PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new use for shed hair

Nae
February 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM
I thought you guys would enjoy this. If you get really bored you can make art out of your hair. Check this link out. http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2012/02/tree-leaves-made-of-stitched-and-knotted-human-hair/ Tree leaves made out of human hair. They are so pretty and delicate!! Enjoy.:D

Nannanej
February 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Wow, that is pretty amazing.

cooklaezo13
February 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. I can't even begin to imagine the dexterity and patience required to create such a delicate work of art.

moxamoll
February 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
Wow! :agape:

Amber_Maiden
February 1st, 2012, 03:48 PM
They are beautiful!!! wow! I don't have the patience for that!

heidi w.
February 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
That's a boatload of work to create! But they are beautiful. And clever.

Do most here know of the history of using real human hair in works of art, and as a memento in the death of a beloved? They used to braid a deceased's person's hair and frame it. Usually they made floral circles out of the hair. There's also the history of using it as jewellry making material, such as bracelets or I've even seen earrings.

Hit up an antique shop, and eventually you'll come across it.

heidi w.

nakmom
February 1st, 2012, 04:07 PM
That is so neat!

MissHair
February 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM
As a lover of art myself, this is absolutely AMAZING.

marena
February 1st, 2012, 04:27 PM
wow! I wish I could do that!

Moonlake
February 1st, 2012, 04:34 PM

styric
February 1st, 2012, 04:34 PM
http://www.spirithorsedesignbracelets.com/

People do it with horse hair as a memorial. I've seen a few with human hair as well

Synnovea
February 1st, 2012, 04:44 PM
Those are lovely.

I never did anything more with my shed hair other than make hair rats for vintage dos.

kitten1986
February 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have been collecting my shed hairs for rats...But these are beautiful!

rogue_butterfly
February 1st, 2012, 05:54 PM
Hmm... I wish I could think of something that gorgeous to do with shed hair... I find tons of it when I clean my carpets.

I love leaves... and artwork... if I had any idea where to even start or what sort of water soluble background to use, I would start playing with that concept to see what I could make out of it.

jacqueline101
February 1st, 2012, 06:12 PM
That's pretty and artful I like it.

einna
February 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM
The leaves are so beautiful! The horse hair jewlery to! Thanks for the links. :)

Silver Swan
February 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM
Oh my. WOW. The leaves are stunning and so intricate. The horse hair jewellery makes me want to start saving my shed hair and make something with it!

MaryMarx
February 2nd, 2012, 02:18 AM
I love them!

maria_asa
February 2nd, 2012, 03:19 AM
Those are really beautiful. I can't even imagine the patience that must go into making something like that. I would have given up long before it was done.

That's a boatload of work to create! But they are beautiful. And clever.

Do most here know of the history of using real human hair in works of art, and as a memento in the death of a beloved? They used to braid a deceased's person's hair and frame it. Usually they made floral circles out of the hair. There's also the history of using it as jewellry making material, such as bracelets or I've even seen earrings.

Hit up an antique shop, and eventually you'll come across it.

heidi w.

Jewelery made from human hair was quite common in Sweden during the 19th and early 20th century and a few people are still doing it. I have a cross made from my own and my mothers hair and I've also made one from my own hair as a gift for my mother.

Here are some examples of hair jewelery made from human hair:
http://www.myranshemslojd.nu/sv/H%C3%A5rarbetskatalog.html
http://www.sparr.dk/ (I absolutely love this wedding crown)

(Sorry, the first page is in Swedish but if you click the different links you should see more pictures.)

PorkChop
February 2nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
Haha wow! I don't usually do anything with my shed hair, although last year I went through a period of a few weeks where I kept a hairball on my desk at work which I added to whenever I plucked my hairbrush

fridgee
February 2nd, 2012, 05:50 AM
Those are absolutely beautiful!

When I'm in the shower I stick my shed hair to one of the bathroom tiles to stop it going down the drain and if I forget to clear it up after I get out DBF says 'you've left your hair art on the wall again!' He thinks it looks like abstract modern art! :D (he doesn't have a very high opinion of abstract art... so its not really a compliment! lol)

Nae
February 3rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I thought it was really delicate and pretty. Thanks for the other links everyone I really enjoyed looking at them. I like the older hair art as well. It is quite a sweet way to remember someone who has passed. I wonder why it ever went out of "style?"