PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gotten Keratin straightening? Or similar treatments?

carolinewxo
February 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
I've made a thread or two about it a few weeks ago, and I think I'm going to go for it, but I'm still kind of nervous too so I thought I'd get a couple last opinions before I get it next week....Sorry, I have hair anxiety and do hours of research before I make any change to my hair lol

I have hair with not so much wave, but body body body....think sienna miller, http://tinyurl.com/7quy3mj

But I want it smooooth and straight without having to use a flat iron, think Selena gomez's old bob, or olivia palermos bob, where it just flicks under the ends at most. I think maybe keratin will do this since my hair really isn't very wavy, and it seems to cut the number of curls and poof in half for most people.

But I'm so scared the chemicals will damage it! I know theres a few, and some people say you'll see what actually happened to your hair after the treatment is over.

Has anyone done this? And can you post before/after pics if you have any? And preferably here if you do? My account on here is so weird and doesn't let me view any profiles...

Thank you for putting up with my nervous trainwreck self :)

MaryMarx
February 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
Just wanna say that you have to have 25+ posts to view profiles. :)

louwulf
February 2nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say that the reason I stumbled onto this site was that as a "special treat" for my daughter who has 51" hair, I took her in for an Amico amino amplex treatment that was billed like the keratin, but supposed to be more natural. What a disaster! I think it would have been fine for someone with shorter hair, but they were out of their league with her hair. They never mentioned that the product they worked through her hair would be sticky! The combing through process took hours and ripped out a lot of hair. We tried to bail on the process midway only to be told it would wreck her hair unless completed. They also neglected to tell us ahead of time no braids, clips, pins or elastics for 72 hours! This happened a week ago and her hair does feel thinner but I'm unsure if it's due to hair loss or the process. I've been learning a lot about how to treat her hair right on here. Thanks all of you who post. I was told by the salon owner that the process shouldn't have been done on anyone with her hair length, so hopefully it will be different on shorter hair.

jeanniet
February 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
I haven't had it done, but what I always tell myself if I want to try something that could be iffy in terms of damage (this was more in my younger days, lol) is that you have to balance what you want with what the consequences could be. In other words, maybe what you want to do won't cause serious damage, but enough so that you can't grow it as long as you want and will have to settle for a shorter length. Is that acceptable to you? If it is, go for it, but if your biggest goal is to grow as long as possible, then maybe you have to decide what your priority should be. If your hair is really fine, I would be cautious, because that's the hair that's more likely to be damaged by the treatment. Have you talked to anyone with your hair type who's had it done?

turtlelover
February 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
I am generally a fan of embracing your natural texture, but if you are determined to do it, just be sure that the salon has a VERY GOOD reputation, because I have heard a lot of horror stories.

sparish2
February 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Well, my mom had very stubborn BSL hair that was curly in some sections and straight in others. Very thick and coarse. She went and got keratin straightening, and while it still isn't completely straight, it is a lot smoother and more manageable for her. Then again, she has hair of steel.

cheetahfast
February 3rd, 2012, 06:11 AM
Do you know which kind the salon uses??
Some versions of it are bad and will very likely destroy your hair.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i360/cheetahfast/Skin/P1000954-1.jpghttp://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i360/cheetahfast/Skin/P1000955a.jpg

These pictures are from before and the day right after. I think waited to wash, thought my hairstylist said the type he used meant I could wash it that night.
Someone I knew had got it done and said to wait to wash :shrug:.

My hair was not straight when I let it air dry naturally after the treatment. It simply removed most of the frizz and loosened the curl slightly.
There is no guarantee it will make you hair straight

Soon after doing it I chopped off all of my damaged hair. Now after a year since my last treatment and being heat free I realized that my hair was frizzy from abuse.
My hair also no longer curls that way, which you can see in my siggy.

I still do not recommend the treatment.
My hairstylist has stopped doing it since he thinks it damages his clients hair.
Oh and the chemicals being horrible :rolleyes:.
I got physically ill after the treatment, twice.

I used to think it wasn't so bad, but I used to be desperate for straight frizz free hair.

Amber_Maiden
February 3rd, 2012, 06:29 AM
From what I've heard about the treatment, I would not do it. I think it's very damaging.

Oksana
February 3rd, 2012, 08:18 AM
I had the keratin treatment twice in the last 2 last years.

For the first 6 months I thought it was a dream come true, silky straight hair without even using a hair-dryer. Then the damage started to appear. The bottom 2/3 inches began to feel like i had held a straightener on them until they fried. My hair was constantly dry and breaking off.

I have later been told that when then keratin/formaldehyde coating wears off the damage that the treatment did is shown.

Alongside this 18 months on I still haven't had my natural texture back and all together i have had to cut away over 5 inches of damaged hair :(

jacqueline101
February 3rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
I've never done karatin but I did a straightening perm by ogilvie and it did wonders but my hair was like broom straw for a few days. I did this in 2007.