PDA

View Full Version : Jojaba or Apricot?

princesitamaria
January 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM
So I was in GNC and I saw they have jojaba for 10 bucks and apricot for 5 and I dont like the cocnut oil anymore- it makes my hair really oily and I rather try something else. I just need something for the ends that used to be bleached so it doesnt look so dry but wont look like a freakin grease truck lol, please help :)

PrairieRose
January 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I don't know about apricot but I looove jojoba oil. I also got tired of coconut oil because of the constant grease ball look! Jojoba is much, much better:D

Amber_Maiden
January 30th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Have no idea about apricot. Lots of people like Jojoba oil. You really need to experiment, however- an oil that works for someone else's hair might not work on yours.

princesitamaria
January 30th, 2012, 01:50 PM
okay sounds good, I just think I should try the aprocot cause its suppossed to be lighter than the jojaba but everyone loves the jojaba- its just so expensive! I am going to ask my friend to get it for me :D

Long_hair_bear
January 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I use toadstools jojoba leave in and it works great. Comes in 50 different fragrances too!

kjirstiben
January 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM
This article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=66) has a lot of good information about the various kinds of oils you can use for hair and skin.

Jojoba oil is in short supply right now (worldwide), so it's more expensive than usual this year. I think you'll be fine to use apricot kernel oil as a substitute. Other less expensive options include avocado oil, sweet almond oil, and even shea butter (which is the first treatment that I've found that actually moisturized my dry, crispy ends).

Hope this helps!

Leisje
January 30th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I have apricot kernal oil and I loooove it. It makes skin really soft and smooth, and keeps my scalp and hair happy. I use it on damp hair and it absorbs right in and helps it stay moisturized. It is a lighter oil, but still manages to be nourishing.

Aethernaught
January 30th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I usually get a litre of jojoba once per year or so, I use it after the shower for super dry skin and I thought I was getting pretty nice results wiping the extra off of my hands into the ends of my hair. Since I started buying big the cost of the tiny bottles at the drugstore just make me choke, yipes! $10 for like 6 or 8 ounces? It was $25 for the pesticide free (but not fully organic) litre last year, this year it's going to be $33 apparently. http://jojobacompany.com/shop/Products.aspx

I think that jojoba was sold to me years ago with people saying the weight, viscocity and other characteristics were the most like human skin oils. Apricot is super light and probably quite similar, but there may be a higher chance of allergy or reaction. If you're not sensitive to apricots though, for the bargain price it certainly couldn't hurt to try.

Aethernaught
January 30th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I can't edit, but just noticed that even the 8oz bottles from my fav online place are $13. Wow, it really is expensive in small amounts; when you find what you like, I guess try to look for larger size discounts. The litre bottle I buy refills my small shower squeezie bottle once a month and then some.

princesitamaria
January 31st, 2012, 06:20 AM
I can't edit, but just noticed that even the 8oz bottles from my fav online place are $13. Wow, it really is expensive in small amounts; when you find what you like, I guess try to look for larger size discounts. The litre bottle I buy refills my small shower squeezie bottle once a month and then some.
Yea that makes more sense since I buy my henna in bulk too, but I guess I just wanna try it first andd if I get the same awesome results everybody else gets I will go and buy it in bulk, I got a small thing of vitamin e for my belly and let me tell you I have had it since xmas and I got half left still- so it depends on how long your hair is, I prob will take at least 2 months to go through it