PDA

View Full Version : Winter - slow growth! Anyone else?

MonaLisa
February 2nd, 2012, 04:13 AM
I've noticed some people complain about this in random threads..

I've also noticed there is often a pattern for many of us..

For example - Autumn seasonal shedding, and in same time very fast growth, at least for me..
Now, at winter, I barely shed few hairs and my thickness really improved.. by 1/2inch even..But the growth rate is sooo slow :(

I am guessing with the little spring shed, growth rate will increase again...

What is your pattern?

misspurdy06
February 2nd, 2012, 04:30 AM
My growth has slowed but I think it has more to do with me being less active.

cheetahfast
February 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM
My growth has slowed too...however I've started to check my length a bit too often.

I think the saying is "a watched pot never boils" :shrug:.

PorkChop
February 2nd, 2012, 05:36 AM
Yes it seems to have been at a virtual standstill for 2-3 months :(... Ive noticed barely any growth.. i hope it is just the seasonal thing and not a permanent...

Avital88
February 2nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
my pattern is exact the same as yours..just really hope to prevent a shed this spring :)

MonaLisa
February 2nd, 2012, 05:43 AM
Oh - forgot to add, also it grows most at summer, and also no shed :D

PorkChop - i strongly believe it's seasonal :)

Avital88 :grouphug:

Of the Fae
February 2nd, 2012, 06:38 AM
My growth is pretty much the same, but I've had this insane shed in december. Hair was everywhere, although I don't generally lose a lot of hair at all (I never see it anywhere, but that month it was all over the place)!
The cold does make my hair dry. It's freezing in Holland right now! So cold it hurts.

Stagecoach
February 2nd, 2012, 06:40 AM
My growth rate practically stops, and I shed a lot during the winter. I pretty much hate my hair at then end of winter, but i know I'll love it again in a few months so i try not to let it bother me.

Amber_Maiden
February 2nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
Slowed WAY down for me as well... I blame hormones.

Avital88
February 2nd, 2012, 06:52 AM
Another reason why i love Summertime:) growth is insane then

moon2dove
February 2nd, 2012, 07:03 AM
Yes it seems to have been at a virtual standstill for 2-3 months :(... Ive noticed barely any growth.. i hope it is just the seasonal thing and not a permanent...

Yes, ^^^This is me too! :(

I'm praying it's a winter/seasonal thing.

beachgirlla
February 2nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
Same here, may be because I joined this forum in Dec and I'm more hair crazy now :D

Helenae
February 2nd, 2012, 07:26 AM
My hair grows waaaaaaaay more quickly in the summer months of July to August.
Actually, my hair grows quicker when I'm in the sun (I go to Italy in July and August every year) which is odd because I'm not vitamin D deficient.

angelshair
February 2nd, 2012, 07:29 AM
It's soooo annoying. I'm trying to defy my winter stall with Monistat. Hope it works. Waist, waist, waist!!!

gabee
February 2nd, 2012, 07:32 AM
Its funny, I've noticed the opposite. It seems like my hair is growing much faster right now in winter than in the summer. It grew about a inch in January, while in the summer I was barely getting one centimeter. I did notice that I've been shedding more recently, but it seems to have decreased in the last few days.

However my growth rate may or may not be due to the fact that I started covering my hair in public about a month ago. At least now its protected from the elements :p

Ligeia_13
February 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
^ mine too! Although mine is a regular 1cm now, but it was less during the summer. Its odd because generally, I have my hair up during the summer (sweltering heat) and down during the winter to try and keep warmer :p

Mairéad
February 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
I've been shedding more this winter but my growth rate has stayed about the same.

jacqueline101
February 2nd, 2012, 11:59 AM
I noticed that too and summer it grew like wild fire.

HintOfMint
February 2nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
This is a "pattern" established from just last year (my first winter in a legitimately cold area) but my pattern is that it gets greasier faster in the winter, and my ends get trashed from washing too often and the dry, cold air. I'm hoping to prevent some of that this year.
I'm experimenting with a bit of dry shampoo (unsweetened cocoa powder) although it stains my scalp and looks funny, so there's a bit of a learning curve. I also may go back to cones, or at least regularly oiling or using shea butter. I don't want to have to chop off two inches come spring like last year.

spidermom
February 2nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
The last year that I kept records:

Summer/3 months = 2 inches
Fall = 2 inches.
Winter = 3/4 inch.
Spring = 1.25 inches.

I seem to shed most in the fall.

Nevvie
February 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
I seem to be in the minority that grows faster in the winter. Last year this time my hair was gaining an inch to an inch and a quarter or so a month. Spring time it was still right around an inch per month, sometimes a little under, sometimes over. I was all excited for summer as everyone said growth increased. Well, not for me :( Around June my growth slowed to 1/2 of an inch each month, sometimes less. I also shed like mad in late summer. Fall was a little better but not by much (usually between 1/2- 3/4 of an inch). I trimmed my growth every month back to the same specific place to get rid of damage and would measure what I'd trimmed, so it was a pretty accurate way of measuring too. I'm not as sure of my growth rate now as I'm micro-trimming a couple times a month rather than trimming all my growth to a specific point and measuring but it seems to be back around the inch a month mark. I suppose it may help that we don't have very dry winters here, the humidity is fairly high year round.

gthlvrmx
February 2nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
It slows down for me too. Every year, but that's ok. Summer is the growing time.

jeanniet
February 2nd, 2012, 02:47 PM
I had a bit of a stall in December/early January, but it seems to be picking up again. I usually have a fairly heavy shed in the fall, but late spring is my heaviest shed time.

AlabasterAlice
February 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM
My has slowed a lot, too. I had a giant shed about...oh...six-eight weeks ago? I felt miserable, and thought I was losing way too much hair. But since then the shedding has slowed a lot, but so has the growth! I blame the fact I was forced to go down on my thyroid meds but after this blood test tomorrow I will be able to start back up on them and I hope to see new growth follow. :)

sfgirl
February 2nd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Ugh I thought it was just me. My hair isn't even growing a half an inch a month.... time to go get some monistat!

tigereye
February 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Mine is the other way around. Massive growth in winter, stall in summer.
I think it has a lot to do with activity. I am one of those people who are always warm and never really cold, and I hate,hate,hate being too hot. That and the fact i can get sunburnt in the north of Scotland, means I tend to stay inside in summer, but do loads outside in the winter.

Kira94
February 2nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
I'm hoping you guys are right. I've only been here since end of September and my hair's been growing almost an inch a month, so I don't actually know how fast it grew last summer. It would be great if it does grow faster in the summer though, I hope it does! :D

KwaveT
February 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
I have noticed that my hair does not grow as fast as I want it to. It is still growing. I too am hoping my hair grows even faster. I track how my hair is growing in part by watching the bangs which are to the top of my lip now.