PDA

View Full Version : So, it ate my vacuum cleaner

Celticfreefall
January 31st, 2012, 12:07 AM
As I was vacuuming the floor tonight, my machine started to make an awful noise. I figured this meant it was full, but nope. Come to find out, yeah...

Apparently my Hoover can't repel hair of this magnitude. I really wish I could blame it on the dog, but, my god it was all my hair wrapped around the rollers that did it. It made me wonder how many of our machines have died slow, painful deaths because of long hair.

RapunzelKat
January 31st, 2012, 01:08 AM
My vacuum has suffered this same thing... :p I have to clean the brush roller (with a seam ripper! :eek: Can't get through the hair otherwise), or it stops working entirely. Every time I clean it, I look at the resultant wad of hair and think HOW AM I NOT BALD??? :bigeyes: It's seriously a lot of hair... :brainbleach:

Achyvi
January 31st, 2012, 02:20 AM
I just de-haired my vacuum! It's an event for sure. Your pile is impressively horrifying. :o
Everyone I have either visited or lived with complains about the work that I give their vacuums. Sorry guys... that's why I brush my hair outside now when I am not in my own home. How in the world can one person lose so much hair?!

Bagginslover
January 31st, 2012, 02:25 AM
My mum used to complain about this a lot too! She'd have to cut my hair off the rollers at least once a month, and my hair isn't that long! In the end, I only brushed my hair in one place, then brushed the carpet before hoovering to pick up most of the hairs ;)

jacqueline101
January 31st, 2012, 02:34 AM
I've never clogged up the vacuum with hair but I will keep this in mind when my hair gets longer.

luxepiggy
January 31st, 2012, 02:48 AM
You need a Dyson with a removable brush bar! I have the DC24 All Floor and it's amazing - the entire brushroller detaches completely from the vacuum, so you just pop it out, carry it over to the trash, and cut off the hair. It even has little grooves to make it easy to work the tip of the scissors underneath the wrapped-around hairs (^(oo)^)v

Aliantha
January 31st, 2012, 06:09 AM
My vacuum has suffered this same thing... :p I have to clean the brush roller (with a seam ripper! :eek: Can't get through the hair otherwise), or it stops working entirely. Every time I clean it, I look at the resultant wad of hair and think HOW AM I NOT BALD??? :bigeyes: It's seriously a lot of hair... :brainbleach:
Wow, I'm glad you posted this - I hadn't thought of using a seam ripper. I just rip at the mat with scissors and then pull...and pull...and pull to get all those long strands off the brush.

Messyhair
January 31st, 2012, 06:20 AM
Ah, so I'm not the only one that deals with this. Our vaccum constantly makes a burning smell that I know is caused by my hair. Yum.

HairStickler
February 1st, 2012, 09:24 PM
Celticfreefall, been there, done that! :) I have to clean it out after vacuuming every time so that it does not build up under the critical moving parts (the belt and the pieces that stick out on either end of the roller).

Eboshi
February 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM
:shocked: I've had to cut hair from my vacuum cleaner as well. It's a wonder we still have hair at all given what is found there.

rogue_butterfly
February 1st, 2012, 11:20 PM
Wow.

I go over my carpet in my bedroom with a brush, occasionally... picks up a lot of the excess to save the vacuum some serious work.

I highly suggest it. Nail brushes are great but even a hairbrush will pick up a lot of the long hairs that you can't even see are on the carpet... interesting, how well they manage to blend in.

Cecalv
February 2nd, 2012, 03:09 AM
I suddenly feel so happy that I havnt got any carpets.. got tile floors in every room xD but rinsing trough the broom is a hell of a job considering I have waist long hair and my bf has BSL hair... some days I'm sure I'm going bald because of the amount of hair I find on the floor, in the washer, in my clothes and in the shower xD