PDA

View Full Version : Are there any hair friendly styling products?

shikara
January 28th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Im not very optimistic about this:( I must admit! Im wanting to try a couple different curling methods for the scalp hair that doesnt go into the bun but I dont want it to all out in an hour....Ive never really used styling products much but Im guessing its mousses or sprays that would do this? Sheesh, theres so many new types of products out there I wuldnt know where to start, except to avoid 'glue'. Is there any aadvice you can give me?

akilina
January 28th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Mousse wouldn't make your hair curly if its not already curly. I put mousse in peoples hair all day and it never makes it curl. If you have some sort of wave pattern you could put it in and scrunch it maybe.
One thing that would work but might be time consuming for you would be to do pin curls or some sort of curl you roll up with your fingers. It's all about the placement though and what direction you roll them in and angles you roll them up in (by angle i sort of mean on base curls, off base curls, or half base curls) I could totally explain that better if i was there showing you but I'd look it up if it is confusing.
You could do something like this on wet hair and add a tiny bit of gel all over before you do the curls or maybe spray with hair spray as soon as you take the clips out

Hollyfire3
January 28th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Mousse wouldn't make your hair curly if its not already curly. I put mousse in peoples hair all day and it never makes it curl. If you have some sort of wave pattern you could put it in and scrunch it maybe.
One thing that would work but might be time consuming for you would be to do pin curls. It's all about the placement though and what direction you roll them in and angles you roll them up in (by angle i sort of mean on base curls, off base curls, or half base curls) I could totally explain that better if i was there showing you but I'd look it up if it is confusing.

Is mousse really all that damaging? That is the only styling product i use...what is a safe amount?

akilina
January 28th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Is mousse really all that damaging? That is the only styling product i use...what is a safe amount?
I think it really just depends on the ingredients in the product. It is possibly over time that it may have a slight drying effect but if you are oiling and doing treatments it would probably be just fine.
I know that I loveeee Biolage mousse. It smells fantastic and leaves the hair feeling good and smooth. It's not as drying as others from my experience. Idk though everyones hair is different and reacts different to certain things.

shikara
January 28th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Im sorry i guess i wasnt clear?? I have my hair in pin curls now but i dont want them tongo all limp on me tomorrow. There are a few other things I want to do too that would add different looks in the way of kinks (made vy damp braids), perhaps sock curls, etc.

shikara
January 28th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Ive always heard that spray is actually a form of glue and when your i dividual sprayed hairs come apart from one another, they can tear some of the keratin off the hair. Not sure about gels or mousse tho.

Hollyfire3
January 28th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I think it really just depends on the ingredients in the product. It is possibly over time that it may have a slight drying effect but if you are oiling and doing treatments it would probably be just fine.
I know that I loveeee Biolage mousse. It smells fantastic and leaves the hair feeling good and smooth. It's not as drying as others from my experience. Idk though everyones hair is different and reacts different to certain things.

Oh ok, i actually had breakage from heat styling combined with mechanical damage from putting so much mousse in my hair that it was hard, then i used to comb it out. Actually, i liked the waves i got then better than what i am stuck with now, so i was wondering how much mousse is typically least damaging. I might look into the biolage mousse, i need to find a less drying mousse i know that for sure. Which mousse specifically is it?

chou
January 28th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Oh, boy. I've been through a lot of styling products lately to control my increasingly out of control waves. When I used caution in styling my hair to avoid mechanical damage and avoided really heavy products I noticed no damage creeping up on me from product use. I don't think there's anything to fear there.
If you are worried that mousses that might be too drying (they are far less so than hairsprays and contain totally different ingredients) you can always try a light gel. I've heard good things about Garnier's Pure Clean gel and the ingredients list looks nice and gentle. I really love Curl Junkie's Curls in a Bottle because it has such a soft, shiny, moisturizing finish (no crunch!) but it's pricey. Aloe vera gel is an easy thing to try out but it usually leaves me with crunch and sometimes flaking. Homemade flax seed gel is something that many people have had great luck with for curl definition on naturally curly hair so it may be something to try for hold on curl sets. I believe that it's completely water soluble as well.
Most store bought styling products will build up eventually . If your hair feels dried out after a week or two of use it is probably build up rather than damage and you will need to shampoo.

Hollyfire3
January 28th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Oh, boy. I've been through a lot of styling products lately to control my increasingly out of control waves. When I used caution in styling my hair to avoid mechanical damage and avoided really heavy products I noticed no damage creeping up on me from product use. I don't think there's anything to fear there.
If you are worried that mousses that might be too drying (they are far less so than hairsprays and contain totally ingredients) you can always try a light gel. I've heard good things about Garnier's Pure Clean gel and the ingredients list looks nice and gently. I really love Curl Junkie's Curls in a Bottle because it has such a soft, shiny, moisturizing finish (no crunch!) but it's pricey. Aloe vera gel is an easy thing to try out but it usually leaves me with crunch and sometimes flaking. Homemade flax seed gel is something that many people have had great luck with for curl definition on naturally curly hair so it may be something to try for hold on curl sets. I believe that it's completely water soluble as well.
Most store bought styling products will build up eventually . If your hair feels dried out after a week or two of use it is probably build up rather than damage and you will need to shampoo.

I think the damage for me came from brushing the entirely hardened hair out...but i still do use mousse. I am currently searching for a good moisture mask, to counteract my horrible little mousse habit...

Moonlake
January 29th, 2012, 12:34 AM