PDA

View Full Version : May I have Opinions, do I need trim? (Pics)

Safira
January 30th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Last time I trimmed was August. I really need opinions, does my hair needs cut? My hair is always kind of fluffy and flying, donīt mind of that.

My ends doesenīt seem so dry, I donīt have splits, but they grow like U-shape. What do you think, ladies? :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8673&pictureid=125289

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8673&pictureid=125288

(yes, there is LHC open...:eyebrows: )

MonaLisa
January 30th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Well, in my opinion nothing wrong with U line, i love it actually :)
You have beautiful hair!

However, a tiny trim can do wonders, from my experience..1/2inch can't hurt, since last was in August!

CastaDiva
January 30th, 2012, 03:47 AM
I think your hair looks absolutely wonderful, and in my opinion it doesn't look like it is in need of a trim or cut. Your hemline is beautiful too:)

Tota
January 30th, 2012, 03:51 AM
You have my dream hemline and length! :heart:

Just sayin', so I would say noooooooooo or maybe just a tiny little bit. You know best how your ends "feel".

Safira
January 30th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Thank you ladies for your sweet words :flowers:

This winter has been very harsh, Iīve been struggling with my hair to find the balance. Iīve been worried this winter has dryed my ends, Iīm kind of "cut, not cut, maybe a little, no, yes, cut or not to cut".
But Iīm glad that you said they donīt look so bad! Thanks :cheese:

Maybe a small trim, ― inch...

Of the Fae
January 30th, 2012, 04:09 AM
It looks just a little rough on the ends, but otherwise it is very very beautiful! How does your hair feel? Is it rough? If it isn't it may just be me misinterpreting, in that case excuse me. Eitherway I don't think you need a trim, and the U shape is very lovely on you!

*Seraphina*
January 30th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Your hair looks beautiful! I should not trim :)

Safira
January 30th, 2012, 04:41 AM
It looks just a little rough on the ends, but otherwise it is very very beautiful! How does your hair feel? Is it rough? If it isn't it may just be me misinterpreting, in that case excuse me. Eitherway I don't think you need a trim, and the U shape is very lovely on you!

Thank you for compliments :blossom:

Ends feel nice, but I think I´m going to cut ½ inch. At least it´s going to be nicer U-shape :D.

Awwww.. Seraphina, thank you =)

Mesmerise
January 30th, 2012, 04:45 AM
I think your hair looks very pretty! And I wouldn't say it NEEDS a trim, but if you'd feel better with a small amount trimmed off, then go for it!

maria_asa
January 30th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I think your hair looks very pretty! And I wouldn't say it NEEDS a trim, but if you'd feel better with a small amount trimmed off, then go for it!

This (ten charachters)

Toadstool
January 30th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Gorgeous hair, and gorgeous hemline!

virgo75
January 30th, 2012, 06:10 AM

2nd this.

Gorgeous hair, and gorgeous hemline!

And this.

Maybe a little leave in conditioner or oil on the ends would make them feel better for you? Sometimes I think my hair needs a trim and all it really needs is some conditioner and/or oil.

Winter can be bad for hair, but yours seems to be holding up nicely. :)

jacqueline101
January 30th, 2012, 06:25 AM
It looks nice and it doesn't seem to be split up and needing a trim. If you want you could do a micro trim. I'd love to have nice hair like yours. As far as a u or v hem line goes there is nothing wrong with them my hair naturally grows that way too.

dwell_in_safety
January 30th, 2012, 07:19 AM
As stated, you don't need a trim. If you're asking the question of whether or not you should have one, though, I would do a tiny trim of half an inch or so and see how good it is. I do a trim about that length every three months, and it does wonders for my ends even if they really don't look bad at the time.

Of the Fae
January 30th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Thank you for compliments :blossom:

Ends feel nice, but I think Iīm going to cut ― inch. At least itīs going to be nicer U-shape :D.

Awwww.. Seraphina, thank you =)

Good :) then it was just me misreading the lighting on the pictures. How long did it take you to get to that length btw? I'm only APL myself, and very eager to have hair that long!

