PDA

View Full Version : Waist+, do you use overnight foam rollers?

mzBANGBANG
January 30th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I'm at BSL and I absolutely love foam rollers. My goal is somewhere beyond waist, but probably to hang out there until I can get everything cleaned up.

I couldn't live without foam rollers! I'd use them everyday if it didn't mean my boyfriend had to see my hair wrapped up every night. But, one thing I notice is even though I use a leave-in conditioner, sometimes it is difficult to unroll them from my head in the morning.

My question: if you have waist length or longer hair, are you able to use foam rollers, and do they work correctly? I noticed they tend to dry my ends out a bit (hence using a lot of leave in conditioner before I put them in). Do they get stuck in your hair, or does the weight of your length render them useless?

Just curious about what will change as my hair gets longer! If I get negative answers, it might actually help me trim and float around BSL for awhile longer.

Amazinggrace
January 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I have been wanting to try the jumbo foam rollers with coconut oil on the ends.

I think if you use wrapping paper (the perm/curl paper from salons) on your ends it will help them not dry out as much also. :)

Madora
January 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I've used large foam rollers on past waist length hair..but I braided my hair 3/4ths of the way down first, then divided the remaining hair into 5 sections, then used a foam roller on each section. I only dampened the hair slightly and left them in overnight.

lunalocks
January 31st, 2012, 07:39 PM
I use the skinny foam tube rollers that you twist to hold in place once they are rolled up. I like ringlets that gradually fall out into soft waves. I do this maybe twice a year so don't know how much damage this would cause if I did this daily. I will tell about a BIG mistake I just did. I finger combed the ringlets out for soft curls, then wanted to keep the curls so bunned it up without combing. I must have had a restless night or something because in the morning it was the worst rats nest. I usually never have tangles but this was terrible.When I got it combed all out, it was frizz. So I spritzed on a protein spray and smoothed it all down, had a great, full bun that day and wore it up for another night. Ihave some soft curls now. I will conditio a nd oil tonihgt and wash tomorrow and hope for the best. Will never do that again.

I do get the nicest bun waves from moistening with water, then conditioner and bunning for the night. Just need to alway, always to remember to comb out the curl before sleeping!

SoulOfTheSea
January 31st, 2012, 07:42 PM
I've had bad experiences with damage from foam curlers, that's why I had to chop my hair almost two years ago.

Diamond.Eyes
January 31st, 2012, 08:00 PM
I use rag/bandana curlers, which is pretty much the same concept. Applying them gets to be a little time-consuming as my hair gets longer, but the curls are worth it! I only do it about once a week though to save my hair from styling damage.

Nevvie
January 31st, 2012, 08:17 PM
If the foam rollers are drying your hair out you could try satin rollers. They're foam rollers wrapped in satin. Same results but less drying. End papers can help too, especially if you put just a touch of oil on the papers. Can't say much about how it works with waist + hair or even if the curl holds up well (I use very large rollers for straightening) but satin rollers are fairly cheap, worth a try.