PDA

View Full Version : First Feye's Trim!

Nevermore
July 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM
It was so, so easy! Well, except for the parting it straight in the back part, which took quite awhile, but I managed to get my hair perfectly even and the cutting only took a few minutes, including checking for evenness and trimming one side up a tiny bit more to make it even :cheese: <--- yay! I finally have a use for the dancing cheese!

I'm debating on doing this monthly or every other month to get to one length hair (I'd like to remove the layers I still have from the cut I'm growing out) and the fresh ends feel really nice, so I may keep doing very small trims.

paulap20
July 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Congratulations!

I also started doing this due to many layers but am only trimming every six months. Last week I "trimmed" 2 inches. Since the layering was so severe you couldn't tell except for the scraggly, approx. 50 hairs were no longer hanging down lower.

Nevermore
July 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I trimmed away one scraggly bit that was probably only that much. I hadn't seen it before because I almost never wear my hair down, but as soon as I saw it, I knew it had to go and now that I've broken the seal on trimming, so to speak, I figure I might as well go for one length hair.

ladystar
July 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM
YAY!!!! I think I will be trying this the next time I trim!!! Congrats!!!

kwaniesiam
July 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Congrats! I used to love doing those kinds of trims, I can't wait until my hair gets long enough to do them again.

Nevermore
July 16th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks ladystar and kwaniesiam!

I forget who it was who suggested doing a banded pony in the ponytail-to-trim-the-tip step for a U shaped hemline, but whoever it is deserves cake. It's much easier than sliding the elastic all the way down to the ends.

DavidN
July 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Congratulations, Nevermore, on a successful self trim, and I am happy it worked so well for you.

Amoretti
July 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Congrats! I was just looking at her website today and will be following her method for my trim. :)

DecafJane
July 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Well done! I'm going to be trying this next year, too. :)

yogachic
July 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I didn't have much luck with this when I tried it. I don't know if i was doing something wrong, or my hair wasn't long enough??

Chromis
July 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Yay! I love self-trimming and hearing about other people trying it :)

Yogachick - I'm not sure if it works as well for curlies. I know there's a method for curly haired folk in Massey's "Curly Girl" book that I hear folks rave about, maybe someone can shed some light on that for you!

MsBubbles
July 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hey! Me too! I just did my first one today, although I think it would pass more as a dusting because it doesn't look like I did a thing to it. I think I only took off 1/4" off the very tip of the V because I was too chicken to take off any more. So my v-shaped ends are a bit blunter now, all 100 hairs of it. :)

I'm glad yours worked out well!

I think I need to just put it up and fuhgedaboudit for about 6 months.

Country Cowcurl
July 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM
every little bit counts, MsBubbles ;) i'm sure your hair has noticed the difference, no matter how small it may seem

sapphire-o
July 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Today must be a good day for trims! I just did my first ever self-trim, too. :) I'm quite satisfied with the results and didn't lose as much length as I expected. I took off 1 3/4". I did make one side a bit longer and had to go back and fix that. It's the curly ends that was the most trouble. I think next time I'll try to wet the ends.

Congrats on having total control of your own hair! :D

SweetPea88
July 16th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Congrats! :) I love Feye's method for trimming, it's so quick and easy to do. I'm doing them monthly to get rid of my layers.

Nevermore
July 16th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks everybody!

yogachic: I did my trim after a moderately heavy oiling and a water only rinse, so I had wet, oiled, straight until it dried hair for the trim. I think it's a necessity to make curly/wurly hair as straight as possible for a self trim if you're not going to go curl-by-curl the way some curlies do.

sapphire-o: Congrats on your trim! It certainly feels good to know that I can self trim easily and accurately. I don't live with my partner as of yet and she's the only other person I would trust to trim my hair, so being able to do it myself is great.

chelles2kids
July 17th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Congrats on your first self-trim!!!:cheer:

I remember the very first time I did a self-trim, I combed, parted, re-parted, combed again several more times, before I ever even dared to put the scissors to it.
After it was all done and over with, I realized how anxious I had been about doing it.

