PDA

View Full Version : Growth stage frustration!

bunzfan
January 30th, 2012, 11:02 AM
O.k i'm having a love hate relationship with my hair right now it seems like i have been at this stage forever so i thought some of you may understand this rant.

When i joined i made APL-BSL quite quickly (3 months) it's probably because i'm pretty short but this BSL-Waist seems like it's taking forever because i was this sort of length before so about an inch shy of waist but cut back to just above BSL in June to get rid of layers so, it feels like i have been at this stage forever.

Please tell me some of you felt like this! some days i look at short hair and think i like how it looks but i always say no because i love updo and unless i straightened it everyday i would hate my hair short. It feels like its not growing to but i know it is.

Would this just be a case of put it up and forget about it for a few months :shrug: it just feels like i'm in between medium and long i know in about 4 months if i just leave it i will love the length, i guess its just frustration.

moon2dove
January 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I feel for you.
I'm about an inch below my bra strap and hardly any growth since November - maybe half inch :confused:
Today my hair is really curly and it's sprung up to APL :rolleyes:
I know I'm going to stay BSL for 'years' !! - because I want to be BSL unstretched :D

CarpeDM
January 30th, 2012, 11:27 AM
You are not alone! I know how you feel! I cut my APL length hair to shoulder to get rid of layers and it took forever to get to APL again and then it took almost a year to get to BSL and now it will probably take another year to get to waist. Don't give up, you are making progress and think of all those lovely hair toys when you feel down :)

Ligeia_13
January 30th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I feel your pain. I'm at the length where my hair always stops growing :( so I'm extra paranoid about it and if on some day it looks a little shorter I think to myself "Oh no, damage is starting to travel up and it'll keep getting shorter and shorter"

jacqueline101
January 30th, 2012, 11:41 AM
My hair is arm pit length and when stretched out its as 4 inches from bra strap length. It seems to have stopped growing. It has slowed down to a half inch a month. I was hoping it would fly through b s l hair and be at middle back length by late spring. I feel your pain and I'm still doing everything like I did this summer and fall. Maybe our hair needed a break.

Theobroma
January 30th, 2012, 12:12 PM
[...] this BSL-Waist seems like it's taking forever because i was this sort of length before so about an inch shy of waist but cut back to just above BSL in June to get rid of layers so, it feels like i have been at this stage forever.

Please tell me some of you felt like this! [...]

Oh, I have definitely felt like this! BSL to waist took forever for me too, despite my not trimming. And now I'm at hip but my ends are thin enough that it doesn't feel like hip at all! So yes, "put it up and forget it" is definitely a good solution for sitting out a phase like this. Hang in there -- it will grow longer!

Lapin
January 30th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I have been at the dread shoulder-length for YEARS.
YEARS I tell you.
my hair, this length::horse:
it's been long enough. really.

So, I feel your pain. I've noticed with me and other people on the board, hair seems to stall and stall and do nothing and then, all of a sudden, WHAM it's reached your next milestone!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, if you keep yours crossed for me!

heidi w.
January 30th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Believe it or not, there are lots of times that my hair feels too short, and I sort of panic and have to go check it's all still there! I generally wear my hair up, and this is the best for maintaining hair that is in fairly good condition most of the time.

I would say it's important not to overly focus on the goal length, but instead enjoy the hair you have at whatever length it is at. Benign neglect is kind of what most long haired women do with their hair, that is, put it up and kind of forget about it, excepts as it concerns eating or something along those lines.

heidi w.

gibsongirl71
January 30th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I am there too. I just reached APL and it seems like it will be forever before I even reach BSL. And this is the time of year I get depressed and cut my hair. So I am just trying to stay strong and not obsess too much. Hang tough!! We will reach our goals!:)

patienceneeded
January 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I feel the same. I'm also at BSL and feel like my hair has stopped growing. From the number of times I've trimmed my bangs, I do *know* my hair is growing...but it sure doesn't feel like it all the time. I'm also waiting for more length to be able to do most buns, since my hair is too thick to do them with at BSL. Frustrating.

Madora
January 30th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I've been in that boat too, Bunzfan! The hair seems to be growing with the speed of a glacier.

But your hair will get there eventually! Wearing it up..or experimenting with new dos will help you get thru this trying time.

Also, have you tried scalp massage (head bent position)? Hang in there...you'll reach your goal. Patience wasn't my strong suit when I was growing my hair long again, so I just wore it up and waited til it finally got longer.

Humbug
January 30th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I've been hanging round at shoulder length for too blooming long!! Finally starting to get the longest part creeping down onto my back but the front is still very much SL! I know that once it stops resting on my shoulders it will seem like it speeds up but it's just so frustrating!

Woods Nymph
January 30th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I know what you mean, bunzfan! I feel like I've been at TBL forever! I think my issue is exactly what heidi w. said: I'm too focused on my goal length (Classic) of late...I've measured about 3 times in the same amount of months! I definitely need to stop!

PinkyCat
January 30th, 2012, 01:30 PM
But you're so close!
Keep on keepin on! Just think about how great you treat your hair and how awesome it will be once you get there. Hang in there!

Jessibear2854
January 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I have been at the dread shoulder-length for YEARS.
YEARS I tell you.
my hair, this length::horse:
it's been long enough. really.

So, I feel your pain. I've noticed with me and other people on the board, hair seems to stall and stall and do nothing and then, all of a sudden, WHAM it's reached your next milestone!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, if you keep yours crossed for me!

OMG I love that graphic! Hahaha. I totally feel this way too and have even been having thoughts of (gasp) chopping it all off. I know I should just put it up and forget about it but that seems so boring to me and it's like, if I'm not enjoying my hair anymore then why bother? Plus I vascillate between loving and hating my henna so it's like if I just chop I could grow out the henna a lot easier.

Ugh.... decisions!

ebba
January 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM
me too :/
i have been wavering around APL for 7 months now and its so frustrating. it curls differently and it has layers/is frizzy and it will go to upper back and apl. I just want it to grow so i can trim the layers away finally haha. and i'm trying to grow out my virgin hair even though i dyed it last week shudder:
what was i thinking???

MamaCimino
January 30th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I know how you feel, I had hair that was at or just below BSL for years, it never seemed to get past that length. I had the "brilliant" idea of chopping it all off. After the newness had worn off I regretted it. Now about a year and a half later I am about four inches to being back to the length it was. Now that I know how to take care of it I know it will get longer than before. You'll get there!

Long_hair_bear
January 30th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm at bsl and it does feel like it takes forever to grow! :(

SwordWomanRiona
January 30th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I know how you feel! My hair was stuck between tailbone+ and fingertip for a looong time. Like years, even (all right, I didn't (micro)trim or take very good care of my hair back then, but still). Now I've begun to do take better care of my hair, I've grown from tailbone+ to classic in a couple of months, and from classic to very nearly fingertip in five months...But my hair seems to grow at such a tremendously slow pace at the classic-level...:(. Anyway, stalls happen, I suppose we'll just have to be patient. Don't loose hope!

Long_Curls
January 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
O.k i'm having a love hate relationship with my hair right now it seems like i have been at this stage forever so i thought some of you may understand this rant.

When i joined i made APL-BSL quite quickly (3 months) it's probably because i'm pretty short but this BSL-Waist seems like it's taking forever because i was this sort of length before so about an inch shy of waist but cut back to just above BSL in June to get rid of layers so, it feels like i have been at this stage forever.

Please tell me some of you felt like this! some days i look at short hair and think i like how it looks but i always say no because i love updo and unless i straightened it everyday i would hate my hair short. It feels like its not growing to but i know it is.

Would this just be a case of put it up and forget about it for a few months :shrug: it just feels like i'm in between medium and long i know in about 4 months if i just leave it i will love the length, i guess its just frustration.

I will not lie and will admit there are some rare occasions when I wonder what it'd be like to go back to short hair (specifically, almost shaved to a High and Tight). Then, I think of how much it takes to grow hair to a substantial length and soon I cross the thought off my mind ;)

SwordWomanRiona
January 30th, 2012, 02:57 PM

This! Convinced that my hair would remain at classic for ages (given that it had remained at tailbone++ for ages!), I didn't measure for months. And this week, wham! :D, I measured and found out that I'm practically at fingertip length!

So yes, keep your fingers crossed!

silverstars
January 30th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Me too. I have been slowly inching past mid back after the last trim I did. I feel like I have to literally sit on my hands to keep myself from cutting it sometimes. I haven't been so frustrated since shoulder length. I think I'll feel better once I reach waist. :P

Mrspuddinhead
January 30th, 2012, 09:30 PM
You are not alone sister. My hair is currently past BSL, 25" inches. It has been at this length since August. I'm irritated because I'm short waist-ed, 27" inches and I should be there already but I'm not. Glad to know there are others who feel as I do. I haven't wanted to cut my hair but it seems like I need a trim to help promote growth. Not a major cut mind you , just about 1 1/2 to 2 " cut off. Could I be at terminal length or is just the fact that once you reach mid back it seems as if it's not growing when in fact it really is..??

sunshine-locks
January 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM
-Doublepost.

sunshine-locks
January 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I'm growing my hair out and it's been ages since the big chop and it's not even properly chin length yet D: I'm feeling really impatient and I can't just tie it up and leave it. Can't wait till I can put mine into a ponytail or bun like you guys :P

jojo
January 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I know exactly what you mean BSL to waist was such a frustrating time for me, each goal has taken me exactly a year to get to. Getting to hip I thought would be easy but its a case of so near but so far!

Your a flys fart away from waist , just get it up in one of your wonderful hair sticks and ignore it, you will be there before you know it!

Kira94
January 31st, 2012, 01:51 AM
I'm at BSL and it's driving me crazy! I know it's growing, I can see it in monthly pictures. But it doesn't feel any longer, it's absolutely maddening! I also go through panicky moments where I think "Oh no, what if THIS is my terminal length?!".
I just wish it would grow like an inch a week. That would be splendid! Imagine! Four whole inches a month! Why, I'd be at my goal in less than 3 months! :D

Ligeia_13
January 31st, 2012, 09:01 AM
...a flys fart away from waist...

Oh my goodness I'm adopting this expression :D

lunalocks
February 2nd, 2012, 11:48 AM
I was a t BSL for YEARS - due to 4 years of community theater abuse(and horrible products for the hairstyles I needed to do - I never had to wear a wig, at least), a serious illness and menopause that both caused shedding. I was resigned to trimming off damaged hair forever and never making progress. I was shocked when I realized I had reached waist, just by taking better care of my hair.

Be patient. Take care of your hair. It will grow.