PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of having thin hair?

Red Rapunzel
January 30th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hail to all the thin-haired maidens out there in TLHC! We have bemoaned our immutable thin-haired status long enough! It is time for us to declare the benefits that come with having thin hair (and there are benefits). I will name one advantage that I can think of: My thigh-length hair can be secured in a knot atop my head with one little clip. I can think of three other pluses that come with thin hair, but would like to see your answers first. What do you find good about having thin hair? :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Madora
January 30th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I'd say shampooing would be a lot easier! Not to mention rinsing too!

I'm not in this category per se, but having lost 1/4th of my thickness I can state that my hair is a lot easier to shampoo and rinse than when I had all that thickness!

RapunzelKat
January 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Great idea for a thread!!

My nearly-classic-length thin hair can be folded into a French twist without sticking way out behind my head :D

elbow chic
January 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM
It looks ethereal! It does NOT look like a wild unkempt block-o-hair when down! you can do a bun that looks GOOD at a point well before waist-length.

Vanilla
January 30th, 2012, 04:44 PM
You can wear the same hair toys even when your hair gets longer :) (I only have forks). They should work until my hair is at least waist length.

Amber_Maiden
January 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM
You guys get all the hair fun :(

Foxy_Booker
January 30th, 2012, 04:59 PM
- Long hair isnt heavy to put in updos
- takes far less dye/henna
- self hair cuts are easier
- doesnt need as much shampoo/conditioner/product

Thats all I can think of at the moment...

Orangerthanred
January 30th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I wish I had thin hair.. I think it looks better long. If you have really thick hair (a la mine) it looks too big for your body and covers up you whole chest, neck, etc. And thin hair looks easier to manage, less expensive to care for, and just overall nicer....

Lissandria
January 30th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Im in for some thin hair love :) It takes much less time to dry and it is easier to put in updos. Easier to section my hair for dying/hennaing so you get all the roots.

Red Rapunzel
January 30th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Wow! I didn't expect all those replies! I will add that my thinned-out long hair dries much faster than it would have when it was about five times as thick! Also, I don't ever get a headache from the weight of my long hair - in fact, I can actually forget it's there due to its relative weightlessness. I can think of one more advantage . . .

Starry_Eyed
January 30th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Hmmmm, I suppose a benefit is that there's less hair to put into curls so it takes less time. Even though I wish desperately for thicker hair, my arms get tired as it is putting my hair into rollers. :p I think people who were born with thinner hair also have an easier time as children (sometimes). I see quite a few thick haired or curly haired children out there who look like a disaster (but could have GLORIOUS hair!) because mom and dad don't know what to do with it. :/

I also never have poofy hair days.

gthlvrmx
January 30th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Drying time is reduced. :)

ericthegreat
January 30th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Drying time is reduced. :)

I totally agree.

My super thick hair is now almost 4ft long. It now takes anywhere between 5 to 7 whole HOURS to fully air-dry my hair after washing it. This is why I take a shower and wash my hair immediately after eating dinner, so that it has time to dry while I go to sleep. And often even when I wake up, my hair will sometimes still be a little damp! :steam

Eboshi
January 30th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Great idea for a thread. My hair feels 'thin' even though I'm squarely in the ii category.

Benefits? Hairstyles that typically require more length, such as the Figure-8 bun and Infinity bun, can be done at shorter lengths compared to those with thicker hair.

It seems to dry faster as well after washing.

vanillabones
January 30th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Dries very fast, less than an hour for me easily. Maybe around 30-40mins tops.

It looks delicate and fairy like.

Takes a lot less product... I have enough product to last me until BSL.

Won't be as heavy when it is long... I already notice a difference and I'm just past shoulder (compared to the weight of a pixie) so that's a plus for me.

Less time to put into curls and to curl (will also be important to me because I intend to use curlers every night once my hair is long)

I think bad thoughts about my hair in my head but those really are some good benefits!

alyanna
January 30th, 2012, 05:53 PM
First of all, GREAT IDEA FOR A THREAD!!!

Secondly, I'm already starting to see the merits of having thin, longer hair. Not only that, but I'm also starting to think that thin haired folks shouldn't wear their hair shorter than APL, contrary to popular opinion.

Why?

First, because it's weightless, which makes it so easy to wear down.
Second, it does look ethereal, curly or straight.
Third, it is easy to do buns and updos. My buns are still small, but my hair isn't quite APL yet. I do believe that by the time it's around waist, I could get a pretty awesome, intricate do going on.
Fourth, it is easier to wash and dry. Actually, I already think drying it is a pain. I can imagine the hassle when you've got iii+ hair.

