PDA

View Full Version : Removing yellowness from light brown hair?

HollywoodRouge
February 2nd, 2012, 05:26 AM
So one of the main problems i have with my hair is the yellowness/goldness of it. Naturally my hair is mid-light brown with natural very golden highlights. However, i did get some 'blonde' highlights in my hair awhile ago, and they have turned yellow overtime + i have gotten a semi-permanent about 3 times on my hair in a colour slightly darker than my natural colour with ash undertones, however this has now faded out and my hairdresser never did it light enough to my liking anyway. So now, after wanting to take more control over my hair colour so i can actually get it to my liking, i have started lightening with honey (4 times now) which has been working well, however now i am looking to rid my hair of the yellow/golden highlights!
Is it a good idea for me to chelate my hair? I was thinking of getting the Joico K-Pak Professional Chelating Shampoo; is this a good one?
Also, i was thinking after using the chelating shampoo, next wash i would wash my hair with a purple shampoo. I know these are usually made for people with blonde hair, so would it work on the highlights on my light brown hair? And if so does anyone have any recommendations/experience with a good purple shampoo for my colour hair? Or should i use a blue one?
For reference, I'm eventually aiming for VERY light brown, almost dark blonde, but not blonde, hair, with whiter/ashy undertones (hence me wanting the gold/yellow gone!)
Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Phalaenopsis
February 2nd, 2012, 06:14 AM
Just use the purple shampoo :) It will do wonders on its own

Kizuna
February 2nd, 2012, 06:15 AM
I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to color and bleaching, but I've heard from a girl that you can use red wine instead of silver schampoo. She used red wine and her hair became less yellow. :)

jojo
February 2nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
violet shampoo or crushed vitamin C mixed in shampoo works well as a cheleating product!

GoldberryHair
February 2nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
SHIMMER LIGHTS PURPLE SHAMPOO SAVED MY LIFE

(look at the before and after pics in my album)

it's amazing, good luck!

HollywoodRouge
February 3rd, 2012, 11:45 PM
yeh, i might go for a purple shampoo, might just pick up any one next time i go to the supermarket.
red wine? haha I'm afraid that would give me reddish hues!
have decided maybe i'll hold back on the chelating.. I'm happy with the feel/texture of my hair atm anyway, so why mess with a good thing right?
and i've heard chelating is very harsh, so maybe when i decide to do it ill just use a clarifying shampoo instead.
btw, is purple shampoo something you use all the time, or just when you notice your hairs getting yellow? like, will it turn my hair purple if i use it too much, or does the yellow come back if i don't keep re-using it?

einna
February 4th, 2012, 08:07 AM
yeh, i might go for a purple shampoo, might just pick up any one next time i go to the supermarket.
red wine? haha I'm afraid that would give me reddish hues!
have decided maybe i'll hold back on the chelating.. I'm happy with the feel/texture of my hair atm anyway, so why mess with a good thing right?
and i've heard chelating is very harsh, so maybe when i decide to do it ill just use a clarifying shampoo instead.
btw, is purple shampoo something you use all the time, or just when you notice your hairs getting yellow? like, will it turn my hair purple if i use it too much, or does the yellow come back if i don't keep re-using it?

You only use it once in a while. It can be harsh on hair. It can make some hairs purple, but only if you use to much for to long, like a deep treatment, this mostly happens on blondes though.

Kelikea
February 4th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Shikai has some more natural color shampoos--
Shikai Color Reflect Deep or Platinum Shampoo might help
http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?previousText=shikai&ss=1&x=0&y=0&ntk=products&Ntt=shikai%20color%20reflect%20shampoo (http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?previousText=shikai&ss=1&x=0&y=0&ntk=products&Ntt=shikai%20color%20reflect%20shampoo)

HollywoodRouge
February 10th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Just an update, used some purple shampoo after a honey treatment, and whist minimal, i did notice some of my golden highlights were less harsh and more toned down.
Going to do it again, but wondering if it would be beneficial if i left the purple shampoo on my head for maybe 5-10 mins, instead of just shampooing like normal and rinsing? Sort of like a deep conditioner, haha.