Safira
January 30th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Again, thank you ladies, so sweet and couraging words!

Virgo75: I have been skipping leave-ins for a while, I should change my habits. I used Panacea and Jessicurl Aloeba-conditioner, they are so wonderful products.

Jacqueline101: But your hair is beautiful, they have so fine colour, like toffee. I love that colour.

Dwell-in safety: Youīre right, microtrims are good for hair. I think itīs my time to do mictrotrim. I have been skipping my haircare lately..

Of the Fae: I started to grow my hair January 2010. My hair was back then at shoulder/apl. It took two years to this lenght. I had to do major cuts because my hair was so damaged. At some point I didnīt believe that my hair grew longer than bsl. But, henna made my hair :cheese:
Youīll have long hair, just be patient. It will take some time but itīs worth it.

1nuitblanche
January 30th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Your hair is so pretty! I love the loose waves it has! I don't think it needs a trim, but I think it might look even thicker at the bottom if you were to trim just a little off the ends.

lapushka
January 30th, 2012, 09:25 AM
If it were my hair, I wouldn't have it trimmed. If you think you should trim, only do a slight dusting of the ends (1/2 inch at the most).

alyanna
January 30th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Your hair is absolutely gorgeous!

Beautiful color, beautiful texture, beautiful length and beautiful hemline!

I agree with everyone else that you don't need a trim, but if it would make you feel better, you could alway just get a centimeter or two off the very bottom. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Happy growing and post more pictures soon!

holothuroidea
January 30th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Your hair is beautiful!

If you are close to your goal length, I would wait until you get there to trim because it looks like it's in good shape and a trim will set you back a month. If you've got a ways to go before you hit your goal maybe a small trim to freshen the ends and clean up the hemline a little bit.

Either way it is gorgeous.

Of the Fae
January 30th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Henna is indeed the rescuer of hair! It helped me prevent a chop after an awful bleachjob!

Annalouise
January 30th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Some people's hair doesn't get split ends or dry out as easily as others. (C hair especially). Do you brush your hair?

Nymphea
January 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Your hair is in nice shape, and ends are ok, as I can see. Since the last trim was in August, if it's ok with you and if you want a more blunt hemline, do just a little microtrim (like 1/2 inch or even 1/4 inch) and it will be perfect! :)

Safira
January 30th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Henna is indeed the rescuer of hair! It helped me prevent a chop after an awful bleachjob!

Great, henna makes miracles :D Iīm glad henna helps you!

Safira
January 30th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Some people's hair doesn't get split ends or dry out as easily as others. (C hair especially). Do you brush your hair?

I brush my hair rarely, usually I just comb it. My hair gets splits very easily, but henna doesenīt :D

Safira
January 30th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Your hair is in nice shape, and ends are ok, as I can see. Since the last trim was in August, if it's ok with you and if you want a more blunt hemline, do just a little microtrim (like 1/2 inch or even 1/4 inch) and it will be perfect! :)

Well, itīs almost half a year ago since I trimmed. Tiny trim doesenīt make harm, thank you for your compliment!

heidi w.
January 30th, 2012, 12:01 PM
It doesn't appear to me that you need to trim at all, and certainly not as much as 1/2 inch.

Hair for most grows in a somewhat u-shaped, or a gentle smile. So that's fairly normal. If you try for a straight across hemline, I think you would lose more hair than necessary. Besides you have some body, so it will be hard to get it perfectly straight across, as hair with body, when it loses weight from length, coils up and the curls do different things than you might expect.

Hair with a fair amount of body, which you have, needs more moisture. I wonder if Condition Only washing is something you've ever tried, and benefitted from? That may be a solution to the dryness option.

And during the night in your bedroom, I'd recommend that if you live in snowy conditions to run a humdifier.

