PDA

View Full Version : Any others who prefer hair down? What's your length/type?

Katze
July 17th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I admit it, I am a long hair rebel.

I like my hair down. I like to show it off, I like to decorate MY world. Being healthy, looking good, makes ME feel good - why should I hide my hair! :D

As a daily bike commuter, I put it up or in a loose braid on the bike, and do the same when I'm out in the wind. But indoors, home or work, I take my hair down again.

Updos are still a big problem for me, and I suspect layers, taper, fuzzy/frizzy baby hairs at nape and crown, as well as fineness and old bleached ends, make me shy away from most updos - they are hard to accomplish, and they just look BAD.

My best hair is days 2-3 after washing when my crown hairs smooth down a bit and my waves come out.

And you? Anyone else willing to admit to doing the same?

julya
July 17th, 2008, 03:46 AM
My hair is only down while it's drying and on special occasions. It get way to tangled when I leave it down.

flapjack
July 17th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I wore my hair down 90% of the time until I joined this board. Now I wear it down about half the time, hahaha. Summer also plays a role in this because my back gets hot when it's down. But my hair is very well behaved so wearing it down has never been an issue. Plus, I'm used to watching out for the length, so it rarely gets caught in anything. My hand just automatically reaches to get it out of the way of whatever I'm doing that moment.

Faepirate
July 17th, 2008, 04:50 AM
None of the options are quite right for me (so I chose cheese!), but I probably wear my hair up about 50% of the time. I don't exactly like it down - usually I think it looks a mess! :o But I like to give my hair a break from updos.

My hair is waist-length and wurly. If I'm at home, it's often down, though not always, and I do wear it up if I'm going out anywhere (unless it's a special occasion and then I might wear it down if it's a good hair day and presentable enough!) The only day I wear my hair completely down all day would be wash day. Usually I put it up, take it down, put it up, take it down... depends on what I'm doing and how I feel. :)

Guenever
July 17th, 2008, 05:04 AM
1a/1b - finey - hair up at all times :wink:
I used to love my hair down, but now at TB it's just not practical.. My hair would attack everything around me if I hadn't got under "bun control" :P

So: "you people are crazy" :wigtongue

Duchess of Erat
July 17th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I voted I wear my hair up all the time!
I'm 1b and my hair is about waist length. I'm partly wearing it up all the time because it's summer and it's cooler that way. I used to wear it down on wash days (about 2x a week) to let it dry, but I stopped doing that (my ends are behaving much better because of it), so now it's either in a bun or a braid.

Katze
July 17th, 2008, 05:46 AM
ly. If I'm at home, it's often down, though not always, and I do wear it up if I'm going out anywhere (unless it's a special occasion and then I might wear it down if it's a good hair day and presentable enough!) The only day I wear my hair completely down all day would be wash day. Usually I put it up, take it down, put it up, take it down... depends on what I'm doing and how I feel. :)

Your way sounds similar to mine. I put it up to walk somewhere, then take it down when I get there. Up outside, down inside. Up, down, up, down.

Because my hair is so fine and I am sensitive about it looking thin and "ratty", having it down shows off its length and thickness. Braids tend to compress what hair I do have and are so thin, whereas buns show off my lovely dry, thin, orange bleached ends.

If we had summer here, maybe I'd want to put my hair up more. But now at about 12 degrees and rainy, I am grateful for the extra warmth my hair brings!

tiny_teesha
July 17th, 2008, 06:01 AM
my face looks better with my hair down, but you know i am not allowed to do so (wear it up challenge!)
I will in October and i believe i will wear it down a lot until it fades! :)

sedonia
July 17th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I have to admit that while I understand the practicality of keeping ultra long hair up while working, I can't imagine keeping it up all the time. So many of you have such beautiful hair! If/when mine gets that long, I will want to show it off regularly.

Siowiel
July 17th, 2008, 06:20 AM
When I started lurking on longhairpages, I put my hair up 100% of the time, only down when drying (once a week). I wore it down 90% of the time before.

Now, I am a bit more relaxed about it, I'd say I wear it up or in a braid 60% of the time when I go out, at home always in a braid (for sleeping, too).

I like my hair down, I like the look, but I like DIFFERENT looks, too, so I wouldn't let it down every single day.

hippiechick1976
July 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM
my hair is slightly below brastrap level and i wear it down for the most part:)

Curlsgirl
July 17th, 2008, 07:15 AM
There wasn't really an option for me so I voted cheese :cheese: however the answer is I really LIKE my hair better down but the summer heat and the fact it's getting longer and in the way more means I wear it more up than down when I go out. In the winter I am sure it will be down again some and when I'm home unless I am doing housework it's almost always down, just like feeling it and it's more comfortable.

happymommy
July 17th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I'm a downer. I was forced to wear buns every day for 10 years. Now I've vowed to wear it free for as long as I can keep it under control. At almost BSL that's going to be a while for my fine thin hair!