So there :D

ericthegreat
January 30th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Fourth, it is easier to wash and dry. Actually, I already think drying it is a pain. I can imagine the hassle when you've got iii+ hair.

So there :D

Ok, no need to rub it in. ;)

LadyinTheMeads
January 30th, 2012, 06:01 PM
It looks ethereal! It does NOT look like a wild unkempt block-o-hair when down! you can do a bun that looks GOOD at a point well before waist-length.

I don't know about that...my hair looks unkempt barely 5 minutes after brushing. Maybe it's just my hair. :(

BUT!!!

Braids and ropes eat up hardly any length! :D

Toiréasa
January 30th, 2012, 06:20 PM

This for sure!

It take less than 100gm of henna to do my MBL hair with left over's for a gloss in between :p

Hollyfire3
January 30th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Lol yeah, i agree, iii hair+air drying=no fun!....well at least for me, if you guys enjoy it, more power to you:D

jacqueline101
January 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I'm not real thin haired but I'm not thick haired either. I agree less product usage easier to style and dye. You don't have to buy new hair toys and its economical as far as that goes.

Juneii
January 30th, 2012, 08:15 PM
seconding the drying time - my hair can take all day if I don't leave it down. And leaving it down when wet makes it tangle easier. Which then is a monster to detangle. Thinner haired people, what are your experiences with tangles? For my slightly thicker hair once a few strands start to tangle the rest of my hair jumps on the bandwagon and clump together. Does your thinner hair when left down tangle easily? I have a cousin who has thin hair (around midback) and her hair is left down all the time and it does not tangle at all.

Starry_Eyed
January 30th, 2012, 08:22 PM
seconding the drying time - my hair can take all day if I don't leave it down. And leaving it down when wet makes it tangle easier. Which then is a monster to detangle. Thinner haired people, what are your experiences with tangles? For my slightly thicker hair once a few strands start to tangle the rest of my hair jumps on the bandwagon and clump together. Does your thinner hair when left down tangle easily? I have a cousin who has thin hair (around midback) and her hair is left down all the time and it does not tangle at all.

I think this really depends on the person. Mine isn't so bad, but I think other thinned haired ladies have a hard time with static and tangling because the hairs are so fine and fragile.

blondie9912
January 30th, 2012, 08:30 PM
My hair dries in 1.5 hours (about 15 minutes in sunlight outdoors, in the summer)

Piyo
January 30th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Thin hair has a gentle whispy quality that I have always found to be really attractive. It seems to hold curl really well too, without that weight holding it down.

Thin hair never looks bushy, but silky and fluid. And it dries fast, as others have mentioned!

Overall easier manageability. :)

long.again
January 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM
During pregnancy my hair thickened up quite a bit. I remember it felt so weird and, for the first time in my life, I wished for my thin hair back. It felt like I had so much more hair and I didn't know what to do with it. It took much longer to dry and made me feel a lot hotter - like I was wearing a blanket over my head.

Also, new growth or breakage halos don't look horrible because it can sort of go with the thin wispiness of our hair!

sfgirl
January 31st, 2012, 12:30 AM
Hmmmm, I suppose a benefit is that there's less hair to put into curls so it takes less time. Even though I wish desperately for thicker hair, my arms get tired as it is putting my hair into rollers. :p I think people who were born with thinner hair also have an easier time as children (sometimes). I see quite a few thick haired or curly haired children out there who look like a disaster (but could have GLORIOUS hair!) because mom and dad don't know what to do with it. :/

I have thin hair, but it tangles so easily. I would straight FIGHT anyone who tried to detangle my hair because it would hurt so bad and I would cry. Once I was 9, and my mom learned if she braided it it wouldn't tangle, I was fine though. I feel bad it took her that long to figure out though. :(

skyblue
January 31st, 2012, 02:19 AM
well doesn't this thread give us a confidence booster! lol!
my has no weight to it even at 39 inches, it still takes a while to dry but if I leave it down the whole time it would only take an hour or two, less product for sure!, it compresses easily for buns, I never get real hot in summer even if I wear it down...my thin scalp allows heat to escape hahaha! It's very easy to self trim usually one snip and its done! Thats all I can think of right now

Mesmerise
January 31st, 2012, 02:28 AM
It's not as hot and heavy!

However... my thin hair still gets "poofy"... and if I wear my hair up when it's wet, it's still wet in the evening when I take it down ;). I seem to have relatively slow drying hair though, for some reason.

One other thing I like about my hair is that it really doesn't get tangly! Although I don't know if that's just a quality of my particular hair, and not thin hair in general.