Things to consider. Your hair is lovely as is, and I don't think you need a trim at all.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 30th, 2012, 12:10 PM
It looks nice and it doesn't seem to be split up and needing a trim. If you want you could do a micro trim. I'd love to have nice hair like yours. As far as a u or v hem line goes there is nothing wrong with them my hair naturally grows that way too.

Almost all hair naturally grows in a bit of a u-shape. Even if you trim it a blunt hemline, at some point, the sides will likely become a bit shorter than the strip down the back of the head which is the area of the most dense hair and most amount of the volume.

For one, if you draw the sides over the shoulders, the curve that hair sustains during the drawing over the shoulders tends to take up a few inches, and in this way, contributes to that u-shape that we often tend to witness.

George Michael, the long hair salon stylist, talks about this in his writing and recommend cutting hair length in a way that is natural to how one's hair grows. He talks about a gentle u or a gentle smile for the hemline.

ETA: Then there's a potential issue for some of us with "weak spots" which I have. GM talks about weak spots. It's an area of hair length that tends to grow slower and/or shorter than the rest of the bulk of the hair. Mine is on one side of my hair, but I have seen them in the middle of hair. For example, one was created on a lady as she was a mother and had the misfortune to get gum stuck in her hair in the middle down her back. She otherwise had beautiful hair. For weak spots, one can consider trimming and holding the measurement of the hair's length at a certain measurement to allow the weak area to grow a bit longer through time. I've tried this two times, and sort of did and sort of did not work. It's just one of the things I have to live with. END ETA

I am simply trying to point out that this kind of hemline is relatively normal for most people.

Then add in curls, and trimming, you have an additional problem. One can cut off very little, but as weight from hair strand length is dropped, the hair tends to curl up even more, and can contribute to the perception that more hair was cut off than was actually taken off. Lots of salon stories about that. Which is why those with curl should not trim with wet hair, but instead, it's recommend to trim curly hair dry. I am straight-haired, and I trim dry. The bulk of my hair would become a tangled mess in a salon wash bowl. And it's a nightmare to comb out, taking around an hour before a stylist can get started. So I come in with freshly washed and already detangled hair for a trim. It's just easier.

The lady who heads up Devachan salon and no- or low- poor shampoos has a very specific way she trims hair with body, and handles trimming curls. She's been a speaker and presenter at many hair shows, training salon stylists in the ways of cutting curly hair. She also wrote the book, Curly Girl, which advocates more moisture through Conditioner Only hair washes, or moderately bodied hair CO washes just the length.

I just didn't want someone possibly making a mistake by over-trimming their hair.

heidi w.

Safira
January 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM
It doesn't appear to me that you need to trim at all, and certainly not as much as 1/2 inch.

Hair for most grows in a somewhat u-shaped, or a gentle smile. So that's fairly normal. If you try for a straight across hemline, I think you would lose more hair than necessary. Besides you have some body, so it will be hard to get it perfectly straight across, as hair with body, when it loses weight from length, coils up and the curls do different things than you might expect.

Hair with a fair amount of body, which you have, needs more moisture. I wonder if Condition Only washing is something you've ever tried, and benefitted from? That may be a solution to the dryness option.

And during the night in your bedroom, I'd recommend that if you live in snowy conditions to run a humdifier.

Things to consider. Your hair is lovely as is, and I don't think you need a trim at all.

heidi w.

Thank you Heidi W for your answer!
Yes youīre right, if I cut my hair too much, my hair gets "curlier" and it seems they loose too much lenght. I donīt trust anyone (anymore) to cut my hair besided myself. I know how to cut my hair. If you cut hair too much at middle, it will look shorter middle when itīs dry.

Iīve tried CO and sometimes still, but my hair needs shampoo quite often, henna made my hair stronger, but I have more often residue for some reason, thatīs why I left some leave-ins.

Itīs been -35- -12 here. Very cold, my hair has gotten very wild. Really I canīt blame it, but Iīm not happy about it. Maybe I should try humifier, I think benefits would be great, not just for hair but for skin and to breathe.

And thank you Heidi for compliment, your hair is lovely too! Iīm actually a big fan of your hair.