Haith
July 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM
The longer my hair gets, the more I love to wear it loose. I love how it makes me feel when its flowing around me. However, I put it up to protect it from the elements: when I'm riding my bike to work or outside on a windy day. Since I work outdoors, its up most of the time. But as soon as I get home-- I let down my hair.

paper
July 17th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I voted for cheese :p My hair and layers just got long enough to put up, I love it. And, my hair just came out of the mullet stage, so I can wear it down too, which I love. :cheese:

robinm
July 17th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I like having my hair down and wear it this way 99% of the time :)

bunnii
July 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I have my hair down most of the time it makes me feel good I love having my hair longer. When i'm indoors I wear it in a braid alot nowadays because it gets in my way all the time, and this summer i've been wearing it up more than I normally would because I hate sweat :lol: by up I mean just in a braid, i'm too lazy for much else hehe

lora410
July 17th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I voted wearing it down. I used to wear it up all the time, but my hair very much dislikes that and is actually better behaved down.

JessTheMess
July 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I love to wear my hair down! I love it wavy and crazy and wildwomany. I've been wearing it up since I found LHC but I've had it down since yesterday because I missed feeling it on my back and against my arms and having it frame my vision as I type on the keyboard :) It makes me feel like a woman to wear it down.

harley mama
July 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I wear my hair down most of the time. It really doesn't have anything to do with my length or hair type. I just enjoy having it loose. I have been wearing it up a bit more the past few weeks. It's been hot here and I keep it up if I am outside working in the yard or cleaning house.

ladystar
July 17th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I have to admit that while I understand the practicality of keeping ultra long hair up while working, I can't imagine keeping it up all the time. So many of you have such beautiful hair! If/when mine gets that long, I will want to show it off regularly.

I feel the same way about this, when it gets longer!!!

ladystar
July 17th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I wear my hair up for work because it gets caught on my chair. On the wk ends. I like to wear it loose most of the time !!!

AJoifulNoise
July 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I chose the "You people are crazy" option, though I don't think you're crazy at all! I wore my hair down nearly every day until I got past BSL. Then I started wearing it up. And, at this point, I wear it up nearly every day. It's just more practical for me.

forgetmenotak
July 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I love my hair down! It feels so good to be able to feel it on my back. I think long loose hair is so sexy. I was a former shorty for most of my life, so I'm really enjoying it down. I do, however, wear it up when I'm at work, or running. Just to keep it from sticking to my neck.

CherryPlum
July 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I wear my hair up most of the time, particularly now that it's summer, but also in winter. It's more practical for me to have my hair up, with bag straps, wind etc.
Plus, I love updos :)

I don't feel the need to show off my hair. I grow it for me, not for others.

Fireweed
July 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM
My hair is up in some kind of a bun or braid all of the time. It just seems to do better that way.

camara
July 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Iīm putting my hair in a braid or bun 99% of the time. When down, it is soo impractical. At classic lenght, it is attacking random things and innocent bystanders, plus it tends to catch on doorknobs and the like. So, I chose 'You people are crazy', though I donīt think you are!

Faith
July 17th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I wear my hair down the majority of the time even though at nearly classic length it does get in the way! I put it up in a scrunchy bun if I'm doing housework or outdoor chores and I braid it when I ride my motorcyle, but if I'm at work or out in public it's almost always down. Not because I'm trying to show it off or get attention (I actually hate it when someone comments on my hair!) but because I am terrible at updos and am too lazy to learn how to do them properly, lol! I'm not even sure I look better with it down, the last time I wore it to work in a bun I got a ton of compliments.

thankyousir74
July 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I can't stand my hair up even before I joined LHC. It's probably because it's so gosh darned hot and humid down here, I would always have it up in a ponytail. Nowadays my layers get in my face if I don't have it in a french braid, I only have it down so it air dries.

starla_zero
July 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I much prefer my hair down, suits me better and wearing it up is just uncomfortable most of the time

Riot Crrl
July 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
There wasn't really an option for me so I voted cheese :cheese: however the answer is I really LIKE my hair better down but the summer heat and the fact it's getting longer and in the way more means I wear it more up than down when I go out. In the winter I am sure it will be down again some and when I'm home unless I am doing housework it's almost always down, just like feeling it and it's more comfortable.

