PDA

View Full Version : Help! Should I do it??

Pazita!
January 28th, 2012, 12:08 PM
My hair is like 2 inches away from waist, my hair has never been so long. The only problem is that about 3 inches of my hair are not looking so healthy, plus are thinner that the rest of the hair. Should I cut those 3 inches?? I feel so sad because my hair will be at BSL again so I will feel like again is too short and feel that no matter what I will never have the long hair I want :(. But at the same thime I don't want waist length hair that looks damaged and thin at the ends... What would you do?

lapushka
January 28th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I'd not cut 3 inches at once. That's a lot! Do some micro-trims (1/2 an inch) every few months or so. This way you'll still be on your way to WL, and you'll be slowly cutting the damage off too.

Gingerbear
January 28th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Ohhh....that's always a tough decision. I wish I could see what your hair looked like. We're all our own worst critic and I am sure the ends look better than you think.

Not having seen it, if I were you I would trim about a quarter to a half inch per month. That way, you will be thinkening up your ends, while maintaining your length. And...if you happen to get a growth spurt in there or your hair grows fast, you could even gain some length despite your trims. I think if you do a drastic cut, you will get depressed. :)

Pazita!
January 28th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I'd not cut 3 inches at once. That's a lot! Do some micro-trims (1/2 an inch) every few months or so. This way you'll still be on your way to WL, and you'll be slowly cutting the damage off too.
Thank you! That's a great idea! :)

Amber_Maiden
January 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I agree, do microtrims!!!

vrm84
January 28th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I have to agree. Don't trim 3 inches... Just trim a tiny little bit.

spidermom
January 28th, 2012, 12:31 PM
If it were me, I'd sacrifice those 3 inches and be done with it. I don't like looking forward to trimming and more trimming; would rather know that I get to keep all/most of the inches I grow.

Hollyfire3
January 28th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Definitly microtrim to thicken up the ends, i just had 3 inches cut off my hair for the same reason and i hate it, wish i had told the hairdresser not to cut most of the damage off...:(

Anywhere
January 28th, 2012, 12:48 PM
they will probably thin out again once you get back to this length if you cut. You'd have to go 6 months (assuming you have "average" hair growth) to get those 3" back, and since not every hair grows at the same rate you will still have taper.

I agree with either a small (1"?) trim or microtrims every so often.
If you look into the mineral oil threads, it's helped improve some people's hair health and prevented them from trimming. The wonderful Ktani is the expert on that. I'd try exhausting your options before trimming off so much though.

Pazita!
January 28th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Thank you a lot everyone!!! I don't what I would do without you :). So I will do the microtrims, that way eventually I will get rid of the damage and still have long hair. Thank you again!

Pazita!
January 28th, 2012, 12:56 PM
they will probably thin out again once you get back to this length if you cut. You'd have to go 6 months (assuming you have "average" hair growth) to get those 3" back, and since not every hair grows at the same rate you will still have taper.

I agree with either a small (1"?) trim or microtrims every so often.
If you look into the mineral oil threads, it's helped improve some people's hair health and prevented them from trimming. The wonderful Ktani is the expert on that. I'd try exhausting your options before trimming off so much though.

The thin ends are because of the layers =/.

Aethernaught
January 28th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I'm thinking of cutting my longest layers up to meet a medium set to get rid of some of my fluff/shag effect. I feel your pain! I think though in your case with a real love of the length you've achieved, people's advice on micro-trimming seems really sound; if I were you I'd lean that way. Also what sort of shape does the back of your hair have, the hem? If you're in something like a V you could go more U or flatter, and not seem to lose quite so much apparent length while taking off some damaged middle ends.

blondie9912
January 28th, 2012, 01:32 PM
If it were me, I'd sacrifice those 3 inches and be done with it. I don't like looking forward to trimming and more trimming; would rather know that I get to keep all/most of the inches I grow.

This. Freshly trimmed ends feel amazing!

Deborah
January 28th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Yep! This is what I'd do too. To me a couple inches of damage is NOT worth keeping.

jacqueline101
January 28th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I'd micro trim the ends. I'd hate for you to give up that much hair.

Henrietta
January 28th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I know that for people who already have long hair, like TBL or classic, it could be easy to cut 3 inches at once, and that freshly trimmes ends feel amazing. But if you don't want to sacrifice that much length, just do the microtrims, half an inch every month or two and it WILL work, it works for me, but it will take longer. If you will feel like it it long and you have still much to trim, remember that cutting 3 inches at once would be more painful for you. It always helps me:) I prefer coping up with the view of 3 inches of dry and thin ends than losing a year of growth in 20 seconds.

simplysnuggle
January 28th, 2012, 02:22 PM

I second this! Chopping off a lot at one time might make you discouraged about your growth. A little at a time and you will still have progress!

monsterna
January 28th, 2012, 02:28 PM

I agree with this. Trimming little bits here and there only gives the hair more time to spread the damage up more. Then it's just perpetual trimming.

Pazita!
January 28th, 2012, 05:53 PM
At the end I cut 1 inch and my hair looks so so much better. My hair doesn't look perfect but it looks much better with that 1 inch off. I will cut the other 2 inches with microtrimming. Thank you again =)

einna
January 28th, 2012, 06:08 PM
At the end I cut 1 inch and my hair looks so so much better. My hair doesn't look perfect but it looks much better with that 1 inch off. I will cut the other 2 inches with microtrimming. Thank you again =)

I think that sound very good. Just what I was about to recommend before I saw that you had already trimmed.
Now I would suggest that you do a clarifying wash, then a deep treatment. That will help you see how much is "real damage", and how much is product build up and plain dryness.

elbow chic
January 28th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I vote small trims. Sometimes people come in here posting pictures of how bad their ends look, and sometimes even just an inch or even a half-inch winds up making all the difference.

Also, I don't care for thick ends that much. Harder to put up, imo.

cindy58
January 28th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I'd cut it and enjoy the niceness of it when it's done. I have done several big trims in the last year and half or so, and it seems like it grows back pretty rapidly.

sfgirl
January 28th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I always get all my dead off at once. I'd rather not feel any damage, and get it over with. Besides, I'm more proud of having healthy hair. Healthy BSL always stands out to me more than WL damaged. BSL is still considered very long in most circles. Plus you'll have a clean, fresh start. :)