PDA

View Full Version : How to close the cuticle?

mzBANGBANG
January 28th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Yesterday, my hairdresser friend told me my cuticles were open on my hair.

I have no clue what this means, lol.

Is it good or bad? I see results on google for when you want the cuticle to be open and when you want it to close. How do I close the hair cuticle?

I was actually surprised to hear this considering how much I have put into my routine. :(

pepperminttea
January 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
This article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) might help. :)

mzBANGBANG
January 28th, 2012, 08:59 AM
This article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) might help. :)

Thank you! Sorry, I'm still learning my way around here. :)

Kelikea
January 28th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Heat opens your cuticle. This is important for cleansing and conditioning to take place, so you wash with warm water. Cold water closes the cuticle, so you rinse with cool water. A closed cuticle also results in shiny hair. Also, alkaline=open cuticle and acidic=closed cuticle, so you may need a more acidic shampoo or use an acidic rinse, such as tea or vinegar.

einna
January 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Many people here use a (very) diluted apple cider vinegar rinse to close the cuticle after washing. White vinegar or lemon also work.

mzBANGBANG
January 28th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Many people here use a (very) diluted apple cider vinegar rinse to close the cuticle after washing. White vinegar or lemon also work.

I ended up using an undiluted rice vinegar and freezing cold rinse... I think it did the trick! But maybe I should dilute it in the future... considering a quarter of the bottle is now gone. :(

Orangerthanred
January 28th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Cold water, if you have a removable shower head or you are willing to freeze your back off in the shower.

spidermom
January 28th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Diluted works fine. I use maybe 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar in 1 quart of water.

sfgirl
January 28th, 2012, 08:27 PM
This thread was really helpful. I always had this problem, even when my hair was virgin

owlathena
January 28th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I've recently started apple cider vinegar rinses and my hair is so happy! I use a 1:3 or so dilution, leave it on my hair for a couple minutes while I shave my legs or something, and then rinse it with cool water

darklion
January 28th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I agree with the ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse... I've never had more compliments regarding the shininess of my hair since I started with the vinegar rinses. I really don't like the cold water rinses so.... the acidic rinse works great for me.
I use one capful of vinegar to a quart of water. Pour it on my head. Let sit for a minute or so. Then I rinse it out. Voila! Shiny & soft hair.