This! Except for the housework part.

The truth is my down hair is more flattering and I think that it is prettier. But it is more of a pain to wear it down, especially in summer.

I actually have been missing my down hair. :p I posted about it in the wurly and curly thread like a week ago.

ZaBasDa
July 17th, 2008, 06:42 PM
The humid summer is a killer; it's one of the main reasons I wear my hair up. Or I wear it up if it's greasy and I don't feel like washing it. Otherwise, I seem to always wear it down. I really suck at all updos and my hair doesn't behave too bad when it's down.

DecafJane
July 17th, 2008, 08:06 PM
My hair is a couple of inches past shoulders, and I wear it up all of the time - it is down for an hour or two in the evening, and that is it. :)

Tangles
July 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I voted cheese because my hair is at a weird length right now and doesn't look all that great down, so I'm forced to wear it up more than I would otherwise.

30isthenewblack
July 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I used to wear my hair down all the time but it was constantly breaking off so I have been making an active effort to wear my hair up or in a braid. I have curly hair & I put product in my hair so I like to give it a break & it means that I don't have to wash it as often. I've intertwined a ribbon through a side braid today :)

Riot Crrl
July 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I used to wear my hair down all the time but it was constantly breaking off so I have been making an active effort to wear my hear up or in a braid. I have curly hair & I put product in my hair so I like to give it a break & it means that I don't have to wash it as often. I've intertwined a ribbon through a side braid today :)

There is that too. When it's up I don't need any stylers and I can oil it more heavily, so it's like a mini-deep-treatment I can wear wherever I go.

I still like it better down, but for various reasons I don't do that all the time, especially lately.

30isthenewblack
July 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
There is that too. When it's up I don't need any stylers and I can oil it more heavily, so it's like a mini-deep-treatment I can wear wherever I go.

I still like it better down, but for various reasons I don't do that all the time, especially lately.

I definitely prefer my hair down but it's an awkward length at the moment. It's winter at the moment in Australia and I don't like the way my hair hangs over my large jackets and coats. Hopefully, by the time it reaches summer, it will be at a nicer and more manageable length.

Tressie
July 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Like many of you, I prefer my hair down, but at tailbone length it's not practical if I'm going to be working around the house. So, I usually wear my hair in a high ponytail with the ends looped under unless it's drying. I wear my hair down to church usually and when I'm going out unless it's really hot like it is now here in the southern US. I have been inspired to try some buns but they seem hard to secure. Probably it's my technique LOL!:p

Aronomy
July 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I wear my hair down 99% of the time. I loooove the way it looks surrounding my face and down my back :).

Darkhorse1
July 17th, 2008, 10:21 PM
The whole reason I have long hair is because I love the feeling of it. I put it up for work and on hot days--when doing practical things---actually, I just did some cleaning in my house and had it down with just the bangs I'm growing out clipped back.

Laughter
July 18th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I chose the "too messy" option. :) My hair is very set in its ways, lol, and it's usually too curly to put up easily. Even if I want to pull it back into a pony-tail, I wind up spending a lot of time trying to coax down some of the curls around my head.

I'm not one of the curlies who doesn't comb though (my hair wound up one giant snarl when I tried that, unfortunately...) so in between washes after I've combed through it, and it's a little more relaxed, I do wear it up then. And I've been wearing it up lot more this summer, because it's been so hot.

But when I'm out in public, I almost always have my hair down, or at least most of it down. It's long enough that I usually pull back the front so that it doesn't get in my way. :)

-Laughter

AprilElf
July 18th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I chose the cheese.
This is because I love to wear my hair down - round here the length is unusual and makes me feel special. :o And now that I'm learning how to keep my hair in better condition and to make it behave better than it used to, I'd love to show it off. But it's really impractical, especially at work.
So I'll just make do with fancy updos and braids most of the time! ;)

Loreyanne_H
July 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I use to wear my hair up. letting it down creates insolvible tangles...

MsBubbles
July 18th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I have been wearing it down so far in my long hair quest, but now the longest layer is at 24" and the other layers make it straggly in the back I think I am going to try to start wearing it up. However, I look awful with it up because I'm 5 ft 10 with a tiny head, wide hips and flatter than flat hair on my crown. It looks like I don't have a head. I wore my hair up to work today for the first time really, ever, and a coworker came in and looked at me with his head on one side and said "You have a different face today" (he is from India :) but I think I know what he meant!).

I have been pining over the lengths of so many of the other replies on this thread, that are 28" and longer, thinking "I'd love to have the problem of my hair catching on a door knob". Right now I'd have to be walking on my knees for that to happen :D.

