PDA

View Full Version : Lush dry shampoo alternative...

serin blackwood
January 30th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I was fooling around with some ideas for an "airing powder" or dry shampoo based on easily obtainable ingredients like cocoa powder, corn starch, EO's etc. when I remembered a LUSH body powder I have, that's quite nice.

On a whim I checked the ingredients in "Silky Underwear" :

QUANTITATIVE INGREDIENTS
Cornstarch (Zea mays), Kaolin, Fair Trade Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Magnesium Carbonate, Perfume, Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum officinale), Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides), *Linalool.

There doesn't seem to be anything in there bad for hair, in fact it's all pretty good! So I tried it and it's very nice, a lot like any other cornstarch based dry shampoo, but felt silky, and left my hair full and shiney plus it smells wonderful. The only negative I can see is that it is white, which shows up in dark hair more than say, a cocoa powder based dust.
It also may have a bit too much oil for some, I guess. I didn't want it to absorb too much oil, since I am NW and want to keep my sebum (I don't produce much), so I did not rub the powder into my scalp, just sort of brushed it through my hair.
I like the effect, my hair feels refreshed, and I will keep using it, but will also try some other experiments as well.

Cheers,
Serin

LittleOrca
January 30th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I got some of this stuff too. It's pretty nice and has a good smell so long as you don't accidentally put too much of it in your hair. :) Then my hair turns white and I have to shower to get it all out. The brush wont help! lol

serin blackwood
January 31st, 2012, 01:26 PM
Well, my hair is getting pretty grey, so the white powder blends in. I'm glad someone else tried it, though! I liked the ingredients better than Lush's other body powders and even their dry shampoo, which has talc and a lot of citrus...not keen on citrus-y smells :o