PDA

View Full Version : The Science Behind Egg Treatments

daffodil7
February 2nd, 2012, 10:40 AM
I have read in many places that the protein molecules in eggs are too large to penetrate the hair shaft, but so many people feel that using egg treatments make their hair feel stronger and look fuller and thicker. How do eggs work to do that if they are not providing some protein?

I also read that if you use just the yolk in your egg treatment, you can rinse with warm water without having to worry. Do you get the same results with just using the yolk in egg shampoos, egg + conditioner washes and egg deep protein-like conditioners?

daffodil7
February 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Oh also, since eggs are so cleansing, does anyone know if they could possibly remove cones in a cowash. I know most natural things like castile soap and baking soda cannot, but I cannot find any definite answers about eggs. I wonder if it's possible.

daffodil7
February 2nd, 2012, 04:17 PM
bumping in the hopes of some insight

Allychan
February 2nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Egg whites are very drying, wipe some on your skin and you'll see. The yolk contains biotin, studies have shown topical application of biotin assists keratin.
Sorry short answer, had no sleep. New puppy.:puppykisses:

shikara
February 4th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Sheesh, I wish I knew more than I did. I do know that apparently the protein in eggs will not bind to the hair. I also know that for about twelve years I regularly gave my fac a steam and egg mask and my skin was luscious! So maybe could help scalp. Hmmm. I might look into this some more!

Madora
February 4th, 2012, 05:12 PM
From George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair (1981 Doubleday -pg 50):

Ancient Egyptians, for example, were the first to develop an egg shampoo. Even though an egg has the smallest protein cells of all living proteins, these still cannot penetrate the hair. If you beat an egg yolk and an egg white separately, and then combine them gently, you'll have a marvelous shampoo and your hair will shine like a mirror. But when you comb your hair afterward, you'll find you have a good deal of breakage because of "molecular piggyback" (residue) - particles of the egg sit on the shingles of your hair and the comb does not slide happily through.