I have taken recently to throwing a jaw clip in to my hair when in my car in this Georgia heat, because my air conditioning is on the fritz and starts to blow out hot air into my face at stop lights. And then I take it out again when I'm at home/office. Otherwise my thin, flat, stringy hair sticks to my face and neck.

NurseMama
July 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I realize that although I really like the look of my hair down, I often put it up because the feel of it down just starts to annoy me. Summer?! Thick heavy hair on my neck? ew.

I work with a nurse who has waist length hair that she keeps down all of the time at work. ew. There are some things that I do at work where it would not be hygenic (for me or the patient) if my hair ended up in the mix.

All that said, I voted that my hair looked too messy in an updo because I have layers that I am growing out that just are not playing well with the length.

PetiteHatter
July 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I like my hair down, instead of up

nutsenmai
July 19th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I would absolutely love to wear my hair down more, but due to its length now and the fact that it mats :!: I end up wearing it up the majority of the time. :(

winter_star
July 19th, 2008, 06:41 AM
My hair is down about 90% of the time too. I only put it up on occassions because when I do I'm very fussy and can't keep any one hairstyle in for longer than a few hours. I love to wear my hair long and flowing.. I like to show it off!:cheese:

Just_Isabel
July 19th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I chose Yes, because my hair's too short to really put up because while I could (and can and do sometimes) put my hair up, I can't do anything fancy, just a cinnamon bun or a half up (I could get it into a ponytail but it doesn't look good) and that gets very boring very soon.
My hair is at shoulder length and curly.

janaana
July 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I chose "You people are crazy, I wear my hair up all the time!" although I really don't think other people are crazy to wear it down; I love to see other people wearing their nice long hair loose and would like to wear mine down now and then if it were better behaved and looked nice like that.

I seem to have hairs of all different types, textures and degree of curl and they seem to fight each other when they are down and end up in a terible mess, so I'd be crazy to deliberately wear my hair out.

It also needs to be restrained in public because of its antisocial beahviour. On Tuesday this week, it broke its way out of the large claw clip it was tied up in and I didn't have anything else suitable to tie it back with. During the day, it tried to strangle me, lassoed anyone who came close enough, made a phonecall by wrapping itself round the handset and pulling it over the phone, attempted to steal some paperclips from work and shoplift a packet of shirt buttons, attached me to any chair I sat on in addition to several doors and the handrail on the stairs, tried to grab lighted cigarettes off passers by and generally made me feel like I was responsible for a hyperactive toddler. I was completely exhausted by the time I got home.

I now have a couple of hairbands attached to my house keys so I can't leave home without them.

Tangles
July 19th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I work with a nurse who has waist length hair that she keeps down all of the time at work. ew. There are some things that I do at work where it would not be hygenic (for me or the patient) if my hair ended up in the mix.

That's absolutely disgusting!

GlassEyes
July 19th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I cycle between thinking my hair looks better up and thinking it looks better down. According to my friends, I look a lot different either way, though one of my friends has said that no matter how I wear it, it suits me. :shrug:

I have self-esteem issues though, so I'll normally start thinking one way looks worse than the other for a time, then switch, then think I look ugly no matter what so I won't give a ****. Most of the itme my hair is up though, at least in the summer.

Granted, 'up' for me is a ponytail, a small one at that. xD

Euphony
July 19th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I prefer my hair down, but it only gets to come out and play late in the evenings and on the occasional once a week to once every two weeks kind of thing. It's just too long to wear it down mostly, so it's confined most of the time.

RavennaNight
July 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I prefer to enjoy my hair down. When I wear it up, it's for practicality at work only. My hair is medium thickness, and slightly wavy but mostly straight. Its only BSL, so I don't know if my preferences will change as I grow. I can't imagine it being up all the time though. I like to show off length, not hide it all the time.

angelic
July 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Unless I am working at my serving job, I wear my hair down. I don't like wearing my hair tied back or in an updo, and my hair is fairly tangle free so I don't have problems when I wear it down. LOL, I can't remember what my hairtype is right now. 1b/ii/m I believe.

HeavenlyTresses
July 20th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Mine is down 90% of the time, usually in a half up. When it's hot it goes in a braid and buns only last for a couple of hours before they need to come out because the weight gives me a headache. I tend to automatically wrap it around my arm when it need to be out of the way, like getting in and out of the car. People tend to look at me strange when I'm in the car alone because I lay my hair over into the passenger seat :).

Amoretti
July 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Mine is always up because it gets in the way of everything when it's down. I used to always wear it down until I hit tailbone and then found it so hard to have it down all the time.