Arianna
January 31st, 2012, 03:21 AM
Braids and ropes eat up hardly any length! :D

I really like that about most thin hair. Plus it makes those medieval/disney princess type hairstyles more plausible :p

ktani
January 31st, 2012, 03:45 AM
My hair is totally dry in 1.5 hours too.

The biggest advantage to me was thoroughly doing s&d easier, - less hair to go through, lol.

Now I hardly ever s&d - the last one was months ago.

I can tell where and when a problem is by the odd snag, as with catnip, and the 2 times so far I tried mineral oil/baby oil, I get no tangles.

I just check out the snagged area but so far, no breakage or splits. The no splits is catnip usual for me. The no breakage is more recent because that for me is down to my being a bit rough on my hair when I am in a hurry and is mechanical damage. I see much less of that these days. I am more careful. My hair is stronger though and both catnip and mineral oil cause less hair stress for me when I am careless.

ETA: The last mineral oil test for me was on shampooed only hair, no catnip and no tangles meant no hair stress while my hair did not have the usual conditioning and protection. I was very pleasantly surprised to have the no tangle protection of the mineral oil for that entire week.

bunzfan
January 31st, 2012, 04:08 AM
Second the drying time! mine takes about 4 hours and its not even that long yet. Oh and updo's i still can't make decent plain bun's due to thickish hair how i envy your all that can do a decent cinnamon bun before waist.

Aliantha
January 31st, 2012, 06:06 AM
It's not as hot and heavy!

However... my thin hair still gets "poofy"... and if I wear my hair up when it's wet, it's still wet in the evening when I take it down ;). I seem to have relatively slow drying hair though, for some reason.

One other thing I like about my hair is that it really doesn't get tangly! Although I don't know if that's just a quality of my particular hair, and not thin hair in general.

Mine is the same, Mesmerise. I have all the previously mentioned advantages of thin hair: dries quickly, doesn't give me a headache even when it's long, saves on shampoo and conditioner, fits into tiny hair toys, etc. It is odd to me, though, that if I put it up before it's dry, it stays wet forever.

Fairlight63
January 31st, 2012, 06:51 AM
Mine is so thin that when I want to do a trim of just the ends, I can do all of my hair in 1 snip:D

When my daughter was a teenager - she had such thick hair - that I had to trim hers in real small sections.

girlcat36
January 31st, 2012, 07:20 AM
I desperately needed to read this thread! Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had thicker hair!
So here is my list of good things about my thin hair:

~quick drying.
~I use just a tiny amount of shampoo/condish.
~Even though I'm a curly, I really can't use 'product' it weighs down my fine, thin hair too much. This saves me money, as curl creams are crazy expensive.
~my thin hair is weightless. In summer, this is a good thing.
~I color my own hair. It's hard enough with i/ii hair; I can't imagine trying to color iii hair by myself.
~It feels very soft/silky.
~rarely bothers me at night while I'm sleeping.
~self trims are insanely easy. As Fairlight said, one teensy snip and that's it!

I sometimes think my hair is too thin to wear long and that I should cut back to APL, but then I remember how fine and floaty my hair is and that I need the length to weigh it down.

airmid
January 31st, 2012, 08:07 AM
Thank goodness for this thread, I needed a perspective change! I never had thick hair exactly but it sure wasn't thin until a major shed (that's still going on, I feel like half my posts mention the shed but I'm still dealing with the loss, hahahaha!). Now my hair is pretty thin.
It still tangles at the drop of a hat, but I can see many benefits!
First, I love the ethereal faery look, I feel very elven and delicate and I like that. :) Also, I noticed that my hair feels different now, a lot softer, when it's freshly brushed it's really just like silk, it never used to be this soft when it was thicker! Braid waves are no longer poofy but are just pretty ripples, very medieval looking. It doesn't take too long to dry if it's left out of braids (if I braid-dry it it still takes several hours), it's easy to wash and condition. It's also shinier than it was, I have no idea why but I'm not arguing!

Babyfine
January 31st, 2012, 09:15 AM
I, too, always wish for thicker hair but here are the positives:

Fast drying time even in summer
no headaches from weight
Can put in curls from rollers or the rare curling iron much faster
can do certain updos at shorter lengths
use much less shampoo, conditioner,styling products thus saving money.
My hair needs product in humidity(tends to frizz) but a pea size to dime size of most gels do just fine.(put in while soaking wet)

PrairieRose
January 31st, 2012, 09:33 AM
Agree with the quick drying and easy trims!
Also easy to comb through:)

Veviticus
January 31st, 2012, 09:34 AM
I have dreadlocks with thin hair. The benefit of this is that I don't have the problems that other lock wearers have of having locks that become too heavy, which causes head and neck aches, and locks breaking off because of the weight of the lock.

