one shampoo, they all contain protein and my hair is fine with them. They are the Nature's Gate organics chamomile conditioner and the persimmon rose geranium S & C. I haven't ever noticed if my hair needs protein or not, I just realized that the protein doesn't "mess it up".

BrightEyes
February 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
My hair likes protein (I'm assuming it's because I highlight), although it is happiest when it has a good balance of protein and moisture. So I try to use really moisturizing shampoos & conditioners and give it a good protein DT once a week, followed by moisture.

LadyKate
February 2nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
I decided to try mane n' tail because I heard really good things, and my hair was very happy after the first use. Then I used it again maybe 2 weeks later, not happy hair. However, I've used it again, and happy hair, so for me it seems like once a month is good.

aisha.christine
February 2nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
My hair loves protein, but in the right amount. If I have a protein overload, my hair becomes a disaster. :( BUT, with the right amount of protein, my hair is soft, tangle-free and oh-so manageable. :D

shikara
February 2nd, 2012, 11:23 PM
I too just recently rediscovered protein, and my hair responded beautifully to it! the protein used is keratin, and I get it with shampoo and regular protein conditioner, rather than with special treatments. So far, that's all I need and there is no worry about possible horrid results.

Synnovea
February 2nd, 2012, 11:54 PM
Shikara, I too use shampoo and conditioner that have keratin in them--Enjoy, to be exact. Which do you use?

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 3rd, 2012, 04:13 AM
Is it bad too say, I really dont know? LOL.
I use different products, ever so often, I dont have a regimen or anything, my hair loves moisture due to the fact that I am a curly and need it as well as cones.
When I use protein my hair doesnt react much different, tends to be dry, but usually a leave in or oil fixes it, lol.
Aussie 3 minute miracle, make my hair SO. Idek. Soft. Moist. Managed. My hair loves it.
Suave naturals, coconut, on the other hand, which i think has protein, doesnt do much to my hair. Cleans it, but nothing more.

UltraBella
February 3rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
My hair LOVES protein !!!!!!! I use the Joico K-Pak products and my hair is in heaven. I have been using a chelating shampoo followed by a protein treatment followed by a non-cone conditioner. Wow, what a difference.

ericthegreat
February 3rd, 2012, 07:29 AM
My body loves protein that's for sure. I eat scrambled eggs, lean cuts of meat, chicken, I love sushi, shrimp, crab, and lobster with a generous dunking of butter, and also I do eat my veggies like broccoli and spinach.

Ohhhhh this is a hair thread? My bad, I didn't notice. :whistle:

Amber_Maiden
February 3rd, 2012, 07:39 AM
My hair doesn't mind it. It can go either way really.

Anje
February 3rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
I'm a bit envious of those of you who get the right amount of protein from your products. I have to read labels and carefully avoid it!

mz_butterfly
February 3rd, 2012, 07:53 AM
I found out the hard way that my hair hates protein. I used some kind of solution that I got from a salon and it fried my hair. It looked and felt awful for about 2 weeks. I'm scared to try anything new after that experience.

ranaenelcomal
February 3rd, 2012, 08:19 AM
I now know that protein should be used sparingly, but last year I did not so I used Joico's protein conditioner 2 or 3 times a week for a couple of months. I got sooo many split ends! I didn't link the two until I went to the hairdresser to get the damage cut off (about an inch and a half) and she told me that too much protein seems to cause breakage.

I stopped using it and my split end count has gone back to normal.

Using proteins sparingly might have yielded more beneficial results, but I wouldn't know because I stopped using the conditioner altogether.

jacqueline101
February 3rd, 2012, 09:14 AM
My hair likes protein it likes oils any way. Its never went angry after oiling. This last summer it drank oil when it was hot and humid and really cold.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
My hair loves protein. Not overly so, in moderation. Can't use protein every time because then my hair will rebel.

blondie9912
February 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
My hair hates protein, Mane n Tail makes it very crunchy and brittle

catamonica
February 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
I use horse shampoo. In 09 my hair grew fourteen inches to my waist. It has protein in it.