I never wore a bun until then. LOL. Now it's never down.

I still sometimes wish I could wear it down but it's just not practical with a 3 year old and housework/job, etc. I miss those days of wearing it down and feeling free though.

Hello-Kitty
July 20th, 2008, 12:31 PM
i wear my hair down about 80% of the time
i love my hair and want to show it off
my hairs very long , down to my bum as seen on my picture
x

aprilmay
July 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I mostly wear my hair down. DD3 always tells me, I want your hair down, if it isn't. I do like nape of the neck ponytails and buns when it is hot, I happen to exercise or I am cooking or washing dishes. I like the way my hair feels surrounding me.

aprilmay
July 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
My hair is tailbone length

sexyjacksparrow
July 20th, 2008, 01:22 PM
The top three answers all apply to me really - it's too short to do any interesting updos and I do have annoying layers. But most of all I just think I look nicer with my hair down - learning to embrace my curls!!

Kerry xx

spidermom
July 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I have to internally laugh at the phrase "showing it off" because most people aren't much interested in hair and many dislike long hair. I mostly wear mine down at home during times when I can watch out for it and personally enjoy it. Otherwise it's up and out of the way.

Gladtobemom
July 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
My ends just get too thrashed if I wear my hair down and loose.

down in a braid isn't too bad, especially if I oil the tassel well.

But frankly, a weightless infinity bun or gibralter bun is better.

And of course there's the scrunchy bun, easiest bun in the world.

aprilmay
July 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I think up and down both have their place. I like both, but seem to have my hair down more.

Chromis
July 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
My hair attacks me when left down, esp if not at least braided. I don't often wear it loose and it takes a long time to detangle it after such adventures.

MsBubbles
July 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I have to internally laugh at the phrase "showing it off" because most people aren't much interested in hair and many dislike long hair.

Not sure my hair is really show-off-worthy, and 'showing off' is not a phrase I would use, either. However, I notice that a heck of a lot more people show interest in me purely from a looks point of view now that I have long(er) hair. When it was shoulder-length I faded into the scenery :). I know these people aren't looking at me thinking 'what a wonderful, caring personality that woman must have' all of a sudden, and that it's purely from a looks perspective, but I do indeed notice a huge increase in apparent interest in my hair! (i.e., it's not like I suddenly developed the body of a Hollywood Starlet or anything :D).

rhubarbarin
July 22nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I feel ugly without my hair down. It doesn't help that my boyfriend hates to see it up!

I just haven't been good about wearing it up. I NEED to though, I have a lot of breakage. Urgh.

Mine is only between APL and bra-band, depending on the weather. I don't know how much will change as it gets longer. It was really getting in my way when it was at mid-back before my last big cut, but I was still wearing it down a lot.

have to internally laugh at the phrase "showing it off" because most people aren't much interested in hair and many dislike long hair. I mostly wear mine down at home during times when I can watch out for it and personally enjoy it. Otherwise it's up and out of the way.

It may be true that a lot of people aren't into long hair. Mine isn't what I consider long since joining LHC, but it's long by normal standards and I get a ton of compliments on it (someone says something nice about my hair at least daily). Plus I really do think having it around my face is more flattering, and my boyfriend sees it as a primary sexual characteristic.. it is definately a vanity issue for me. Much like I like to wear pants that flatter my butt, I just feel prettier with my hair down.

LadyMoon11
July 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
I like to wear my hair down whenever possible.
I do not have too much trouble with tangles, and I enjoy wearing my hair down.
I put it up for most of the summer now that it is longer. I am trying to learn to do more updos, so I CAN wear it up more.

cuddledumplin
July 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
I wear my hair down quite a lot (maybe 60% of the time). I like showing it off too.

nessthing
July 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'm a constant down-er for a few reasons. One, I'm a guy, so my "up" styles are pretty much limited to braids and uhhh... yeah, braids. Also, I'm incredibly vain and I hate meeting new people and not having awesome hair. Braids just aren't "awesome hair" yet to me.

Marcipangris
July 23rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
I always wear it down in public; it looks really bad up and 100% better down. I only wear it up when I'm exercising and lifting free weights.

Elanor
July 23rd, 2008, 04:38 AM
I have layers and I like wearing my hair down. In the summer I've been wearing it up to protect it, but the only updos that don't look messy are a ponytail and a braided ponytail.

longhairedfairy
July 23rd, 2008, 07:47 AM
I usually wear my hair up for convenience :)

aprilmay
July 23rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
I like to wear it up when it is hot out.

emeraldfaery
July 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I wore it down my whole life because I was embarassed of my sticking out ears. When I got over that at around 14 I wore it up and really got used to wearing it up from then on. Now it seems, when I try to wear it down it doesn't look good and I can't stand the feeling for too long. I'm 1b/M/ii and a little past waist.

