PDA

View Full Version : For anyone who uses mousse, please tell me some things about it...

shikara
February 1st, 2012, 12:45 AM
Like, how do you use it, what purpose do you use it for, what brand works best for you and anything else you might want to share. Oh, and how hair friendly would you sat it can be?

Kitsu
February 1st, 2012, 02:34 AM
mousse confuses the heck outta me. I never got why you had to scrunch it in your hair. It always sticky and weird when used in the past.

A friend of mine in school used to put a load in her hands and flip her hair over her head and scrunch it in to her hair lifting the curls to get them coated. Then flip her head bak the right way round. I don't know why she did this.

hopefully someone with more know how will post thann me

kitten1986
February 1st, 2012, 03:59 AM
I hate how it squishes between your fingers... sorry I am no help I am not really too sure what it is meant to do I know mum used to put it in my hair when she did rag curls back in my ballet days

LocustSpawning
February 1st, 2012, 04:09 AM
I used to use a mousse by Aussie called something like a volume and conditioning milk. It smoothed down my hair without weighing it down as much as a serum and I could put it at my scalp without the roots feeling all greasy and build uppy. :) I turned my head upside down when damp and scrunched it through my hair, then left to air dry. I like how mousse is lightweight.

Also: There are hair mousses for all different purposes. You can put a curl mousse in your hair before curling it with a no heat method and it will stay put a lot longer. You can also use mousse to control frizz, add softness, or just to make your hair behave and stay in place! I think the idea is that it's easy to spread through hair, and are more ligtweight than serums etc. (In my experience anyways :) )

Neneka
February 1st, 2012, 05:03 AM
I used mousse for some time when my hair was shorter. I liked how it made my hair kind of fluffier and thicker looking. Then I noticed that it was a bit drying and stopped using it. Not as drying as shampoo or blow drying though IMHO.

Some bottles say that mousse can be combed out. I never did that. Even the thought scares me... That would surely damage hair more than mousse itself. I just carefully washed it out with a conditioner.

Now I really don't use it anymore. Just in some special occasions if I feel like it. I used Herbina. It's a Finnish brand. I think my mousse is for dyed and damaged hair. I thought it would be gentle and I really think it is too.

apekatt
February 1st, 2012, 05:05 AM
I have curly hair but it doesn't look good because of the frizz, so when my hair is damp I use a little mousse and let it air dry. So when it is dry, my curls looks defined and shiny :D

Jellybeanz
February 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM
I use Elasta QP Olive Oil mousse. It's alcohol free and really brings out the curls, but it doesn't have much hold.

Hollyfire3
February 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have curly hair but it doesn't look good because of the frizz, so when my hair is damp I use a little mousse and let it air dry. So when it is dry, my curls looks defined and shiny :D

this, the reason i use mousse, scared i damage it by brushing it when dry though with the mousse in, i detangle first though. i had to cut off 3 inches because of breakage from too much mouse and rough brushing...opps

chou
February 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM
I used mousse on and off for a short time to define my waves. It had a dramatic 80's effect on my curl pattern--I looked like I'd gotten a perm and there was sort of a wet-look thing going on. Great second day hair, too. After a couple of uses the build-up made my hair feel like straw but I don't think it had a long-lasting drying effect after I shampooed. I now use a light moisturizing gel daily but I would use the mousse again for a special occasion. My biggest problem was distributing the stuff through my hair. Big chunks of foam would stick to my hair unevenly. I much prefer the slipperyness of gel.

Gingerbear
February 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM
I have fine hair, so I use mousse on special occasions when I need some control, but don't want to weigh it down. I put it in wet hair, then blow dry. I don't use it regularly though, because it seems to dry out my hair and make it slightly stiff/prone to breakage. There may be some gentle conditioning or alcohol free versions out there--I just haven't looked.