PDA

View Full Version : Boar bristle brush questions

Orangerthanred
January 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I absolutely hate bbbs on my natural hair because it ruins the waves and makes my hair thrice it's size. But occasionally I wrap my hair straight and the bobby pin dents my hair, so I bought a bbb to smooth out the dents and maybe enjoy the feeling of brushing my hair once in a while. I have questions.

1: Are the bristles supposed to be black, stiff and look like plastic? The tag said it was a bbb, but it looks like it has plastic bristles. :confused:

2: How do you brush your hair with it without getting a forest of split ends and a HUGE poof on the upper layer of hair? I brushed my hair gently with it today and my hair looked like a big ball of cotton on the upper layer, and I gained a ton of new split ends.

Maybe I should throw it away, brushing isn't very good for my hair type. Brushing usually gives my hair volume, and I don't need volume- my hair is already overwhelmingly thick and poofy. :\

Kelikea
January 28th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Did you get a stiff bristle? That may be the problem. I have a bbb that I purchased at Sally's that the sales person recommended for my hair type. I also only use it when my hair is slightly oily because it helps massage and clean the scalp and pull the oil through the hair. If you are getting split ends, it is not the brush for you. It is also not what I use to style my hair unless it is just to smooth the outer layer for an updo. I usually use it before bed or bunning.

Hollyfire3
January 28th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Boar bristle brushed do the same thing to me, i would avoid it personally. Try just using a regualr brush to smooth the kink from the bobby pin. My biar bristle brush is harsh also.

Orangerthanred
January 28th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Did you get a stiff bristle? That may be the problem. I have a bbb that I purchased at Sally's that the sales person recommended for my hair type. I also only use it when my hair is slightly oily because it helps massage and clean the scalp and pull the oil through the hair. If you are getting split ends, it is not the brush for you. It is also not what I use to style my hair unless it is just to smooth the outer layer for an updo. I usually use it before bed or bunning.

I got a Brushstrokes bbb from Sally Beauty. It was the only bbb that I could find so I assumed it would work since everyone on here talks about how gentle they are. :(

What a waste of money. Now I can't get any hair stuff the rest of this month since that stupid brush costed my whole haircare budget.

Kelikea
January 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM
That's weird. They had a large selection of bbb when I went, ranging from $2 up. I think I paid around $5 for mine, it has a padded base for the bristles, most are just plain wood.

Orangerthanred
January 28th, 2012, 08:05 PM
That's weird. They had a large selection of bbb when I went, ranging from $2 up. I think I paid around $5 for mine, it has a padded base for the bristles, most are just plain wood.

My local store is really small. Most of the stuff they sell is product or hair styling tools. I think I should start going to Monroe Beauty instead... my brush was 10 dollars, my parents only buy me food and save money for college, so I buy my clothes and things. If only there was a goodwill for hair stuff. Working at Menards does not pay much lol.

sfgirl
January 28th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I only do a new hair care thing twice a month, and I usually do it like first two weeks; I buy something, second two weeks I try something that doesn't cost anything like an oil I already have, or a new updo. :)
I'm a student too, so I understand not having much. I think long hair costs less, because you're not keeping up with hair cuts or anything, and a lot of stuff will last a long time. My hair toys don't end up dying like my straighter always did.

Sha-na-na
January 28th, 2012, 08:33 PM
buy a Mason Pearson when you can, if you can, afford one. Your life will be changed. IMO, all others pale horribly in comparison. You will thank me. They are NOT created equal.

simplysnuggle
January 28th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I completely avoid brushes all together! They just pull out my curls and make my hair fluffy/frizzy! I just use my fingers or a wide toothed comb.