Hollyfire3
February 3rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
Another vote for hate...i think. Did i mention this is all very complicated? See, i had a bad run in with protein overload this summer (dry, flat lifeless, brittle, breaking, damaged, tangled unbalanced mess) from which i thought i may never recover. But now, i was using protein free stuff for a while and i just used a protein heavy conditioner with good results, my hair is curlier, happier and bouncier then it has been in a while. So, the jury is still out, maybe my hair hates too much protein but needs it for balance every once and a while?

morrigan*
June 27th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I don't really do protein deep treatments, but my regular s&c are with proteins so my hair doesn't really mind it :D

poppy81
June 27th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Sorry if this is a silly question, but how can you tell if your hair likes protein or not?

hellucy
June 27th, 2012, 03:36 AM
My hair likes protein in small amounts - I can use a shampoo/conditioner with protein for a few washes then stop for a few washes & my hair is fine, I just cant use it all the times or :rant: angry hair - My hair hates protein treatments it gets so dry, crunchy & tangly I cant get a comb through it even if I conditioned after.

PolarCathy
June 27th, 2012, 03:38 AM
It's interesting, mine is just fine without it (never complains) but it loves when I use the Mane 'n Tail conditioner as a leave-in, and man that is thick and loaded with protein. :D

LaFlor
June 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM
My hair doesn't seem to mind protein... I've never even paid attention to ingredientes and my hair has always looked nice :shrug:

DarkSky
June 27th, 2012, 07:01 AM
My hair seems to need a protien treatment after a month or else my wurls start to look flat and lifeless.

Vampyria
June 27th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Well my hair reacted badly to Joico K-PAK Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor (contains keratin) in the past (I used it less frequently than recommended and left it on under 5 minutes). I noticed increased breakage.

Last week I did a cassia treatment which usually leaves my hair pretty soft. But I added yogurt to the mix and just kind of "forgot" it contains protein.:brickwall
My hair still feels like wire now, and I also noticed one strand that was totally split (not just at the end) and some breakage. :( And there really is no other thing that could cause damage.

But when I used Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner frequently, I didn't have problems at all.

Maybe my hair can only handle the plant based protein or GPB just contains much less of it. :shrug:

rach
June 27th, 2012, 08:39 AM
occasionally my hair needs protein but rarely .
too much makes it too shiny and wirery and poofed up.

OrganicJewel
June 27th, 2012, 08:40 AM
my hair loves protein but it's very bleached underneath my dark hair, so that must be why. Otherwise before I bleached it, it never seemed to need it.

UP Lisa
June 27th, 2012, 09:05 AM
The way I understand it is that hair is made up of protein, so when it is damaged you can fill in the damaged areas with protein. If hair is not damaged, it does not need more protein, and will react badly to it.

NataschaB.
June 27th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Actually 'm not quite sure. I've used Stuhr shampoo, which has protein in it and my hair seems to like it. A couple of weeks ago I tried putting coconut oil in my hair while it was damp, but when my hair was dry, it tangled the ends of my hair.

Tia2010
June 27th, 2012, 09:22 AM
My hair loves protein in my shampoo and conditioner. It makes it feel soft and thick . I also do a deep protein treatment every few months and my hair seems to really like it.

jojo
June 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
My hair hated protein until I hit waist and now it can't get enough of it. I use an egg shampoo by Vatican and follow with a moisturising dc after every wash, my hair is very happy with this routine.

spidermom
June 27th, 2012, 10:49 AM
My stylist tells me my hair could benefit from a bit more protein.

catamonica
June 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I guess it must. After using horse shampoo in 2009, my hair grew from past midback to waist.
Horse shampoo has protein in it.

blaketob
June 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I'm not really sure how my hair feels about it. I think it likes it though :) I know the product "Miracle It's a 10" has lots of protein in it and my hair seems to like it. I always try to mix stuff up though

palaeoqueen
June 28th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Mine hate protein. It's odd because everyone says that damaged hair should love protein but mine is very damaged, especially the last 3-4", and when I was using a protein heavy spoo/condish the ends pretty much exploded. I had split on splits and white dots galore. I sat one day in the garden patiently trimming them all out, it was like straw :( It had been in pretty good condition considering the damage until then and is now better again after changing routine so I have no doubt whatsoever that it's the protein to blame.