PDA

View Full Version : dye only hair dye?

bubblyredhead
January 29th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Is dye only hair dye meaning no developer just the dye damaging to hair?

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
You mean like semi permanate or temporary color. If not box chemical dye has to have developer.

bubblyredhead
January 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM
sorry should have been more specific, it says semi permanent but also says washes out in 6-12 washes so I would say more temporary?

pink.sara
January 30th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Semi permanents usually contain some pretty harsh chemicals also. My semi permanent black still has ammonia and peroxide, just a lower volume developer. It's usually only vegetable based toners and dyes like directions, manic panic etc that will have no harsh chemicals and cause no damage.

What brand do you have or what's on the ingredient list?

UltraBella
January 30th, 2012, 03:45 AM
In the US, a semi permanent will not have a developer. No ammonia, no peroxide. The color just sits on the outside of the hair shaft. A demi color will have a low level developer - peroxide is a good example and most commonly used.

pink.sara
January 30th, 2012, 04:10 AM
In the US, a semi permanent will not have a developer. No ammonia, no peroxide. The color just sits on the outside of the hair shaft. A demi color will have a low level developer - peroxide is a good example and most commonly used.

Ah, I never realised the US had a different system, I just presumed demi and semi would refer to the same thing.
We use Permanent, semi-permanent (12-24 washes usually) and non-permanent/wash in wash out (6-8 washes) to classify. Hence my semi colour in the UK still being pretty harsh.

But then some wash in wash out stuff here still has a fairly chemical heavy ingredient list.

Of the Fae
January 30th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Semi permanents, in my experience are less harsh. However, it's still chemicals and indeed dyes like manic panic are alot less agressive.

Chetanlaiho
January 30th, 2012, 04:23 AM

I wish those were for sale here, I haven't seen any semi or demi box colour without peroxide here =(

MonaMayfair
January 30th, 2012, 04:30 AM
There's one I was checking out online called Wella Color Fresh (semi permanent) which has neither peroxide OR ammonia.
It sounds pretty cool (I was thinking of trying to dye my hair dark brown, but I want to make sure it washes out!)