Each time that you trim, you will become more confident and it just becomes another chore to do, like plucking your eyebrows.

I'm so happy that it turned out to your liking, I think alot of people don't try it because it does seem so daunting, but if you can ever get over those first-time jitters and try it the first time, it's sooo worth it.

Michelle

Siava
July 17th, 2008, 07:34 AM
That is so cool. I'm glad you were able to do it with success. I'd love to try, but my hair isn't quite long enough yet. Still, this is inspirational for the future. Cutting one's hair for the first time is so scary!!

Curlsgirl
July 17th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Before my hair was long enough I got my DH to pull the scrunchy all the way down. Now I have to again because I can't reach it and when I try to do it from the side I tend to get if off center. I have been using this method for a couple of years now and LOVE it!

paulap20
July 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
yogachic - My hair is curly and I cut mine while wet. Also I find it harder to cut thicker hair like my daughters. Which I have to cut, comb, trim, comb, and trim. She's four and has thicker hair than her mama :).

Cereus
July 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I've done two self trims so far in my two year hair growing spree. I cut off about an inch of scraggle each time. I've been growing out layers. I just want to say how relieved I was to realize that I could trim my own hair! I was stressing about going to the salon before I tried it. I think it helped to wait until it was long enough to reach the ends properly though.

Nevermore
July 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
chelles2kids: I had been considering it for months and being nervous/unsure, but I was more excited over doing it and doing it right by the time I actually did it.

Curlsgirl: The banded pony seemed to solve this for me, I straightened out the sections that had to be banded from the side by pulling the ponytail out straight behind me by holding the elastic and letting it slide down until it looked/felt/was straight, if that makes sense.

Cereus: I have something approaching a phobic dislike of salons, for so many reasons. I can't stand being touched by people I'm not extremely close to, I can't stand how often they turn "small trim" into "short cut, with layers and some thinning" or how pressured I feel in places like that. Ugh. I'm so glad I can self trim and even more glad that my partner would be willing to do trims for me if I ever became disabled or something.

tiny_teesha
July 20th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I used feye's method for straight across, and i've used the V hemn method too.
I do the straight one monthly and i'm not too fussed with makeing it perfect because i trim monthly so it will only be uneven for a month, and there aren't that much ends ( it only takes one snip!) :) It's a great method- i don't trust hairdressers or my mum even to cut they will chop too much!

Curlsgirl
July 21st, 2008, 07:24 AM
I forget who it was who suggested doing a banded pony in the ponytail-to-trim-the-tip step for a U shaped hemline, but whoever it is deserves cake. It's much easier than sliding the elastic all the way down to the ends.

What is this "banded pony method you speak of"? Could someone please explain the difference in this and the way Feye's directions are? Thanks!

danacc
July 26th, 2008, 12:24 AM
What is this "banded pony method you speak of"? Could someone please explain the difference in this and the way Feye's directions are? Thanks!

I believe for the "banded pony" method, the ponytail is banded, or made into a caterpillar style. For the part of Feye's directions where you are directed to make a low ponytail, then slide the elastic down the length of it, instead you make a low ponytail, and slide the elastic down just a little bit. Then take another elastic and put it several inches lower than the first, keeping the length even when pulled straight and centered. Then take another and put it several inches lower than that one, and so on. You are creating a "caterpillar tail" like the one shown in the instructions here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=35. (The instructions start differently on the head--don't do that part. It is the tail that is the same, not the style on top.)

Placing elastics at short intervals down the length of the ponytail keeps the length even. On longer hair, this method can be easier to manage than pulling a single elastic down evenly for the full length.

Nevermore
July 26th, 2008, 10:59 PM
danacc is right Curlsgirl! It's just putting elastics at regular intervals on the ponytail. I did about every 2-3 inches. I pulled the last one down, instead of the first/only one as the site directed.