This tread was a GREAT idea. Thanks!!!:joy:

irishlady
January 31st, 2012, 11:04 AM
I can get it into a bun when it's quite short!

Hollyfire3
January 31st, 2012, 06:54 PM
Wow, i think i am officially jelous of those with thin hair, fast drying, easier to care for, baically poof and frizz free, easy self trims, less product used, can make a decent bun before too long, doesn't use huge hair toys, doesn't tangle as much (generally speaking)....everything my hair is not, lucky you guys, sometimes though, if the conditions are right and i am having a good hair day, my thick hair is worth it, but you guys seem to have it worth it every day:)
great thread!

prettykitty
January 31st, 2012, 07:33 PM
I'd say all of the above benefits, although I do suffer from poofiness if I don't use cones. And yes, I can twist it into all sorts of buns and it's only mid back.
+1 for the ethereal, elven nature of thin hair- I have lots of baby hair and cute little fuzzies that give me a henna-blaze halo in bright sun :D

alyanna
January 31st, 2012, 07:40 PM

LOL!

Having said that, I'd trade my hair in for yours anytime Eric! Drying time and all, blonde or brunette ;)

marena
January 31st, 2012, 07:43 PM
Thank you for this thread! I feel a lot better now :)
I have thin hair and I usually wish it was thicker so this thread made me grateful for what I have.

alyanna
January 31st, 2012, 07:44 PM
You know what's really cool about this thread you guys?

All these i's and ii's coming out of the wood-work! I didn't know there were so many of us around here!

andreamuse
January 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM
If life was fair, I would have thicker hair. I wouldn't want seriously thick hair, but just a little more, enough to be a solid average "ii".

However, I do like my ethereal, fairy hair, too! :) I like how light it is, how soft, how much more comfortable in the summer months, how fairy-like, how fast it dries, how much less henna/indigo I need to use and how much less time in general I need to spend messing with my hair (hardly any now because I'm growing out of a pixie).

lunalocks
February 1st, 2012, 04:39 AM
As some one mentioned, S and D is a snap. There also is the silky factor, especially since I have started oiling my hair.

bumblebums
February 1st, 2012, 05:14 AM
Ha! Nobody else has mentioned it, no doubt because this is the LHC after all, but thin hair can look good at any length. Certain short haircuts just look awful, in my opinion, with thicker hair. So if for some reason long hair doesn't work out, you can fall back on a pixie or a bob and get away with it.

Cecalv
February 1st, 2012, 05:44 AM
It is not was warm in summer :P
I have friends with thick hair who has to put it in an updo all summer cause its just too warm do wear it down. Thin hair is rather breezy ^^

Rocket22
February 1st, 2012, 09:24 AM
Love the thread!!! I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. I have always wanted thicker hair but it's just not going to happen so I will embrace the great qualities of thinner hair. I do think it has a beautiful "floaty" look as well as all the other great advantages that are already mentioned.

ktani
February 1st, 2012, 09:47 AM
LOL, to me it is about embracing the hair one has and making the best of it.

I cannot grow new hair folicles. I can and have made my hair look thicker by not weighing it down with product and that has made a huge difference in how it looks and behaves.

I am quite pleased with my hair just as it is now that it is the best it has ever been in terms of condition.

magicatt
February 1st, 2012, 10:22 AM
I'm going to agree with everyone on the quick drying time. Mine takes about 1-1.5 hours and it's half way down my butt at the moment.

I also agree about the weight--or lack thereof. I have on several occasions nearly gone to bed with my hair still up in the style I'd put it in that morning because it is so weightless that I just don't remember that it's up.

I love that I can wear it down in the summer and just feel easy breezy with it and it's not so hot that I'm going to swelter to death.

I have never broken a hair toy because of the weight or volume of my hair--not even the cheap but fun plastic ones. This makes it easy to have some really cute hair toys that normally wouldn't work at my current length.

irishlady
February 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM
As others have said, the ethereal quality of thin/fine hair, it looks fairy like.

Chetanlaiho
February 1st, 2012, 12:25 PM
I used to be a bit above average but my hair has been thinning lately, so this helps me feel less bad about it ^_^

On the right day (meaning after it's dried without being put up) The thinness (especially at the ends) allows my hair to spiral for the last few inches, and then it actually does like nice and ethereal =)

The lower part of my hair dries quite quickly and the top part doesn't take horribly long but it does take a bit longer. My buns and ponies aren't that heavy (but: sensitive scalp so I still get hairaches >_>)

You need less product and you can use hair toys that would be broken by thicker, heavier hair.