PDA

View Full Version : Stupid bobby pins!

simplysnuggle
January 28th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Anyone ever have those days where bobby pins just WON'T stay in your hair?!? I have tried approximately 4 different updos today and these bobby pins just hate me. They are literally shooting out of my hair! Even good days hair pins aren't working for me. I guess it's just a "leave your hair down" kinda day. :sad:

uptosomeone
January 28th, 2012, 09:32 PM
YES, I have those too!! I usually end up throwing my hair in a ponytail in that situation because neither up nor down ever looks good.

Ooh, they're SO frustrating.

Kelikea
January 28th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Your hair is too thick for bobby pins. Try hair pins. I like bunheads.

Hollyfire3
January 28th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Your hair is too thick for bobby pins. Try hair pins. I like bunheads.

This explains my hairs issue with those little pins, they get lost, get spat out, its a mess, really.

simplysnuggle
January 28th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I just don't get why some days bobby pins work fine and others they don't. I know my hair is probably too thick for normal bobby pins but good days hair pins that are specifically for thick hair won't even stay in today. What are some good pins that will help all the nasty little misbehaving bits go away?

Kira94
January 28th, 2012, 09:59 PM
YES! I totally have days like that, so frustrating! I usually end up leaving it down or putting it in a braided bun with a hair stick.

torrilin
January 28th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Bobby pins aren't meant to hold a lot of hair. And they're not really meant for securing updos. A u shaped hairpin might suit you better, or spiral pins like Goody's spin pins are often good.

My hair is fine and not particularly thick or dense, and it gleefully spits out bobby pins. Always has, always will.

Kelikea
January 28th, 2012, 10:02 PM
These are my favorite pins. they come in different sizes, but I have the 3in.
http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Pins-BH440BRN-Brown-One-Size/dp/B0002UW312/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327813235&sr=8-1http://image.allaboutdance.com/image/80x107/bh437_aad_1.jpg

MissManda
January 28th, 2012, 10:12 PM
My hair and bobby pins do not get along; they're constantly waging war against each other. My hair will completely reject them by either shooting the pins out at their own kind or it twists them into useless deformity and eats the little rubber nubs on the ends. The bobby pins retaliate by ripping and breaking the hairs that they can and no amount of diplomacy stops them. Not pretty.

I stick with spin pins. I also got some roller pins, which are like giant bobby pins except they are much smoother, sturdier, and can hold more hair. They seem to have decent hold, but I'll have to wait and see how they stand up to daily activities. So far, so good.

Kelikea
January 28th, 2012, 10:17 PM
The good thing about the bunheads pins is no rubber tips. I used to use roller pins for years, before bunheads came out, and the rubber tips would come off and then the ends of the pins would rip into my hair. The bunheads have rounded tips that don't catch in your hair. The pin is round and there is nothing to snag.

jeanniet
January 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I haven't used bobby pins for years. They're not meant to hold much hair, and they're damaging for a lot of people anyway. If I need additional security for an updo, I use crinkled Amish pins (my hair spits out the straight ones). They hold very well.

AnimaSola3o4
January 28th, 2012, 10:34 PM
These:

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/771/ce1/771ce100-a15e-49cf-ae69-858929b1be8a

Will save your life.

Promise. :)

MissManda
January 28th, 2012, 11:04 PM
These:

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/771/ce1/771ce100-a15e-49cf-ae69-858929b1be8a

Will save your life.

Oh, I wish they sold those around here. I'll have to order some online eventually. Can't justify getting any more pins this month, haha.

Juanita
January 28th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Spin pins my favoites for holding a bun up.

Jessibear2854
January 28th, 2012, 11:44 PM
These:

Will save your life.

Ugh. I have the same problem with bobby pins and even these pins get rejected from my hair. It's really frustrating. I have some of the u-shaped pins but can't seem to figure out how to use them. They just fall right out.

I try to avoid pinned updos because of all this.....

AnimaSola3o4
January 29th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Have you got a Sally Beauty Supply store near you? They sell them there, just a different brand. :)

MissManda
January 29th, 2012, 01:10 AM
I think there's a Sally's in the next city over, but I've never been to that particular store. Maybe I'll go there when I have some extra time and money. :D

AnimaSola3o4
January 29th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Yea, it's definitely a store you will want to have extra money for lol, lots of hair stuff there that makes it easy to part with the monies!! They do have a discount club card thing, I am a member lol.