Hatsumomo
July 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
I like to wear mine down when it's straightened.

Lixie
July 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
I went for the cheese option. I wear my hair up maybe 90% of the time, I love wearing it down but often it's just not practical. I compensate by messing about with loose pieces hanging from my updos. :D

Oh, and my hair is aaaalmost classic length, 1c/M/ii and rather tangle prone/likes to eat people.

WritingPrincess
July 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Since finishing my challenge to wear my hair up for 6 months, I've been wearing it down ever since. :D

bohemian
July 27th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I find I wear my hair down about 80% of the time. My hair is in layers so it takes a while to get my hair to look how I want in an updo (braids look funny with bits sticking out). Im going to keep the layers and hope that when my hair gets longer that it will be easier to braid and do updos suggested on this site!

mitabird
July 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I wear my hair up 90% of the time. It's easier to deal with that way. It's currently a little passed tail bone length right now.

inertia
July 28th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Generally I prefer my hair down when I'm going out. My hair is heavily layered with the shortest layers around SL and the bottom just below my waist. I suspect it's not a popular look on this forum but I had the layers cut into my one-length hair on purpose to make it easier to do fashionable styles (I'm in Tokyo where layers are popular) and make the weight more bearable. My hair type is M/C and iii, and I feel more comfortable when it's thinned out.

Since it's summer and I don't have air conditioning, I've been wearing my hair in buns or French twists nearly constantly to keep it off my neck. It's a million times easier to make a bun or twist when my hair is thinned. I usually wear it up when I'm at home to get it out of the way. But when the weather is cooler, I'll start wearing it down again when I go out.

zen_oven
July 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM
My hair is just too short and too layered to wear it up at the moment, otherwise I'd be rockin' an updo, or at least have it half-up. I'm envious of all the lovely hair toys I see on the LCH forums. I can't wait to be able to use Ketylo hair sticks!

rainkloud
August 11th, 2008, 07:07 AM
i think the main reason i prefer my hair down is purely physical. i don't have the thickest hair in the world...but it is heavy. wearing an updo all day is a surefire way to end up with a neck or shoulder ache...
i tend to wear my hair in dual braids (one on top of the other...will have to post a pic someday) during my workday..then let it down after work. :)

Gray
September 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I've almost always worn my hair down, and at it's longest I could tuck it into my hip-hugger jeans. Right now it's pretty short, and I have to wear it up everyday for work. So wearing it down on my off days is fun, and I don't think it's too damaging.

Angelica
September 9th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I only wear my hair up because it is so fine and thin. I don't personally believe it is better for the hair to be up, although I respect that I am in the minority here. I would love nothing better than to wear it down all the time, or at the most in a ponytail.

frodolaughs
September 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I voted for cheese. I love wearing my hair down, but it's almost always up in order to keep it out of the way. It comes down for special occasions.

twilight_faerie
September 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I voted for cheese. I love wearing my hair down, but it's almost always up in order to keep it out of the way. It comes down for special occasions.

I'm with you on this one. I love the way my hair looks when it's down, but it gets in my way too much to keep it that way very often. So my hair almost always ends up in an updo by the end of the day.

Kirin
September 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
No option for me sadly. My hair is very fine and thin, putting it up/back makes me look BALD. No thank you. Makes me look very old and dowdy, not a look i'm going for thanks lol.

I put it up only if i'm doing some form of labor.

VikingJarl
September 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Until I found LHC mine was down 99% of the time. I wondered why it never got any longer! Now I have it in a bun, ponytail or braid at work and often in the evenings too. I tend to wear it down at the weekends or anytime I am out with friends.

I must be doing something right - it's grown 2 inches in the last three months!

Xanthippe
September 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I wear my hair up or braided most of the time.

It's 2b/2c/M/ii. My ponytail circumference is about 2.75 inches and my hair is between hip and tailbone.

It gets in the way sometimes when I wear it down plus I like the dramatic effect when I do choose to wear it down for special occasions and people have never seen it before.

kidari
February 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Ask me this when I was a new around here and I would have said I liked it down at least 50% of the time because I keep layers in my hair for the purpose of having it styled to wear down but now I actually prefer wearing it up 90% of the time or more. I love how it's out of the way and I don't have to worry about fussing with it. So I voted cheese... I prefer wearing it up but I like the option to wear it down and have it look nice and not get in my way. My hair is MBL, layered, straight with some body to it.

pink.sara
February 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I've always worn mine down the majority of the time, whether it was classic or shoulder length. If you can't enjoy it why bother growing it?!

