PDA

View Full Version : Do Cones Block All Moisture Out?

daffodil7
January 29th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I just recently cut off several inches of bad ends. I had never had long hair before, and could not bring myself to cut the splits. Then I realized that the splits had gone up further than I would have ever had to cut if I had just cut them before. Anyway, I'm starting over and trying to be wiser.

I have used Infusium for many years. One time I stopped a year ago and noticed my hair seemed weak, and strange to me. So I thought I just should not go cone free, but now I'm realizing that maybe the cones were blocking out additional moisture I was putting on my hair, I don't know.

I have a few questions because I'm thinking of going cone free, but not sure if I have to. But I want to start going cone free right now if I am going to, now that I've cut all the damage off. I'm also crossing my fingers though b/c I have read that Infusium hid damage for some people that they later had to cut when they went cone free, so I'm hoping I have it all.

I use a sulfate shampoo to make sure cones are removed, but I'm African American and don't wash my hair daily, more like biweekly or so. I use Infusium leave in after washing and for sheen I use a coney serum once or twice a week. I just recently started olive oiling my ends before bed as well.

1. I wet set my hair between washings with conditioner, and sometimes just water for curls, twist outs, braid outs etc. I thought the new moisture from the conditioners and water was getting to my hair. are the cones blocking this new moisture?

Do cones block moisture completely until they are washed off? Or do they only block moisture to this degree if they have built up over several months or so of non removal with a sulfate shampoo?

If they always block new moisture, then that means my hair is not getting as much moisture as I thought, and maybe I should consider going cone free.

2. So second question, does anyone have a recipe for a homemade Infusium type of thing for strengthening and overall conditioning? I guess I could just use olive oil and coconut oil for sheen.

Moonlake
January 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM

daffodil7
January 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Thank you, Moonlake. How do you do the cold water egg shampoo? I heard of mixing egg with mayonnaise or cheapie conditioner. Is it like that or different?

Moonlake
January 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM

daffodil7
January 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Thank you, Moonlake. What a great idea. I will definitely be trying this tomorrow. :)

Charlotte:)
January 29th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Cones block some moisture out (they also lock moisture in), but not all of it. I use cones, but my hair still soaks oil up pretty well which means cones must be penetrable. :)