PDA

View Full Version : Caring for hairsticks

unknown
January 31st, 2012, 11:07 AM
I finally ordered some wooden hairsticks and would appreciate some help on how to care for them :)
Wood should probably not get in touch with water but I'm still wondering, what if it rains outside or if my hair is damp? And how will oil/sebum affect them?

littleizz
January 31st, 2012, 11:11 AM
Good start! Water = bad, oil = good/okay/not terrible depending on what kind and how much. I would never put a wooden stick in damp hair, but I'm sure running to your car in the rain would be fine.

Don't leave them in direct sunlight or on top of a radiator - anything that would significantly dry it out.

Every once in a while, if you feel like it's been under the weather, you can rub it down with a natural chapstick or balm to help protect it. I use Burt's Bees beeswax lip balm you get in the little tin :)

styric
January 31st, 2012, 11:21 AM
I oil my unfinished (haven't been cured with a rub, laquer or oil) sticks from Ukraine with a lavender massage oil I have (mix of jojoba, camellia and sweet almond oil) when they're looking dry.. The finished sticks I use burts bees lip balm as well, or a swipe of lemony flutter. Just be warned, oiling unfinished sticks usually darkens them significantly.

styric
January 31st, 2012, 11:22 AM
Forgot to add, it's a light (fingertip) smear of oil, wait five minutes and wipe off. If you soak them in oil they're going to bleed oil and will warp. A well oiled stick, or a finished one shouldn't have an issue with ambient humidity but damp hair is a no