Copasetic
February 5th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I went this cheese because my preference wasn't listed. I prefer to have my hair down, but I wear it up all the time because I am lazy, and my hair doesn't always cooperate enough to wear it down. I really hate most updos though. Especially buns even though I wear them all the time.

Neneka
February 7th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Too short to put up. I can't wait to use hairsticks and all my pretties again...

Kelikea
February 7th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I would prefer to wear it down, but this is just not very doable at work. So, it gets to stay down on days off or shopping trips, if I'm not doing a deep treatment or house cleaning:)

Amber_Maiden
February 7th, 2012, 06:42 AM
It's about 50/50 with me. Down at home and when I sleep, up when I'm out.

Avital88
February 7th, 2012, 06:49 AM
i just decided yesterday that im gonna wear it up for a while now to see if there is any improvement in health.
I want to wear it mostly down in summer(in the evening, in the day thats too hot) so i wear it up now in order that it will look better down in a few months

MonaLisa
February 7th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I'm with the majority here! I could and should put it up more but I simply prefer it free and down :)

StormVixen
February 7th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I prefer to wear my hair loose but I *have* to put it up at work. If its been worn up, I need to wait until after its wetted again to wear it down because my curls get smooshed in up-dos.

HairCareJunkie
February 7th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I prefer to wear my hair down, as I find it much more attractive.

Now I don't really have a choice as my hair reaches an inch or so below chin, so not long enough.

I'm a newbie with putting my hair up, so only a simple braid or pony tail for me...

pepperminttea
February 7th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I wear my hair up about 80% of the the time these days, but I voted cheese. I wear it up on oily days, and when it's just more practical to do so (ie. cooking), but if it's not too oily and the weather's right, I do like to wear it down. :shrug: I like it both ways, but it's normally outside factors that make the decision for me.

BBdck1
February 14th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Before LHC I wear my hair down 99.9% of the time. After LHC (about a week ago), I wear my hair down 70%. I don't wear my hair up too often because I layers and not sure how to put it up. Another big reason is that my scalp hurt a little after my hair has been up for a few hours (usually with a hair tie). Is this normal? The bun is not tight.

raveness13
February 14th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I wear my BSL, slightly wavy hair up all the time. It turns into a messy, frizzy tangle when I wear it down. So I voted crazy, but I don't think wearing hair down is crazy, just on me.

Rhodugune
February 14th, 2012, 05:08 AM
I'm almost at classic and since I joined LHC six months ago, I've been takeing the time to put my hair up because I want to grow it even longer and I want to take care of it in the best way I can and having it down alot causes it to tangle it to much.

mira-chan
February 14th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I wear it up all the time. My length is around classic, so I cans it on it.
I wore my hair up or at least in a braid or ponytail as soon as it could be pulled into one. I just don't like wearing it down in general.

lapushka
February 14th, 2012, 03:26 PM
My hair's always up except on wash day, when it's down to dry and in a half-up when dry. It just gets in my way / face otherwise.

TitaniaOfFairys
February 14th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I love to wear my hair down, and I don't think it's a rebellious thing to do, or something I should be ashamed of, or feel that I'm "guilty". It's my hair and my choice. I feel, what is the point of having long hair, if I can't enjoy it, or feel bad every moment? I only speak about myself of course, if you enjoy your hair in a bun or updo every day, then it is great. It's just not for me.
I hate buns on myself (but love them on others, they can be really nice). It is just not the hair style that suits my personality. However I wear my hair in braids a lot (maybe 50% of time), but I count it as "down" style. I've never had any damage from wearing it down, of course it gets tangles (I have fine hair), but I comb my hair few times a day, and it's okay.

LoversLullaby
February 15th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I'm a rebel here ;)
I really exclusively wear my hair down or in a half up. I COULD wear it up everyday, but I choose not to. I know it might be better for the hair to wear it up in a protective updo, but my self confidence is greatly boosted by having my hair down, because I feel prettier. If it keeps me from getting to extreme lengths, so be it. I'd rather have it down :D
For the record, I have 2b/M/C/iii hair at BSL.

Lightningfury
February 15th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I wear my hair down a lot. I'm not very good with up dos. If it has to go up, too hot or frizzy, I keep two claw clips and twist it up in those or braid it.

