PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it is okay?

jennescence
January 29th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Due to a new job schedule i have had to change my hair routine a bit. I only work three days a week and am off four days in a row. Do you think it would be okay to let my hair marinate in coconut oil for the four days i am off? Or do you think that is too much?

gretchen_hair
January 29th, 2012, 11:45 PM
I think it's fine to oil your hair for as long as you can personally stand it. I couldn't tolerate heavily greased hair for 4 days, maybe 2 tops. It's all about your personal threshold.

simplysnuggle
January 29th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I don't think it's too much at all. When oiling hair if you keep your hair up in braids its a little bit more tolerable. Hey and if you find that you don't like it you can always change it. It's your hair... do what YOU want!

Bagginslover
January 30th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Obviouslt I've not been doing it for long, but I'm finding I can tolerrate having purposly oily har far better than I ever tolerrated having naturally greasy hair.
I've only used baby oil so far, but after a few days, its gone! My hair does seem to love the oil, so I'm going to continue.
I bought some coconut oil at the weekend, so I'm going to start using that now.

Madora
January 30th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Due to a new job schedule i have had to change my hair routine a bit. I only work three days a week and am off four days in a row. Do you think it would be okay to let my hair marinate in coconut oil for the four days i am off? Or do you think that is too much?

Personally, I would not but it is your hair. The only thing about the extra long soaking would be the difficulting in removing all of that oil. How long would it take? How much hair manipulation? That's what I'd worry about.

Amber_Maiden
January 30th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I think it's fine. I do it all the time. Sometimes for 8+ days!

SarahKayfa
January 30th, 2012, 01:11 PM
When I am home alone for several day stretches I just apply a little oil to the ends and then let it be until I have to venture out again. It seems to make my hair happy.

HairFaerie
January 30th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I think your hair will only absorb so much moisture/oil, anything it doesn't absorb will just sit there. I am not even sure coconut oil will get absorbed, it might just form a barrier. Four days might be overkill, but that's just my opinion.

Avital88
January 30th, 2012, 01:39 PM
i do this alot,its perfectly fine

jacqueline101
January 30th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I work the same schedule and I mist mine on daily. My hair likes the daily misting of oils of course mine is diluted and mixed with other oils.

heidi w.
January 30th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Personally, I would not but it is your hair. The only thing about the extra long soaking would be the difficulting in removing all of that oil. How long would it take? How much hair manipulation? That's what I'd worry about.

I concur with Madora. I don't think that you want that much marinating going on. For one, if you apply all this oil, you sort of can't go out as much--because your hair looks or appears dirty, when it really isn't.

I think overnight is the longest and sufficient for a marinade session.

You also want to be careful what you expose your scalp skin to and for how long. Hygiene of the acid mantle (the scalp skin) matters a fair amount.

If you want to apply oil a bit heavier then do it, I'd say, on the length only. Not the entire head of hair.

Also, all that stewing, you may need to change the pillowcase a bit more often, and you might experience pin acne or some kind of acne response on the facial skin if you sleep on such a pillowcase for too long without changing or washing it.
Different people have different sensitivities.

heidi w.

Lissandria
January 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I do this a lot too- The oiling is not so heavy that I can't go out or anything with my hair up but heavier than my usual post wash leave in oiling. It is a good way to put your hair up and forget about it for a few days, while knowing you are doing it some extra good.
I do agree with Madora that if it takes extra friction while washing or extra shampoo etc it is probably not worth your while, however. When I do a heavy oil it washes out just fine as if I hadn't done a heavy oil.
I would also do as Heidi says and only oil your lengths/ends not your whole head.

akilina
January 30th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Go for it!! I wish I could get away with it. I only get 2 days off a week and they are not always 2 in a row. I've even oiled my hair while at work and just wore it up in a bun and clipped up. No one ever notices

elfgirl
January 30th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I've had coconut oil on my hair (from the earlobes down) for three days max, might have even been four one time. It happens when I oil before wash day, and then something comes up timewise where I don't have enough hours to wash and air dry my hair (hair takes around 3 hours to fully air dry), and then I have to postpone the wash, etc.

I haven't noticed any problems when I've had the oil in my hair for that long. When I do wash it, I just wash it twice with shampoo before doing the conditioner (I'm currently using S&C as it works best for me). Personally, I think it's good for extra moisturising! :)

Hope you find a balance that works for you! :)