PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie with typing?

quintanion
February 1st, 2012, 11:06 PM
Hi there, I've just started trying to implement LHC tips to grow out my hair (goal of waist length) and could use some input on figuring out my type. My hair is probably somewhere on the "2" spectrum - it's straight but fluffy/frizzy when cut short, and gets progressively wavy as it grows out. Tends to curl if I ponytail or bun it. I measured ii for volume and would guess either M or C thickness. I'd love if anyone could weigh in and tell me what you think about the type to help me figure out a good care regimen. I've attached two photos taken in different lighting today - air dried and unbrushed. TIA for your help!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/DSC_0037.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/DSC_0031.jpg

novemberfoxtrot
February 1st, 2012, 11:20 PM
I won't try to type your hair. I can't type my own. But I wanted to ask if these were taken on the same day? The one on the left looks so much longer! wet? Really pretty, regardless!

joliherb
February 1st, 2012, 11:21 PM
Hi there, I've just started trying to implement LHC tips to grow out my hair (goal of waist length) and could use some input on figuring out my type. My hair is probably somewhere on the "2" spectrum - it's straight but fluffy/frizzy when cut short, and gets progressively wavy as it grows out. Tends to curl if I ponytail or bun it. I measured ii for volume and would guess either M or C thickness. I'd love if anyone could weigh in and tell me what you think about the type to help me figure out a good care regimen. I've attached two photos taken in different lighting today - air dried and unbrushed. TIA for your help!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/DSC_0037.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/DSC_0031.jpg

Welcome! I havent been on long either but I have learned a lot. I think that you could be a 2b. Is your hair really dry? I am thinking so because of the fly away/frizz. I started CO-washing (washing with conditioner only) and I'm having great results. I rinse my hair with cold water. Also oiling my hair with 2 drops of baby oil after I get out of the shower. It is working great for me. Hopefully it will for you!

Quixii
February 1st, 2012, 11:26 PM
It looks to me to be 2bish, maybe 2b/2c if it has a tendency to form some curls.

pepperminttea
February 1st, 2012, 11:41 PM
I can see an end curling here and there, I'd go 2C. :)

Kira94
February 2nd, 2012, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I'd say 2b or maybe 2c with some more moisture and care. :)
Your hair is really pretty! I love the color! :)

Nevvie
February 2nd, 2012, 01:33 AM
I agree with the others, looks like 2b/c. It sort of looks like it may be even curlier underneath, that's quite a bit of shrinkage if the first pic was while still damp.

torrilin
February 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM
I'd tend to go 2c because there's some corkscrew curl going on, but with better care it might be more a 3a. If it tends to be curlier when shorter, definitely 3a.

quintanion
February 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks for all your opinions! I'll split the difference and say 2b/2c for now. To answer a few questions, yes, both photos were taken on the same day with dry hair. I think they look so different because of the angle of the camera/way I have my head tilted. And yes to dryness/frizz/flyaways - it seems like I get tons of breakage just from things like gentle combing or twisting into a bun :(. For the past few years, I've done S/C daily or every other day, flat ironed about once a month (though have completely stopped about 6 months ago) and worn in a ponytail or loose (with lots of cones to tame the frizz).

Based on all the wonderful LHC info, I'll definitely starting trying to extend time between washes, keep heat-free and experiment with oiling and more protective styles.

Kiwiwi
February 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
I think you are 2C. It's definitaly about to curl :-p
I suggest reading about The Curly Girl method. It's not just for curlies, also wavies.
Moisture and/or oils would be good for your hair, I believe, to bring the waves/curls out more defined and happy ^_^

jojo
February 2nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Id say its a 2b/2c but more 2c than b if that makes sense!

Lissandria
February 3rd, 2012, 01:33 AM
I say 2c :)