Charlotte:)
February 15th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I only wear my hair up when it is greasy (3rd and 4th days after washing), because I think it looks prettier down, and I grew it out to be seen :) It is 1a/1b / F / ii at about hip-length. It's also fine and slippery enough to not tangle very much :)

catamonica
February 15th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I wear my hair up. On weekends I wear it down. My hair went from waist to hip.. because I
wear it up. It promtes growth.

Ligeia_13
February 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I only really have my hair up when I'm at home. Its always down when I'm out and about :) and I have to agree with sedonia, if my hair ever gets to waist, I'm going to flaunt it like there's no tomorrow :D

Bianca
February 17th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I prefer to wear mine down. Mostly because I look better like that, than with it pulled away from my face. My hair is almost bsl, so not that long yet. I could imagine I would have to keep it up more when it gets longer :)

gothiccat
February 17th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I only wear my hair up if I'm doing something and it will get in the way otherwise I prefer to wear it down. I only get compliments on it when it's down :)

Iolanthe13
February 17th, 2012, 05:36 PM
My hair isn't terribly long, just bra strap length or so,, but I'm lazy and don't mind if it gets a little messy - so I leave it down but pin it up around the crown (sort of Bardot-inspired, but lazier).

WaimeaWahine
February 17th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Down for me, especially in Winter around the house. It keeps me really warm. :)

It can be braided, sock-bunned, or up in a pony at this length, but I like the waves it's begun to take on. Plus, I've overweight with thin hair so when my hair is pulled back it emphasizes unflattering features on me.

JellyBene
February 18th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I get more damage from having it in updos than having it down!

hairgoals
February 20th, 2012, 10:48 AM

elfgirl
February 20th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I currently wear it up about 90% of the time. I'll have it down if I'm doing something low key with friends, or relaxing at home, but otherwise it's generally up. It's somewhere between MBL and on the way to waist, not sure where exactly. My regular everyday bun and the Orchid Bun are my current favourites as far as buns go...am working on learning more (or rather, getting them to work for my hair) :P :)

Eniratak
February 20th, 2012, 11:27 AM
My hair is at thigh length and I wear my hair down most of the time. I look better with it down and I like having it down. So.

Freyariane
February 20th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I chose "I could put my hair up more, but choose not to - I just like it down!"

I prefer my hair down... I think it's prettier! But I also wear it up sometimes.

NormaJean
February 20th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I have to wear my hair down to cover my neck. Lichen simplex chronicus is ugly stuff and it covers most of one side of my neck.

WaitingSoLong
February 21st, 2012, 12:58 PM
Ahhh. Sigh. This is my troublesome issue.

I prefer my hair down but it is simply too long to be down but I like it long so I won't cut back to the length I can more easily wear down.

I voted for cheese.

Basically, I wear it down when it is practical to do so (going to be sedentary and out...movies, dinner theater, visiting friends, sometimes at church) but at home it is 99% up. We have a wood stove and who the heck wants to load a stove with your hair loose? Plus I cook a lot. Plus I am outside a lot and the wind wreaks (sp?) havoc on my loose hair.

So do seatbelts.

I freakin' hate seatbelts!

Wearing it down for me is usually a braid or multi-secured ponytail. Wearing it loose...maybe once a month, more like once every other month.

If I could just bring myself to trim back to waist...I wore it down pretty much all the time then.

Alix
February 21st, 2012, 01:04 PM
I wear it whatever I feel like wearing it? I don't wear it up to promote growth or anything. It's in some form of a braid a lot because that's what I'm good at. But I wear it down often too.
So maybe 50/50? Braids/down?

Fairytale
February 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Show your beautiful lengths !! :)

I put it up only now for cooking, cleaning and just days I want to practice
my updos,braids.

TeaGarden
February 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM
I love up-dos, but I feel like having my hair down shows off it off more. I love my waves, I don't want to hide them all the time! :)

kmoc123
February 22nd, 2012, 07:38 PM
My hair is mid rear end and I wear it down nearly all of the time! I put it up when I am at home cleaning house and when I go to bed...I like the comments I get with it down...

zombi
February 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
If I am at work, my hair is up -- ICU nursing and long hair down? I don't think so. Not EVER.

At home, it's a toss-up. A lot of the time I wear mine down, a lot of the time I don't. In summer, I wear it up because it's too hot. In winter, I wear it down because I am cold. It's probably 50/50 just at different times!

My hair is wavy and my habits stayed the same so far at various lengths

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
Right now, my hair's just too short to put up in any kind of an updo. I actually prefer it up, but I'd probably like it down if it didn't get itself into so much mischief!!

~maborosi~

cocoahair
February 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
I only wear my hair up when working out ,all other times I wear my hair down.I prefer it that way.