XcaliburGirl
January 29th, 2012, 06:22 AM
I only use bobby pins for holding back stray pieces of hair or bangs. I found that putting the wavy side on the bottom helps. I've never been able to do a pin bun of any kind. Spin pins sounds good though.

bbvt
January 29th, 2012, 06:56 AM
This sounds like everyday for me. =[ I can never use bobby pins without them falling out or losing them (which I hate!)

Honestwitness
January 29th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I often use bobby pins to hold a cinnabun in my fine hair. My secret to getting them to stay in is *NOT* opening them before sliding them in. Just let the little rounded tips grab their own small amount of hair and the hair itself will gently open the prongs as you slide the pin in. I also hold the pin perpendicular to the edge of the bun while catching just the outer edge of the twisted coil of hair and then bring the other end of the pin down parallel to the scalp and gently weave the pin into the bun, like one does with a hair stick.

Taking bobby pins out is also a challenge, but I have found it works much better if I don't get impatient. I gently find the nubby end with one hand and the closed end with the other hand. Then I gently push on the nubby end while pulling on the closed end, until the pin is safely out of my hair. I *NEVER* use a pin in which the rubber tip has come off. Those little monsters belong in the trash.

Honestwitness
January 29th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Sorry...double post.

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I'd try hair pins or use snap clips is what I call them they snap close and are metal. They have different sizes and colors. I used one of the large ones for my bun this fall.

Madora
January 29th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Successful updos with hairpins depends on how you insert them.

Just sticking them in won't work as they will wiggle out in time.

Using the "pivot" method helps keep crimped hairpins (of all sizes) in place and anchors the style comfortably.

|Xei
January 29th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I often use bobby pins to hold a cinnabun in my fine hair. My secret to getting them to stay in is *NOT* opening them before sliding them in. Just let the little rounded tips grab their own small amount of hair and the hair itself will gently open the prongs as you slide the pin in. I also hold the pin perpendicular to the edge of the bun while catching just the outer edge of the twisted coil of hair and then bring the other end of the pin down parallel to the scalp and gently weave the pin into the bun, like one does with a hair stick.

I also do this :) My hair only spits out bobby pins when I try to force too much hair into it.

slipperlady
January 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Conair sells a version of those plastic hairpins too. I love the way they hold. I like to put a couple spin pins in a bun and tuck a couple plastic ones in the side. It absolutely holds all day for me. On other days I just use hairsticks.

Just wanted to say to the gals who put bobby pins in their mouths while pinning up hair: Please don't! My late mother-in-law had a permanent chip in her tooth from doing that. I'm not sure if she bit down on it one day or what happened but I am wary of putting anything metal (other than an eating utensil) near my teeth.

elbow chic
January 29th, 2012, 12:19 PM
yeah, bobby pins don't do squat for me. I like Goody's "Bobby Slides" right now. They're much more substantial and have a wavy shape to them. They hold WAY better than regular ol bobby pins.

simplysnuggle
January 29th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully I will find something that will work.

These:

Will save your life.

I actually was trying these and they aren't working either. I'm not sure why. Oh well I guess it's time for a visit to Sally's :joy:

Kelikea
January 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Please, try the bunheads. I didn't find anything at Sally's that would hold my hair. The bunheads are meant to hold buns while dancing--they aren't going to get spat out. And they cost less for a whole tin than 2 spin pins.

white.chocolate
January 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Yes! I can no longer use bobby pins because they're just so frustrating. No matter, though. Most of them have disappeared around the house and I can't find them.

skyblue
January 29th, 2012, 02:08 PM
On days like that I use those little claw clips, my hair is thin but on wash day and a few days after it's so hard to keep the hair up!

BlazingHeart
January 29th, 2012, 02:47 PM
For me, the only thing bobby pins are good for is securing the front bit of my hair that likes to fall in my face when my hair is shorter. Other than that, they're useless. Thick hair doesn't like bobby pins, in my experience.

The only time someone has been able to secure things in my hair with bobby pins, they were bending the pins into a figure-4 and using enough hairspray that my hair was almost completely rigid. Not a good experience, not what I had asked for in a style, AND a disaster to get out.

~Blaze

GRU
January 29th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Spin pins for the win.... they are like MAGIC!!!!!

MissManda
January 29th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Yea, it's definitely a store you will want to have extra money for lol, lots of hair stuff there that makes it easy to part with the monies!! They do have a discount club card thing, I am a member lol.

Note to self: Pack a blindfold. :silly: