PDA

View Full Version : InStyler

blondecat
January 30th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Does anyone have one,? does it work? how hot does it get?

Do you think short term use would do a lot of damage on normal undamaged fine hair.

Sometimes my hair is soooo flat and i just want a bit of volume without the braidcurls.

<<<<<<< avi pic is braidwaves

Jessykins
January 30th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Well ive just did a quick google of it and its a rotating curling iron. so yes there would be the same damage as hair straighteners, or curling iron in the long run, and might cause some damage in the short term.

But i think using a straightening brush might be better, its a brush that you use with a hair dryer, as the heat off a hair dryer is no where near as hot as a straightener / curling iron.

Babyliss has actually brought something out that is designed for lifting up the roots, but its still heat, called the Root Boost, this might be better if your just after adding volume to your roots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E9D5HH7yQE (a quickie tutorial and results from babyliss)

But if you do get any of these you might want to baby your hair more often as its targeting the roots and you cant really trim those off when they get damaged. oh the woes of flat hair!

jacqueline101
January 30th, 2012, 06:33 AM
My friend has one and loves it. I've never used it but it looks nice.

AnimaSola3o4
January 30th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I have one, but I use it for straightening not for root lift.

I saw this product once, at walmart, and wondered if it'd really work.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Conair-You-Lift-Clips-Item-55586-6ct/16782084

luxepiggy
February 2nd, 2012, 07:00 AM
I have one, which I use to curl my ends for parties & such. It's actually a castoff from my mother. She originally intended to use it for volume, but found it difficult to use for that purpose, which is why she passed it along to me. My gut feeling is that it probably isn't a good fit for your purposes, as I too attempted to master the volume-adding technique and failed abjectly (>(oo)<)`

Carolyn
February 2nd, 2012, 07:23 AM
I have one. I use it for straightening out my annoying waves. I don't think it's all that good for my hair but oh well.

luxepiggy
February 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
I have one. I use it for straightening out my annoying waves. I don't think it's all that good for my hair but oh well.

I think it's so interesting how it can be used for both curling and straightening! Does it work well as a straightener? I really like it as a curler, the curls come out perfect and extra-shiny, compared to the ones I get from a regular curling iron.

Hollyfire3
February 2nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
I have used one to straighten my hair because i didn't want to flat iron, i think the damage is a bit less because it is rotating, but only a bit. It made my curls poof out even though i was straightening and it kinda got caught on the strands. You can give it a try, just be careful not to tangle the strands, especially if your hair is fine.

Anje
February 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM
Babyliss has actually brought something out that is designed for lifting up the roots, but its still heat, called the Root Boost, this might be better if your just after adding volume to your roots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E9D5HH7yQE (a quickie tutorial and results from babyliss)

But if you do get any of these you might want to baby your hair more often as its targeting the roots and you cant really trim those off when they get damaged. oh the woes of flat hair!
I would suggest that folks with hair that gets damaged by heat steer clear of that device. I've seen the complaints from people who used that Root Boost device and ended up with bad damage and breakage right at the base of their hair. Not good.

Of course, some people have hair that withstands heat better than others, and/or have habits and products that reduce the damage that the heat causes. As for my fine, often-flat hair, I prefer to put it up where it stays safe from things like undergrads with bunsen burners (!) rather that style it with things that damage it.