PDA

View Full Version : How to trim your layers?

CSallaround
January 27th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I don't know if a thread like this already exists, maybe I just suck at browsing the forum - if so I'm sorry.

Well I'm currently growing out layers that are jawlength and shoulderlength (rest of my hair is APL) and I want to trim my hair myself because I don't have a lot of money recently. I tried today, but I'm not sure if I got to all of the layers.

Anyone have some technique to selftrimming - or more specifically trimming your layers?

Zefyra
January 27th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I remember seeing a video on youtube where the woman gathered all of her hair near the front of her head and then cut downward at about a 45d starting from the front, when she released her hair it was layered and in a V shape. Not sure if that would be helpful for you, but it seemed like a simple method.
I have sort of developed my own way, I gather each of my layers in seperate ponytails on each side, and starting from the bottom I trim each to the length I like. (Sort of a modified Feyes Self trim) After Ive done that, I release each one and make any adjustments I need to. It usually takes me about 20 minutes, as opposed to the 5 I believe that first method would take.
HTH

B-L
January 27th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I saw someone do it on LHC but I don't remember where. I think she did smal sections at the time, twisting the section around and then trimming of all the hairs that stood out from the strand.. It's so hard to explain :D I'll try to finde it..

CSallaround
January 29th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Thnx for the responses

I remember seeing a video on youtube where the woman gathered all of her hair near the front of her head and then cut downward at about a 45d starting from the front, when she released her hair it was layered and in a V shape. Not sure if that would be helpful for you, but it seemed like a simple method.
I have sort of developed my own way, I gather each of my layers in seperate ponytails on each side, and starting from the bottom I trim each to the length I like. (Sort of a modified Feyes Self trim) After Ive done that, I release each one and make any adjustments I need to. It usually takes me about 20 minutes, as opposed to the 5 I believe that first method would take.
HTH

I tried sectioning my hair like that, but it was hard to separate the layers and see what belonged where. Maybe I just need some more practice xD thnx anyway :D

Sissilonghair
January 29th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Maybe this video might help...
She has short hair but you can use the technique even on longer hair.
I used this technique sometime to just add layers on the side of my hair.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=IT#/watch?v=J_ILr9bvpSE

MissAlida
January 29th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I did a thread on this a while back, I'll try to find a link for you. Anyways, I had the same problem, but I wanted to keep my layers, I didn't want to grow them out. So I started to trim once a week. I put my hair (when it had conditioner on it) in a high ponytail, straightened it upwards, towards the sky, and then cut the very ends. Just 1/8 of an inch. I did this once a week, on wash days.Now, all my layers fit into the pony, and I can cut them together. I must warn you tough, that you'll get a V hemline with this method, and a layered hair. I'll go and look for the link, then edit.:)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75497

Here's a youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1SVhIr_-6M
I cringed when I saw how much lenght she cut, but anyways...just to help you make an idea of the method. Good luck

CSallaround
January 29th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Maybe this video might help...
She has short hair but you can use the technique even on longer hair.
I used this technique sometime to just add layers on the side of my hair.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=IT#/watch?v=J_ILr9bvpSE

It seems the link doesn't go directly to a video :/

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I'd not trim my own layers I'd get someone to help me. Do you have a friend that would?

CSallaround
January 29th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I sectioned the different layers and cut 1 cm off each section. Some of your suggestions seem easier so will probably try one of them next time. Thank you so much. :)

I'd not trim my own layers I'd get someone to help me. Do you have a friend that would?

My mum cut my hair several times, but with the layers she finds it hard, so I prefer to do it myself. I don't know anyone else who can cut hair (and I don't trust a lot of people with my precious hair either xD)

long.again
January 29th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I occasionally use a CreaClip to trim my layers - but I always need to touch some areas up.

motormuffin
January 29th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I use a crea clip. I bend over and brush out my hair. I put the clip in mohawk ways and pull it out to the end. Then I trim it over the trash can. Stand up and brush it out and then do it again to make sure I didn't miss any. I may need help soon because my arms are getting too short.

Bagginslover
January 30th, 2012, 02:17 AM

This is how I cat my hair back in December, I then had my boyfriend straighten up my hemline. You can see how layered it is in my avatar. Its really easy, but you cannot control the length of your layers.

I gathered all my hair forwar into a ponytail in an elastic at my hairline, put a second elastic in further down the loose hair, then cut further down again (so both elastics were left attached to me).

krissykins
January 30th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Random question: Do you know what kind of layers you have? Square, round, convex, concave? If you're interested in maintaining the same type of layers, it may be in your best interest to have them cut by someonee who has been trained to work with layers. My hairstylist friend helped me maintain my layers and she didn't charge me a thing.

One good choice if you don't know anyone in your area is to visit a hairdressing school. The cost would be lower than a salon. :)

LeMimi13
March 16th, 2015, 04:35 PM
I have this one piece at the front - a growing out bang kind of piece- that curls inward. I want to trim it because it seems damaged and uneven.. any special angle? I dont wanna loose movement and stuff