PDA

View Full Version : SMT Treatment causing head numbness?

snowfaery
February 1st, 2012, 11:06 PM
Mixed up a new batch using VO5 White Tea Black Raspberry, Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel, and World Market 365 Organic Wildflower Amber Honey. I halved the honey because of frizz issues and rinsing issues. I had no issues with it, but I had a friend use it as well. She had used a previous SMT mixture with no issues, so didn't think there would be any this time.

Wrong. It dried her hair out, some to the point of breaking, and the bigger issue was where it had touched her scalp it caused her entire head to go numb much like when she has an allergy reaction to a shampoo she had tried before with pineapple juice in it that she is allergic to. Is this normal or what does she need to do instead? Any help is greatly appreciated.

the.fee.fairy
February 2nd, 2012, 12:20 AM
she could be allergic to the honey, or to some ingredient in the conditioner. If one of them has salicylic acid, it can cause a similar reaction to the reaction she has to pineapple.

Also, if one of them has fruit acids as an ingredient (i'm not a chemist, so i don't know what they call it in the sciencey world) it could be that the acids come from pineapple, or part of the pineapple family.

Or...maybe her hair just doesn't like the treatment. If i treat mine, it goes mental and will not detangle or behave until it's been washed again. I find that it feels sticky and dry.